What can we really expect from FA? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What can we really expect from FA?

Carne Asada

there be no distractions for our team
Club Member
Reaction score
It all hinges on Landry. I wouldn't pay his franchise tag if no long term agreement is reached. I wouldn't pay him any more than 4yr $50M with an out after the second year. 8, 12, 14, 16. First two yrs plus $5M from the third guaranteed. If he won't take that he walks. If he takes it then you cut Timmons plus Thomas, keep everybody else under cotract. Let the fringe defensive players/ST aces walk. Williams too. We'd have like $8-9 to spend under the new cap with rookies signed.

If he doesn't you couldn't even spend what you save cause you couldn't sign UFAs if you want your compensatory 3rd. We could make one or two big UFA signings, still lose more FAs than we sign and get compensation but we would mostly have to trade or sign players who were cut.

So either way we can only afford one big signing or so. Our needs include FS, LB, DE, TE, part time RB and maybe OL. I don't think we'll either cut or extend James. He might get traded, though.

Looking at the FA market I see the most value at S. We might be signing Vaccaro/Reid.

Say you can only get one signing at $8-9M yr. Who would that be?

I think Miami has made a commitment to going with Jones and McDonald at safety. It wouldn't make sense to give Jones and McDonald decent contracts and then try to sit one of them on the bench while spending more free agent money or a high draft pick on another safety.

Nothing to extreme.

Maybe a CJ Anderson and a TE.

I was thinking similar, Carlos Hyde and a tight end

I feel Miami has to be aggressive, but not expensive in FA. They can acquire players but not make splashes. There is a huge void in talent and they can't solely depend on the draft and the current (lack) of talent pool they have.

Sssshhhhhhhh, don't say anything, but this could be another year where they target only bottom tier free agents and veterans who have been cut in order to get comp picks for Landry and William Hayes in 2019. I guess they could also make a couple trades as they don't figure into the comp formula either.

Take the comp picks and build through the draft, or are ya'll certain we are real close to a Super Bowl??

The Dolphins could roll the dice and go real high roller and tag Landry and keep Ju'Wuan James on his tender into the league year and then turn around and trade both of them for picks.

There are some desperate teams out there with just ridiculous amounts of cap room that I thought was supposed to be illegal by now. What happened to the minimum that was mentioned a few years ago??

The Colts might want Landry and Landry might like the idea enough to have his agent negotiate a long term deal. I would not expect a high pick though. With the money thing the Dolphins should be happy with getting an early third this year instead of a comp pick next year, and then they don't have to worry about the comp formula either.

Ju'Wuan James would have a huge trade market and value. Yes, he has durability issues but that is why teams offer incentive laden deals.
James was PFF's 2nd ranked right tackle in the league last year because of his stellar pass blocking.

The list of teams in the market for a good starting RT is too long to list. Obviously, a team trading for James would have him agree to a long term deal around 5-6 mil a year, maybe more if the cap really does go up to 178 mil.

James is a very good player and is just 25. We might even garner an early second for him.

Or, we may be unable to find a good deal and end up paying both of them huge money and be in deep cap hell.

1. Re-sign Landry
2. Get a TE - I’d take Ebron / won’t break the bank
3. Get a RB like CJ or Hyde
4. Draft LBs, Guards and a QB (highest picks on the LBs and Guards)
5. Get a new punter

I’d be really surprised if Landry is back. Watch him go to a team like the 49ers, Raiders, Colts or Packers and absolutely light it up.

Regardless of what happens with Landry we must try to improve the TE, Guard and LB areas:

1. LBs: Roll with Anthony, McMillan, and rookie/Kiko. Chase Allen, rookie/Kiko, Hewitt, Hull are backups. Release Timmons (go back to Pittsburgh)
  2. Guards: Must get mid-tier free Agent, can not expect a rookie to come in to solidify the group. Draft in 2nd round a mauler guard/center.
  3. TEs: Release Thomas unless he comes back at vet minimum. Consider, Ebron, Burton or Clay if available. If the draft value is there for an elite guy in the draft lets get him, otherwise we role with our patchwork.
  4. Round 1: DE or LB with our first. Prefer to trade down and pickup another early pick.
  5. Round 2: Guard. Great value here and hopefully a starter.
  6. Round 3: DE or LB whichever we did not get in the 1st.
  7. Round 4: QB-takeover the backup role and release Moore. Develop to challenge Tannehill in 2-3 years. Keep selecting a QB the next 2-4 years. Who knows a diamond in the rough?
  8. Round 5: LB/TE/Guard/Center whichever is best value.
  9. Round 6 & 7: These are the guys we take a risk with, such as high talent but previously injured or low metrics but high IQ and motor.
Extras: I would prefer to bring back Williams (staff favorite), bring in CJ or Hyde in free agency, and William Hayes (we need him for the run defense).

I am cautiously excite about our back five with the return of Lippett and continued growth of Tankersly and Howard. If 1-2 of these guys can become the shut down corners than our safeties McDonald and Jones can be the thumpers we need in the short passing/running game. Throw in there further improvement of McCain and Aikens? Hopefully Branch elevates his game being more healthy.

I feel Miami has to be aggressive, but not expensive in FA. They can acquire players but not make splashes. There is a huge void in talent and they can't solely depend on the draft and the current (lack) of talent pool they have.
well Said....I have been an advocate for building through the draft for years, but when we do turn to FA as we inevitably do every year, lets get them young and hungry, the days of breaking the bank should be over.

Regardless of what happens with Landry we must try to improve the TE, Guard and LB areas:

1. LBs: Roll with Anthony, McMillan, and rookie/Kiko. Chase Allen, rookie/Kiko, Hewitt, Hull are backups. Release Timmons (go back to Pittsburgh)
  2. Guards: Must get mid-tier free Agent, can not expect a rookie to come in to solidify the group. Draft in 2nd round a mauler guard/center.
  3. TEs: Release Thomas unless he comes back at vet minimum. Consider, Ebron, Burton or Clay if available. If the draft value is there for an elite guy in the draft lets get him, otherwise we role with our patchwork.
  4. Round 1: DE or LB with our first. Prefer to trade down and pickup another early pick.
  5. Round 2: Guard. Great value here and hopefully a starter.
  6. Round 3: DE or LB whichever we did not get in the 1st.
  7. Round 4: QB-takeover the backup role and release Moore. Develop to challenge Tannehill in 2-3 years. Keep selecting a QB the next 2-4 years. Who knows a diamond in the rough?
  8. Round 5: LB/TE/Guard/Center whichever is best value.
  9. Round 6 & 7: These are the guys we take a risk with, such as high talent but previously injured or low metrics but high IQ and motor.
Extras: I would prefer to bring back Williams (staff favorite), bring in CJ or Hyde in free agency, and William Hayes (we need him for the run defense).

I am cautiously excite about our back five with the return of Lippett and continued growth of Tankersly and Howard. If 1-2 of these guys can become the shut down corners than our safeties McDonald and Jones can be the thumpers we need in the short passing/running game. Throw in there further improvement of McCain and Aikens? Hopefully Branch elevates his game being more healthy.
Agree with most of it. Not so high on bringing Hayes back tho. He did a good job but couldn't finish the season and I'm sick of counting on injured players, specially when they're on the wrong side of 30

Ozzy rules!!

It all hinges on Landry. I wouldn't pay his franchise tag if no long term agreement is reached. I wouldn't pay him any more than 4yr $50M with an out after the second year. 8, 12, 14, 16. First two yrs plus $5M from the third guaranteed. If he won't take that he walks. If he takes it then you cut Timmons plus Thomas, keep everybody else under cotract. Let the fringe defensive players/ST aces walk. Williams too. We'd have like $8-9 to spend under the new cap with rookies signed.

If he doesn't you couldn't even spend what you save cause you couldn't sign UFAs if you want your compensatory 3rd. We could make one or two big UFA signings, still lose more FAs than we sign and get compensation but we would mostly have to trade or sign players who were cut.

So either way we can only afford one big signing or so. Our needs include FS, LB, DE, TE, part time RB and maybe OL. I don't think we'll either cut or extend James. He might get traded, though.

Looking at the FA market I see the most value at S. We might be signing Vaccaro/Reid.

Say you can only get one signing at $8-9M yr. Who would that be?

In general, 1-2 starters and a few backups. Starters most likely OG, TE, and/or RB

Back
Top Bottom