wes welker

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by studsatele, Aug 12, 2005.

1. studsatele

studsatele Starter Super Donator Donator

i hope we use wes welker in our offense alot this year. he seems to have morethan just kr/pr talent and could add a whole new demesion to the offense.

2. Phin

Phin Huard for QB!

You are right... he has kr/pr/ko/fg/wr... he can probably play on defense as well. I would love to see him give a tony bua type hit to someone one day.

3. Astro_Fiend

Astro_Fiend Well-Known Member

yea, i'd love to see him play some more this year.

4. FanMarino

FanMarino HOF Pass Master

We will see alot more of Wes play at WR this coming season IMO. After pre season of course but i see him being a suprise for us. We all know he has the jinking moves and he can run. All we need to know now is how good are his hands.

5. techsanfx4

techsanfx4 Professional Beer Taste Tester

From the Sun-Sentinel:

6. ChicagoPhinFan

ChicagoPhinFan Don't blame me for where I live

I too share your enthusiasm for his potential, however, I caution over-using him. He is not big and I would really hate to lose him on special teams due to getting hurt as a WR. He needs to stay healthy for us and I would like to see him used sparingly on offense.

7. Outrider01

Outrider01 Pimp of the Year

Wes Welker will be used probably exactly like Dante Hall was used. Returning like a madman, and sparingly at WR. Especially since the Fins are much deeper at WR than the chiefs were/are.

Look for him on "unique" plays and crazy formations. Do I smell a quadruple reverse?:lol:

8. techsanfx4

(knocking on wood) I've seen that guy take some BIG hits in the four years of his college career at Tech, but never saw him miss a game due to injury. There were numerous rumors floating around all of the time about injuries he had, but he never left the field because of it. Welker has some heart let me tell ya.

9. TIP

TIP Starter

good talent, came out of nowhere, maybe a dante hall type, could be a slot receiver type....

10. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife F-A-L

i think he is the most virsitile player in the NFL now or at least close to it, maybe we sold try him out at corner:D:goof:

11. PhinsPhan

PhinsPhan Pro Bowler

I think he would be best used in 5WR formations. Line him up in the slot on the strong side and develop screen with Boston and Booker as blockers. Two big guys that will demand attention and help to hide Welker. Not to mention if you ran 4 deep and then had Welker run a drag route, he has the vision (assuming from kickoff returns) and size to find a spot against a zone. He is also too fasts for most dime backs and safties.

12. canesfins13

canesfins13 FinHeaven VIP

He might not even make the team

13. Regina Phin

Regina Phin Starter

I completely agree. We have good WR talent on this team, and I'd hate to see him take a big hit across the middle and end up out of the special teams game.

14. byroan

byroan Banned Hammered

Care to explain why?

15. touborg

touborg Board Linebacker

Eh? what the hell are you talking about ?

16. Dolphreak

Dolphreak Seasoned Veteran

That's just crazy talk... Wes Rocks!!

17. techsanfx4

You know there has to be at least one negative attitude out there.

:shakeno:

18. TIP

TIP Starter

Sean Saulsberry or however u spell his name is an idiot.....bad qb, bad analyst.

19. FinNasty

FinNasty "The Sticker Dunk"

Heres the thing about using Wes alot...

In 2003, Dante Hall was the man! You all remember, they would get almost a TD a game just from special teams. However, last year they began to use him more on offense. When they started doin this, it caused Hall to be much less effective as a KR/PR man. My only concern about using more of Wes on offense is that it might have a very similar effect on him... thoughts? :feedback:

Nasty

20. FinNasty

Just because he said he might not make the team? He might not. He definatly isnt a "lock" and will need to earn his spot on the roster. Obviously he is a he!! of a kick returner... but I feel he is gunna have to prove his worth as a back-up WR to make the team. So far he has been doing just that and has seemed pretty consistant catching the ball... but he will need to keep it up to make the team.

For the record, I like Wes and that was not a negative attitude... it is just my opinion...

Nasty

21. Dolphin North

Dolphin North A True Fan

He looked like Wayne Chrebet going across the middle in the game. Courage for a smaller guy. That's a good thing. I think Welker will overachieve and be a good playmaker. A fan favorite for sure. He will pop up when we most need a play, on offense or on returns. The difference is Chrebet wore a stupid green uniform.

22. RWhitney014

RWhitney014 Ginger Whit

:m359:

23. RWhitney014

RWhitney014 Ginger Whit

A quadruple reverse, flea-flicker, drop-kick to a punt return for a touchdown. The amazing thing, Wes will be the only one touching the ball the whole time. And he'll probably tackle himself in the end zone.

24. ccphinfan

ccphinfan Pro Bowler

:rawk: :beerbang: :drinkers: :cpatch: :hump:

25. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Manning to Tyree = Best SB Play EVER!!!!

I disagree, I think what made him a less effective returner was the fact that teams were paying much more attention to him and kicking the ball away from him

26. FinNasty

That most definatly played a part... however Dante was taking alot more hits and just playing alot more than he did in 2003. That definatly effects players especially the smaller ones like Dante and Wes... If we are sending Wes on slants over the middle (which I have seen a good amount of in practice and in the preseason game) Wes is gunna take a pounding that his body hasnt experienced before... Im worried it could hurt Welker's explosiveness on kick returns...

Nasty

27. Semedi

Semedi Pro Bowler

I really want to see a quick backwards pass to Welker out in the flat, where he pauses for a second, and then heaves a pass deep to Chambers for a TD! I just know Welker has a little QB in him somewhere...

28. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Manning to Tyree = Best SB Play EVER!!!!

I guess this is a place where we agree to disagree. What about Tim Dwight? He is still a good return guy and he is a MUCH better reciever than Dante.

29. FinNasty

:lol: yes... agree to disagree. It isnt like I am absolutly positive that playing more will hurt his KR abiliities or anything... more just like concerned. I do love what he can do in the open field and feel that he could be a dangerous weapon in the passing game IF used correctly... Quick passes to him in the flats that give him some seperation between him and the defenders would allow him to use his field vision and quickness to the most of his ability. He can also be used in WR screens and reverses because these type of plays also appeal to his strenghts... If he is used correctly, I think he can be dangerous... however I am just a little concerned of how it might effect him physically...

Nasty

30. techsanfx4

Even in college defenders had I good size advantage on him. We are talking about playing defenses like Texas, OU, A&M, and many other well know defensive teams. I know, I know...big difference between college and pro. Point is, he has made his living slanting across the middle and going out into the flats. I'm sure he knows his limits, and I'm positive his good vision will keep him safe and on his feet. Just look at how wide open he can get himself, which in turn gives him plenty of room to run.

http://m2texas.com/dyon/WelkerVideo.wmv

Sorry, this video never gets old to me. :D

31. spydertl79

spydertl79 A True Fan

If he was taller then he probably would be a great WR

32. FinNasty

He definatly would be. He has great quickness and field vision... pretty consistant hands... and with some height, he would really be good...

33. techsanfx4

Well, he isn't going to grow in height anymore, so they might as well exploit hs ability to get open and break tackles.

You know, if he did have the height, he would probably not have the quickness, vision, or great hands. It usually works out that way. He probably evolved into the receiver he is through the years due to his lack in size. you never know, that may end up being his greatest advantage.

34. pilotfish

pilotfish Veteran.

For some reason I get an uneasy feeling that Saban doesn't focus as much attention on special teams as have earlier regimes. That said, I'm thrilled that Welker is performing as well as he is as a receiver. After so many years of a pathetic return game, last year was tremendously refreshing in that regard. I'd hate to lose this guy and his performance as a reciever, I think, makes him a virtual lock.

35. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

he is a lock to make this team.

he is starting KR and PR.

he is the 5th WR.

he is the backup K.