What a good coach does! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What a good coach does!

Ray R

Club Member
Reaction score
When Adam Gase was hired he told the players what he wanted from them and that as far as he was concerned they were all starting with a clean slate. He made it clear he would play the guys he felt would give the team the best chance of winning. The team was 4 games into the season when he made some cuts. Many on this forum had picked out their favorite bad guys and said they should be eliminated immediately. These two cuts were two of the most disliked. Some fans were mad because he waited so long - this guy doesn't know what he's doing, blah, blah, blah.

What Coach Gase did was keep his word to the team. This was fair. Every player on the team knew it. Things got better. This was a teaching lesson showing that players were going to be held accountable for their performance. This is what a good coach does!

When this season started he made some changes to the training program for new team members, based on what worked and what needed to be improved over what was done the first year. This constant improvement is characteristic of good teaching. This is what a good coach does!

Fast forward to our current situation.

Some key players had not performed well the last few games. They were failing to meet some basic standards, such as knowing their assignments. There were repeated patterns of failure. Coach Gase held those players accountable; he cut one and let the other be traded. This was fair. Every player on the team knows it. He has continued to keep his word to the team. This is what a good coach does!

Coach Gase has now made some changes to what we do in practices. This constant improvement is characteristic of good teaching. This is what a good coach does!

I forgot to mention the most important thing a good coach does. HE WINS! Coach Gase has a winning record with what everyone on this forum has considered a fractured team. This is what a good coach does!

Good points. I have to wonder if Ajayi was someone he could have worked with, though. You just hate to give away talent. Certainly have to trust the process to a degree especially because Gase has managed to win games here.

The offense is an absolute huge disappointment, though, especially since that is really Gase's expertise. Last in almost every category just doesn't make me feel great about Gase.

Then you look around the division and the Jets are getting it done without a lot of offensive talent. Buffalo has looked good and New England is still the defending champion.

Every offseason seems critical, but this one is so huge. Miami needs to turn the offense around in a hurry. It looks like pretty much a total rebuild on that side of the ball.

You made some good points. He has held up to what he said when coming in. He has some characteristics of a really good coach and I hope he turns out to be a legendary coach one day. And I think everyone on this board could care less what he does if he keeps winning. In all likely hood this team could be a one loss team with tannehill playing this season and none of these conversations would be happening. let the guy have a healthy roster and give him some time to build his team the way he wants it and I think we will all be happy in the end.

Good points. I have to wonder if Ajayi was someone he could have worked with, though. You just hate to give away talent. Certainly have to trust the process to a degree especially because Gase has managed to win games here.

The offense is an absolute huge disappointment, though, especially since that is really Gase's expertise. Last in almost every category just doesn't make me feel great about Gase.

Then you look around the division and the Jets are getting it done without a lot of offensive talent. Buffalo has looked good and New England is still the defending champion.

Every offseason seems critical, but this one is so huge. Miami needs to turn the offense around in a hurry. It looks like pretty much a total rebuild on that side of the ball.

I do not disagree

The difference we see in Gase over the other coaches the Dolphins have had recently is this guy wants it. He wants to win. He wants to be the best and he wants guys that want the same. And as someone with the same mindset in life I cant help but get behind a guy like that. So if he thought Jay needed to go then bye Felicia.

At least thats what i see in him.

When Adam Gase was hired he told the players what he wanted from them and that as far as he was concerned they were all starting with a clean slate. He made it clear he would play the guys he felt would give the team the best chance of winning. The team was 4 games into the season when he made some cuts. Many on this forum had picked out their favorite bad guys and said they should be eliminated immediately. These two cuts were two of the most disliked. Some fans were mad because he waited so long - this guy doesn't know what he's doing, blah, blah, blah.

What Coach Gase did was keep his word to the team. This was fair. Every player on the team knew it. Things got better. This was a teaching lesson showing that players were going to be held accountable for their performance. This is what a good coach does!

When this season started he made some changes to the training program for new team members, based on what worked and what needed to be improved over what was done the first year. This constant improvement is characteristic of good teaching. This is what a good coach does!

Fast forward to our current situation.

Some key players had not performed well the last few games. They were failing to meet some basic standards, such as knowing their assignments. There were repeated patterns of failure. Coach Gase held those players accountable; he cut one and let the other be traded. This was fair. Every player on the team knows it. He has continued to keep his word to the team. This is what a good coach does!

Coach Gase has now made some changes to what we do in practices. This constant improvement is characteristic of good teaching. This is what a good coach does!

I forgot to mention the most important thing a good coach does. HE WINS! Coach Gase has a winning record with what everyone on this forum has considered a fractured team. This is what a good coach does!

All good points. Sadly, in your defense of Gase, you stayed away from his issues. Chronic slow starts, dumbing down offense/defense in back to back years and the belief you could roll this season with trash interior offensive line play.

That is on Gase, and he and you people need to own it. Like I previously said...people here will defend it or live with it.

All good points. Sadly, in your defense of Gase, you stayed away from his issues. Chronic slow starts, dumbing down offense/defense in back to back years and the belief you could roll this season with trash interior offensive line play.

That is on Gase, and he and you people need to own it. Like I previously said...people here will defend it or live with it.
And thats true as well. But hes a first time head coach and you have to take the bad decisions with that. A great coach will learn from those mistakes, so we will see how he responds to those bad decisions.

A good coach also makes unpopular decisions for the betterment of the team.
A good coach doesn't look for fans approval when making decisions.
We need to give the man a chance to be great, he deserves it.

A good coach also makes unpopular decisions for the betterment of the team.
A good coach doesn't look for fans approval when making decisions.
We need to give the man a chance to be great, he deserves it.
Fully agree

The one thing that I really appreciate, and I hope that players can respect, is that you know what the guy is thinking. He doesn't play games or question what he is looking for. This guy is a straight shooter, calls it like he sees it and lets you know what is going on in his mind and what he is looking for out of his players. He simply wants everyone to do their job so that he can do his and I don't think that's too much to ask of professionals.

The one thing that I really appreciate, and I hope that players can respect, is that you know what the guy is thinking. He doesn't play games or question what he is looking for. This guy is a straight shooter, calls it like he sees it and lets you know what is going on in his mind and what he is looking for out of his players. He simply wants everyone to do their job so that he can do his and I don't think that's too much to ask of professionals.
Seriously. You would think you wouldnt have to ask guys making millions to do their job correctly...

Is there really a sector of FH that legitimately wants Gase fired now? It just seems like we have gotten used to not sucking way too fast.

Why are our expectations so high that we want a coach with a winning record fired mid way through the season? Did we make the playoffs for the last decade and I didn't notice? Did Tannehill come back healthy and exceeding expectations too?

What makes people expect excellence when we just became relevant last year?

Is there really a sector of FH that legitimately wants Gase fired now? It just seems like we have gotten used to not sucking way too fast.

Why are our expectations so high that we want a coach with a winning record fired mid way through the season? Did we make the playoffs for the last decade and I didn't notice? Did Tannehill come back healthy and exceeding expectations too?

Same concept as a get rich quick scheme. Some people just arent willing to put the work in to get to where they want.

You make good points but the reason nobody wants to wait a year or two is the fact that we haven't won a super bowl in 44 years!!!
Think about that for a moment. Since the last time we won a super bowl the expansion Marlins won two world series and the expansion heat won 3 NBA finals. The Red Sox, Cubs and Astros won the World Series. Since the last time we won Dan Marino played 17 years and was done 20 years ago. I know that none of that is Gase's fault but the reality is everyone is tired of losing.

Ozzy rules!!

You make good points but the reason nobody wants to wait a year or two is the fact that we haven't won a super bowl in 44 years!!!
Think about that for a moment. Since the last time we won a super bowl the expansion Marlins won two world series and the expansion heat won 3 NBA finals. The Red Sox, Cubs and Astros won the World Series. Since the last time we won Dan Marino played 17 years and was done 20 years ago. I know that none of that is Gase's fault but the reality is everyone is tired of losing.

Ozzy rules!!
Fair. I guess I would be the same if I had been alive for all of those years.

Back
Top Bottom