What About Kevin Kolb?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What About Kevin Kolb??

DolfanISS

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
QB out of Houston. Haven't heard anything about him but picked up the Sporting News Draft edition and they have him rated higher than Quinn (#2 QB in the draft). The scouting report on him looks very positive, almost as if he has a friend at the Sporting News or something. I've never seen him play so I really can't comment on him. Has anyone seen him play?? Is he a QB we should have interest in and when would we be able to get him??

I do realize that this draft preview looks pretty old and I'm not sure how repuatable it is. They have an NFL comparison for all of the top guys and they have Jamarcus Russells NFL comparison as Daunte Culpepper and Brady Quinn's comparison as Joey Harrington. Not exactly flattering. They have Kolb's comparison as Steve McNair. Just curious as I haven't heard a lot about this guy, maybe you draft guru's have.

I don't think anybody really believes him to be a better QB than Quinn at the moment. The biggest knocks on him are that he played in a very quarterback friendly system in college and displayed poor decision making abilities. He has decent arm strength and displayed outstanding accuracy at his pro day on friday.

He has the tools but decision making is key at the pro level and I don't know how much coaching can improve him in that area.

He has all the physical tools as he does have a better arm then Quinn, put not near as pro ready. Played in a short passing style Off in college and did not start to come into his own intill late. Coming out of High school he was regarded as one of the top High school QB's, he chose to go to huston because they had just higher his high school coach. He has great upside better then Quinn if u have good QB' coaches and are willing to wait probably 2 years before he is ready to start. But with all players is type he has a gretter bust % then Quinn. I think Quinn is one of those QB's that has a little bit lower bust rate then must as he seems to not make to many bone head plays, but at times also does not make enough big time plays in big time situations. Just my thoughts though. Also one other thing is that Kolb has only played that system (8 years), so it is not known how he will do in a different style Off.

The offensive style that Houston plays has not, in the past, translated to sucess in the NFL. More of a run and shoot style offense. He does have the physical tools though, but I personally am not that high on him. Maybe 3rd or later would be ok with me. He definitely is not in the same class as Quinn though, and shouldnt even be considered as higher projection wise than Quinn.

Thanks guys, good information on Kolb. Essentially is sounds like he is a later round pick for a team that can develope a QB. Sounds like a decent prospect in the right situation.

Thanks guys, good information on Kolb. Essentially is sounds like he is a later round pick for a team that can develope a QB. Sounds like a decent prospect in the right situation.

Don't believe everything you read....Kolb is as good a QB as Quinn....you can't throw for almost 4000 yds and 30 tds...and be less of a QB. Everyone can tell you who played with Quinn at N.D....but can they tell you who played with Kolb?

Kolb's 9,155 yards passing rank second in school annals behind David Klinger's 9,430 (1988-91)…His 672 pass completions rank fourth in Houston history, topped only by Jason McKinley (786, 1977-2000), Klingler (726) and Chuck Clements (683, 1993-96)…His 1,133 pass attempts are fourth in school history behind McKinley (1,388), Klingler (1,262) and Clements (1,192)…Kolb's 55 touchdown passes rank behind David Klingler (91) and Andre Ware (75, 1987-89) on Houston's all-time record list…His 9,155 yards and 672 pass completions are the most of any active 2006 NCAA Division 1-A quarterback and his 1,133 pass attempts rank second to Notre Dame's Brady Quinn (1,135)…Only Quinn (58), Jordan Palmer of Texas-El Paso (62) and Chris Leak of Florida (65) have thrown more touchdown passes among the nation's returning Division 1-A quarterbacks than Kevin's 55…His 17 touchdowns rushing are the most ever by a Houston quarterback, breaking the previous mark of 16 by Lionel Wilson (1981-83)…His 9,752 yards in total offense broke the old school all-time record of 9,327 by David Klingler…Only McKinley (1,533) participated in more plays as a Cougar than Kolb (1,494)…His 72 touchdowns responsible for rank third on the school's career-record chart behind Klingler (93) and Ware (81).

His total offense yardage and plays participated in are the most of any action Division 1-A passer…Only Chris Leak of Florida (75) has more touchdowns responsible for than Kolb's 72 among Division 1-A active quarterbacks…Threw for over 300 yards in eleven games, ranking second in school annals to David Klingler's 13…His passing efficiency rating of 153.75 in 2003 rank second on the school's season-record list behind Rusty Clark's 185.7 in 1968… His 254 pass completions in 2005 are good for fifth on the Cougars' season-record list, topped by David Klingler (278 in 1991 and 374 in 1990), Jimmy Klingler (303 in 1992) and Ware (365 in 1989)…Kevin's 420 pass attempts in 2005 rank seventh on Houston's annual record list…His 3,258 yards in 2005 rank fifth and his 3,131 yards in 2003 rank sixth on Houston's season-record list behind David Klingler (3,388 in 1991 and 5,140 in 1990), Jimmy Klingler (3,818 in 1992) and Ware (4,699 in 1989)…His 25 touchdown passes in 2003 tied Ware (1988) for fifth on the school's season-record list, surpassed only by Ware (46 in 1989), David Klingler (54 in 1990and 29 in 1991) and Jimmy Klingler (32 in 1992).

His 3,458 yards in total offense in 2005 rank fifth and his 3,477 in 2003 rank fourth on Houston's season-record chart behind David Klingler (5,221 in 1990), Jimmy Klingler (3,768 in 1992) and Ware (4,661 in 1989)…His 524 plays participated in during 2005 was good for fifth on the school's annual record chart…His five 300-yard passing performances in 2005 tied Jimmy Klingler (1992) for fifth on the school's season-record list…Became only the fourth player in NCAA Division 1-A history to throw for over 400 yards and rush for over 100 yards in the same game (vs. Texas Christian in 2003-434 passing, 144 rushing), joining Archie Manning of Mississippi (104 rush, 436 pass vs. Alabama, 1969), Ned James of New Mexico (118 rush, 406 pass vs. Wyoming, 1986) and Zak Kostok of Northwestern (111 rush, 421 pass vs. Bowling Green, 2001)…His 578 yards in total offense vs. Texas Christian in 2003 rank fourth on the school's game-record list.

Consensus All-Conference USA first-team preseason selection. Kolb finished his career as the most prolific passer in UH history, rewriting almost every passing and total offense records including pass completions (964), pass attempts (1,565), passing yards (12,964), total plays (2,037), total offense (13,715) and touchdowns responsible for (106). He was a consensus selection as the 2006 Conference USA Offensive Player of the Year and a unanimous pick to the Conference USA First Team. One of only four Division I-A quarterbacks to start 50 games, Kolb finished third in total offense and fourth in passing in NCAA history. In 2006, Kolb passed for a career-high 3,809 yards and 30 touchdowns in leading the Cougars to the conference championship and a berth in their third bowl game in the last four seasons.

Well...can you tell me off hand what other players played with Kolb? I'll bet you know most of the N.D. players.
30 tds/4 ints...in ANY system is great.

yes, its good for any system in college. but that has next to nothing to do with translating into the NFL.

Kolb is a very good player. He may well be the 3rd QB taken.

His tape is good and his workout was spectacular. But not as good as his workout immediately after with the Patriots which apparently was special.

Miami have a very strong interest. And he's a lot more than a shotgun, system QB.

Kolb is a very good player. He may well be the 3rd QB taken.

His tape is good and his workout was spectacular. But not as good as his workout immediately after with the Patriots which apparently was special.

Miami have a very strong interest. And he's a lot more than a shotgun, system QB.

Thank you Boomer. Value is where you find it...and it isn't in the first round.

Kolb may GO in the 1st round Pete.

And he's not as good as Quinn.

Kolb may GO in the 1st round Pete.

And he's not as good as Quinn.

Thats what I fear...unless the Dolphins trade back up into the first round...we may miss a chance for him....and I'll let time and history prove who the better QB will be, between them. It's hard to say how Quinn will do on a crappy team without Weiss. I don't wish anyone bad luck...but it is the NFL....and bad team get to choose the QB's.

Conversely, poor Kolb is going to be lost once he has to learn another system in the NFL, right?

Back
Top Bottom