What are the most overrated and underrated dolphins in your opinion

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dlockz, May 12, 2013.

1. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I wont include any of the new players because they just arrived and lets see if they can live up to hype. Its much harder to choose an overrated dolphin to me.Underrated has more players come to mind.

Overrated- Ritchie Incognito - An ok football player not bad in any true sense but a pro bowler hell no
    Underrated- Jared Odrick - He doesnt get the fancy sack totals although not bad as a pass rusher and pretty good all around player. Best football may be yet to come inside as Dt.

2. ROADRUNNER

ROADRUNNER FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Over.....84 Egnew, Michael TE 6-5 255 Missouri .........He is realy Bad.
    Under...82 Hartline, Brian WR 6-2 199 Ohio State .....He is realy good.

3. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

it has started.............those long hot days until real football...........

4. HarryBagpipe

HarryBagpipe Archibald Meatpants Super Donator Donator

Overrated. Brian hartline

Underrated. Matthews I guess

5. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Egnew is going to make so much of you eat crow. I can't wait!!

6. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Over: Lamar Miller, so much hype so little production
    Under: Brain Hartline, a really good, productive number two reciever

7. mrhankey81701

mrhankey81701 A True Fan

Overrated Starks he is still very good but not quite the player he was two years ago.

Underrated Chris clemmons very solid for years as a starter yet people are always calling for him to be replaced

8. ANUFan

1) Re-read what you wrote about Lamar Miller
    2) Now ask yourself does my opinion make any sense to a logical person?

9. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

Over - Incognito...without a doubt
    Under - Starks...this guy was the only one getting consistent pressure other than Wake.

10. ANUFan

See..this makes sense! No-matter what language you speak.

11. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Oh yea, his four runs last season lock him in as the all pro franchise running back some around here think he will be.

12. ROADRUNNER

ROADRUNNER FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

[​IMG]

13. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

1) Overrated: Hartline. Guy hits 1k yards(about 900 less then Calvin Johnson) and people crown him. A stiff wind blowing onto the field causes him to trip and go down.

2) Underrated: Marcus Thigpen. Hes not a playmaker or anything like that. But hes "underrated" because hes been totally forgotten. He was solid for us on Special Teams last season. Im completely comfortable with him keeping his role next season.

Wanted to put Odrick as underrated, but others covered him. Felt Thigpen deserved a mention.

14. So Be

So Be A True Fan

VG thread. I don't have anyone overrated, as they are all gone, so far.

I do think that Misi, Clemons, and maybe Jerry have been underrated.

15. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

Thigpen was better at consistently returning than anyone we have had in the last 5 years at least...

(Note the word "consistent" for all the Ginn lovers out there...)

16. ANUFan

Yep, a player that barely touched the ball you listed in the "most" overrated dolphins category. Lookout Tyms you might be next!

17. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I have a gut feeling of the same. I have nothing whatsoever to base it on, and could not debate anyone saying the opposite. We shall see.

18. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

everyone thinks at least one player on a team is overrated , grab your sack. Its doesnt make u a bad fan

19. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Overrated: Hartline. Like the guy, but he might be the worst after catch receiver I've ever seen starting for an NFL team. And I've seen Davone Bess.

Underrated: Marcus Thigpen. He produces return touchdowns and apparently the team liked what they saw from him enough in the slot that they told Bess to stay on the bench late in the season. I think we will see more of him on offense this season.

20. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

Who the hell is overrating Egnew?

21. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

LOl Lamar Miller would be a much better choice because some have expectations lol but true nobody is got much to say on egnew thats good. Im still trying to figure out why we drafted him. Go back and watch games at Mizzo , one of the least effective Te's I have ever seen in college football regardless of a 90 catch season that he averaged like 8 yards a catch on. Would much rather have drafted Orson Charles

22. fsuhunter

fsuhunter Rookie

Overrated: Tannehil
    Underrated: Matt Moore

23. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

Overrated: up until a couple weeks ago I would have said Bess, now I guess Matt Moore(as much as a back-up can be overrated)
    Underrated: Clemons, doesn't make the highlight reel in a good or bad way

24. So Be

So Be A True Fan

My fan status does not concern me. Last year, I would have listed Long, Bush, and Smith in the second half. My choices are all gone, guess Philbin agreed. :)

25. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

Overrated: Dimitri Patterson (He made how much last year?? Can't believe he made 3 mil last year. Might start a game...if unfortunately one of our CBs goes down. Knock on wood!)
    Underrated: Reshad Jones (Quietly was our best player in the secondary last year. He should be getting what Dimitri Patterson made last year! He'll get paid and hopefully it's with us!)

26. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Overrated --- Incognito (solid, but not worthy of his pro bowl selection)
    Underrated --- Hartline (1,000 yards going against opponents top CB)

27. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Just another reason I hate the probowl. But to honest you cant blame the fans, the players and coaches are just as bad

28. z926538

z926538 Rookie

Underated - Joe Philbin. Took a team totally bereft of offensive talent, a rookie quarterback, and an old and slow defense that couldn't stop good teams when it was absolutely necessary to do so to a 7-9 record. This was much better than what was realistic to expect.

Overated a: Dan Carpenter - kickers are paid to make kicks when it counts. No excuses. End of discussion.
    Overated b: Jeff Ireland. Responsible for Philbin's team being totally bereft of offensive talent with an old and slow defense. Four straight losing seasons and the majority of the posters on this board still think he's the second coming of Joe Thomas.

29. Atila

Atila Atila - the freshmaker. Finheaven VIP

I think a lot of these posts are off (who udnerrates Reshad Jones? Who overrates Patterson? etc)

Overrated:

Rishard Matthews - 7th round selection with good size and athletic ability... played in 5 games and did decently well in our last 2 games with 5-6 total catches. However, based on those few flashes people are really expecting him to be a high flyer this year and I just don't see it. I hope he really improves but 2 games doesn't tell me enough to be as convinced as most of the message board here.

Underrated:

Jared Odrick - The guy is a very solid rotational DE and has improved steadily the last couple of seasons. With that said, I have seen multiple posters ask to have him traded for a 3rd-4th-5th round pick and I just don't understand why. Guy is not spectacular but he does set the edge on running plays fairly well and gets his fair share of sacks. He has the versatility to shift inside to DT if we need and if he continues to develop will end up being a crucial part of our DL rotation.

30. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

OVERRATED: Odrick and Misi. Odrick is a role player at best. A Parcells type player. He is not now, nor will he ever be a play maker. We wasted a 1st rd pick on Odrick and he is less of a playmaker to the DL than Bess was a playmaker to the WR core. His sacks are from broken plays where the QB runs around towards Odrick and the lineman thinks the play is over and quits blocking. A 1st round defensive line man should be someone who has the ability to CREATE game changing plays when the game is on the line. If that is what you see in Odrick you don't watch many dolphins games. Odrick is someone that is relatively easy to block, stays blocked, and no OC in NFL football has ever had to game plan for. To be perfectly honest I really don't see that big of a drop off between Odrick and Shelby.

Misi does one thing ok, that is set the edge. He can't cover, and his pass rushing skill are pathetic. I see him being a back up to anyone who steps up even slightly in TC. Like Odrick, Misi has ZERO play making skills. Only kind of turnovers he has ever seen are for breakfast at McDonalds.

UNDERRATED: I struggled to find a good fit here, but I am going to go with Vernon. He was a young player coming out of college with not a lot of starts, and he struggled with being consistent, but he flashed several times last year. You can't help but see his play making skills. He is very strong and explosive and can make plays when the game is on the line. He has a very high motor and is very versatile. I think he has a chance to have a very good 2nd year. I am excited to see what he can do this year.

31. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Could be interior line play for all I know but don't pay much attention to it so I'll stick to the skill positions.

Overrated: Richard Marshall, this guy was terrible even when healthy.

Underrated: Olivier Vernon, he was as hungry as they come. He didn't play a whole lot but he did make 3 or 4 memorable plays, him chasing down CJ Spiller from behind was one of my favorites.

32. Oronde

Oronde Well-Known Member

Why is just about everyone picking relatively obscure/limited role players as overrated? Are we too emotionally invested in our core players to even consider the possibility that they'll let us down?

Honestly, I feel like Tannehill is overrated. People are pretty much assuming that he's a franchise QB and most on this board are predicting a huge breakout next year. I don't think that's anywhere close to a certainty. He has a very long way to go.

Underrated? Randy Starks. He might be more underhyped than truly underrated, but he's a key member of the d-line that's largely carried this defense above where people projected them to be.

33. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

within a certain context I can see Tannehill as overrated.

34. Atila

I don't get how Vernon is "underrated" - I don't see anyone calling for him to be cut/calling him a bust/asking or hoping for his role to be reduced.

35. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Underrated /= disliked.

36. KTOWNFINFAN

I kinda disagree. When I think of underrated, I think of a player being worth more than the majority of public perception.

37. KTOWNFINFAN

I think Vernon has a pretty big role in this year's defense. Bigger than most people expect. He is a big part of our 3rd down equation. Most seem to think of him as a 2nd string role player with little influence on the defensive outcome for the upcoming year. I disagree and think that is underrating him.

38. Atila

I don't think many people have a strong perception of Vernon's role, contrary to your belief. I see a lot of people EXPECTING Rishard Matthews to play a prominent role in our offense this season and I consider that overrating the guy. I haven't heard a single person really say anything about Vernon one way or another, and most people are in fact carrying a quiet optimism for him to have an increased role next season (I know I am).

And to be clear, you are hoping his role increases (I am too), but we have nothing to imply that he will be this major cog in the system. There has been nothing yet for us to EXPECT him to be a key player, though I'm sure we are all hoping. You hoping he plays a big part on our defense doesn't make the guy underrated.

39. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

A lot of the overrated players Miami had were let go...Anthony Fasano, Jake Long, Sean Smith, Reggie Bush.

Currently I think Richard Marshall is overrated and Odrick is underrated.

40. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Couldn't agree more. I've been saying Miami needs to cut Marshall, but people keep insisting he's decent. Like you said he was trash when he was healthy and now that he's coming off those herniated discs in his back or whatever back injury he has, people think he will somehow be better than last year.