What a good coach does! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What a good coach does!

Fair. I guess I would be the same if I had been alive for all of those years.
Don't get me wrong. There was a time that we were good and fun to watch even thought we didn't win it all. We went to the super bowl in 82 and 84(Marino) and after that we made it to the championship game twice more if I'm right but after JJ left team we've never been close at all and that is a long time to wait

Ozzy rules!!

Don't get me wrong. There was a time that we were good and fun to watch even thought we didn't win it all. We went to the super bowl in 82 and 84(Marino) and after that we made it to the championship game twice more if I'm right but after JJ left team we've never been close at all and that is a long time to wait

Ozzy rules!!
No i understand. Ive only been invested in sports for about 18 years (im 23) so in that time the teams I pull for have never won a championship combined out of all of them. So I guess I can say Ive waited for 18x4=72 combined years to see one.

Looks like I just make bad team choices haha

You have to give Gase credit for winning percentage and dedication. Until point differential and the most important statistical categories catch up with the winning percentage, it's difficult to take the Dolphins seriously. No team defies foundational logic for an extended period. Not in football or any sport.

The upcoming Raiders game is good opportunity to turn things in the right direction. Both teams figured to be down this season because they were the two statistical and point differential frauds of 2016. Nothing suggested the Raiders were worthy of the praise they received entering 2017. I mentioned that here and elsewhere. Even prior to Carr getting hurt late last season the Raiders had a negative YPPA Differential. So facing a less than stellar team that is still overstated, and you are a 3 point underdog in your own home stadium, a decent percentage of the time that home team should be enraged and put forth a game long intense effort resulting in a lopsided win. That type of thing is absent from Gase's resume other than the Steelers game last year. Got to have more of it.

I agree with your post but you need to take it one step further. If your play calling is not working maybe its time to download like Kelly did at Notre Dame. If the screen pass never works and results in minus yardage maybe its time to stop trying it. If a rollout pass works why stop doing it after the first play of the game. A good coach makes adjustments that work. Gase has a long way to go.

While I disagree with the Ajayi decision, I still support Gase's mentality. Personally, I think the failure to prepare lies on the shoulders of the personnel department and coaching staff even more than Ajayi.

It was obvious to everyone that our weakness lied in the OL. Our decision to bring back Bushrod as a started was more than an error in judgement, it was also a failure to properly prepare. The spending of all the cap money before spending only a tiny bit on Larsen, was a failure to prepare.

When our OL doesn't perform, no body should be surprised, Nd in all honesty, the only people surprised are the personnel department. The coaching staff would be surprised if they did not incorrectly believe that our offensive line is doing fine. Rather, they lay the blame on the RB who was an outside runner who followed his coaches instruction to go north spurn even when the hole is not there.

Gase is trying to sacrifice one to get a work ethic from the many. And I hope it works. But in this player friendly era of the NFL, it is unwise to let a productive power back go for essentially nothing.

The person who will now be judged by our offensive performance will not be Cutler, Ajayi, Tunsil, Pouncey or Landry. From now on it will be Gase. He brought this on himself. Let's hope it works.

All good points. Sadly, in your defense of Gase, you stayed away from his issues. Chronic slow starts, dumbing down offense/defense in back to back years and the belief you could roll this season with trash interior offensive line play.

That is on Gase, and he and you people need to own it. Like I previously said...people here will defend it or live with it.

This is a reasonable response and I think it deserves a reasonable reply.
For a team to win there must be teamwork. Players can only offer their capabilities. Coaches can only offer plans, coordination and support. The two must mesh for consistently good results. If Gase changed his play calling to match the fans expectations, he is probably ignoring his players capabilities. Please keep in mind that fans only see a finished product on game day when they determine a players capability.
The real reason a play works is based on the performance of eleven players, not just the ones who touch the ball. As an example, a receiver gets wide open and makes a great catch and scores. The receiver has excellent skills, the play called took advantage of the defenses physical position and their players physical capabilities to enhance the receivers possibility of success due to the coaches having developed such a play, the offense was able to give the quarterback time to make the play due to their skillset, execution and the play design by the coaches, the quarterback had the option to change the play at the line if he saw an opportunity or a problem, due to his coaches preparing him, their play planning and the ability expected of an NFL quarterback to execute those plays. Then there is always fortune, sometimes good, sometimes bad and sometimes just stupidity (playing in a hurricane).
This makes 3-D chess look like child's play, doesn't it?
Many of our forum members are pretty knowledgeable about football. The coaches are more knowledgeable and are far more aware of each players strength and weaknesses. Any argument otherwise is the worst kind of self-aggrandizement.
I hear fans screaming we are too predictable, but every team is just as predictable in their own way. We have people on our coaching staff that have looked at an opponents last three games and determined what plays were made and when they were made.
What separates teams is primarily their ability to execute a given play which requires player capable (not necessarily the best player; they needs to be competent at the NFL level) and the availability to select effective play calls against their defense and offense, which falls to the coaches. As an example I will reference Jim Brown, a running back. His teams play was predictable. He was usually going to get the ball and run it. The other team knew it. Jim's team executed the running plays successfully and so did he.
Now, back to our current situation. The members on this forum have made it clear beyond question that they feel we have a crappy team based on all kinds of player issues, such as poor drafting, poor ownership, poor coaching, poor trading (getting rid of our best players. I am surprised we have any because we have drafted so poorly and traded so badly for so long) and anything else they choose to find fault with. Considering last years winning record, which some members seem a little negative about and this years winning record in spite of everything that has come our way, I find it hard to fault our coaching staff based on their results. We have won and have a winning record this year in spite of some horrendous games. We have continued to weed out problem players and I expect we will benefit from that.
Wow - no wonder I like Miami Dolphins Head Coach Adam Gase.

And thats true as well. But hes a first time head coach and you have to take the bad decisions with that. A great coach will learn from those mistakes, so we will see how he responds to those bad decisions.
yes, but a lot of us on here have little to no experience in coaching, some have a lot, and even we can see these issues. like right away. why does it take these "professionals" so damn long to catch on?

I still support Gase, but he cannot say he traded Ajayi because he didn't know the plays, and at the same time say he's not trading Landry when he doesn't know the plays too.

Obviously, you’re not firing a coach who is 14-9 over his first 25 games as a head coach. Particularly when he took over a team that had been bad-to-mediocre over the preceding years.

And as difficult as it is to accept for us as fans, the Dolphins are playing without their starting QB. That is going to have a negative impact on any team (even the Patriots). It was silly to assume that Cutler was going to step in and the team wasn’t going to miss a beat.

I’m disgusted by the Ajayi trade, mainly because we’ve unnecessarily opened another hole on a team with plenty of them. Now we’re going to be looking for a new starting RB in 2018, because I don’t believe Drake, Williams, or Perry will be the full-time lead back next year.

The other concern is what seems to be some level of disarray with the team - the Foerster issue, the apparent issue with players not knowing or following the playbook, offensive linemen complaining about new schemes, etc. This worries me more than the results (a 4-3 record).

Overall, it’s preposterous to want Gase fired at this point. It isn’t unreasonable to want to see some improvement.

This is a reasonable response and I think it deserves a reasonable reply.
For a team to win there must be teamwork. Players can only offer their capabilities. Coaches can only offer plans, coordination and support. The two must mesh for consistently good results. If Gase changed his play calling to match the fans expectations, he is probably ignoring his players capabilities. Please keep in mind that fans only see a finished product on game day when they determine a players capability.
The real reason a play works is based on the performance of eleven players, not just the ones who touch the ball. As an example, a receiver gets wide open and makes a great catch and scores. The receiver has excellent skills, the play called took advantage of the defenses physical position and their players physical capabilities to enhance the receivers possibility of success due to the coaches having developed such a play, the offense was able to give the quarterback time to make the play due to their skillset, execution and the play design by the coaches, the quarterback had the option to change the play at the line if he saw an opportunity or a problem, due to his coaches preparing him, their play planning and the ability expected of an NFL quarterback to execute those plays. Then there is always fortune, sometimes good, sometimes bad and sometimes just stupidity (playing in a hurricane).
This makes 3-D chess look like child's play, doesn't it?
Many of our forum members are pretty knowledgeable about football. The coaches are more knowledgeable and are far more aware of each players strength and weaknesses. Any argument otherwise is the worst kind of self-aggrandizement.
I hear fans screaming we are too predictable, but every team is just as predictable in their own way. We have people on our coaching staff that have looked at an opponents last three games and determined what plays were made and when they were made.
What separates teams is primarily their ability to execute a given play which requires player capable (not necessarily the best player; they needs to be competent at the NFL level) and the availability to select effective play calls against their defense and offense, which falls to the coaches. As an example I will reference Jim Brown, a running back. His teams play was predictable. He was usually going to get the ball and run it. The other team knew it. Jim's team executed the running plays successfully and so did he.
Now, back to our current situation. The members on this forum have made it clear beyond question that they feel we have a crappy team based on all kinds of player issues, such as poor drafting, poor ownership, poor coaching, poor trading (getting rid of our best players. I am surprised we have any because we have drafted so poorly and traded so badly for so long) and anything else they choose to find fault with. Considering last years winning record, which some members seem a little negative about and this years winning record in spite of everything that has come our way, I find it hard to fault our coaching staff based on their results. We have won and have a winning record this year in spite of some horrendous games. We have continued to weed out problem players and I expect we will benefit from that.
Wow - no wonder I like Miami Dolphins Head Coach Adam Gase.

I'm sure you took time for that response, so I won't be rude.

I've been watching Football since the early 80s. I understand what good teams and good coaches are. Your explaining to me, or trying to enlighten me, is abit condescending. We are just two people with different opinions on a crappy product. That no coach since JJ has been able to address sufficiently.

Since 1983, I've seen my favorite baseball team (STL) win multiple WC. I have seen my favorite college basketball team win 2, despite them choking away chances for 20 years. And my beloved Miami Dolphins since at least 2000 sputter along. So excuse me if I don't take much heed in your explaining to me, my enlightenment on football is based on years of understanding what is and isn't acceptable. Last Thursday night, after last seasons early trash, was a reminder to everyone this team is a fraud.

Gase is functioning like any new head coach should, by simply ridding the team of players who don’t buy in, or who otherwise undermine the team’s performance.

However, that’s what just about any new head coach is given license to do. What makes some head coaches and not others very successful on a longer-term basis, however, is that they eventually get players to buy in, and those players become team leaders who create a winning team culture. It is yet to be seen whether Gase can accomplish that.

As Awsi Dooger said above, so far during Gase’s tenure, the team’s record has belied its performance, and there is too small a sample size to attribute that to Gase alone with any comfort.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom