What can we really expect from FA?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Stills&Landry, Jan 12, 2018 at 11:43 PM.

1. Stills&Landry

Stills&Landry Well-Known Member

It all hinges on Landry. I wouldn't pay his franchise tag if no long term agreement is reached. I wouldn't pay him any more than 4yr $50M with an out after the second year. 8, 12, 14, 16. First two yrs plus $5M from the third guaranteed. If he won't take that he walks. If he takes it then you cut Timmons plus Thomas, keep everybody else under cotract. Let the fringe defensive players/ST aces walk. Williams too. We'd have like $8-9 to spend under the new cap with rookies signed.

If he doesn't you couldn't even spend what you save cause you couldn't sign UFAs if you want your compensatory 3rd. We could make one or two big UFA signings, still lose more FAs than we sign and get compensation but we would mostly have to trade or sign players who were cut.

So either way we can only afford one big signing or so. Our needs include FS, LB, DE, TE, part time RB and maybe OL. I don't think we'll either cut or extend James. He might get traded, though.

Looking at the FA market I see the most value at S. We might be signing Vaccaro/Reid.

Say you can only get one signing at $8-9M yr. Who would that be?

Ray R likes this.
  2. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Nothing to extreme.

Maybe a CJ Anderson and a TE.

Ray R likes this.
  3. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I think Miami has made a commitment to going with Jones and McDonald at safety. It wouldn't make sense to give Jones and McDonald decent contracts and then try to sit one of them on the bench while spending more free agent money or a high draft pick on another safety.

I was thinking similar, Carlos Hyde and a tight end

levv151, Anvil35, Ray R and 2 others like this.
  4. Manning

Manning Scout Team

I'd like a TE like Ebrom or Eifort. Maybe another OL. Would like another big defensive draft and imo signing Keeping Landry is a must

Michael Scott and royalshank like this.
  5. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

I feel Miami has to be aggressive, but not expensive in FA. They can acquire players but not make splashes. There is a huge void in talent and they can't solely depend on the draft and the current (lack) of talent pool they have.

Ray R likes this.
  6. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

look at Trey Burton today for TE. He is not as injury-prone

7. Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come Well-Known Member

Sssshhhhhhhh, don't say anything, but this could be another year where they target only bottom tier free agents and veterans who have been cut in order to get comp picks for Landry and William Hayes in 2019. I guess they could also make a couple trades as they don't figure into the comp formula either.

Take the comp picks and build through the draft, or are ya'll certain we are real close to a Super Bowl??

Ray R likes this.
  8. Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come Well-Known Member

The Dolphins could roll the dice and go real high roller and tag Landry and keep Ju'Wuan James on his tender into the league year and then turn around and trade both of them for picks.

There are some desperate teams out there with just ridiculous amounts of cap room that I thought was supposed to be illegal by now. What happened to the minimum that was mentioned a few years ago??

The Colts might want Landry and Landry might like the idea enough to have his agent negotiate a long term deal. I would not expect a high pick though. With the money thing the Dolphins should be happy with getting an early third this year instead of a comp pick next year, and then they don't have to worry about the comp formula either.

Ju'Wuan James would have a huge trade market and value. Yes, he has durability issues but that is why teams offer incentive laden deals.
    James was PFF's 2nd ranked right tackle in the league last year because of his stellar pass blocking.

The list of teams in the market for a good starting RT is too long to list. Obviously, a team trading for James would have him agree to a long term deal around 5-6 mil a year, maybe more if the cap really does go up to 178 mil.

James is a very good player and is just 25. We might even garner an early second for him.

Or, we may be unable to find a good deal and end up paying both of them huge money and be in deep cap hell.

Ray R, Stills&Landry and Tailgun like this.
  9. royalshank

royalshank Practice Squad All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

1. Re-sign Landry
    2. Get a TE - I’d take Ebron / won’t break the bank
    3. Get a RB like CJ or Hyde
    4. Draft LBs, Guards and a QB (highest picks on the LBs and Guards)
    5. Get a new punter

10. Dolphins81

Dolphins81 Well-Known Member

I’d be really surprised if Landry is back. Watch him go to a team like the 49ers, Raiders, Colts or Packers and absolutely light it up.

Ray R likes this.
  11. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

Regardless of what happens with Landry we must try to improve the TE, Guard and LB areas:

1. LBs: Roll with Anthony, McMillan, and rookie/Kiko. Chase Allen, rookie/Kiko, Hewitt, Hull are backups. Release Timmons (go back to Pittsburgh)
    2. Guards: Must get mid-tier free Agent, can not expect a rookie to come in to solidify the group. Draft in 2nd round a mauler guard/center.
    3. TEs: Release Thomas unless he comes back at vet minimum. Consider, Ebron, Burton or Clay if available. If the draft value is there for an elite guy in the draft lets get him, otherwise we role with our patchwork.
    4. Round 1: DE or LB with our first. Prefer to trade down and pickup another early pick.
    5. Round 2: Guard. Great value here and hopefully a starter.
    6. Round 3: DE or LB whichever we did not get in the 1st.
    7. Round 4: QB-takeover the backup role and release Moore. Develop to challenge Tannehill in 2-3 years. Keep selecting a QB the next 2-4 years. Who knows a diamond in the rough?
    8. Round 5: LB/TE/Guard/Center whichever is best value.
    9. Round 6 & 7: These are the guys we take a risk with, such as high talent but previously injured or low metrics but high IQ and motor.
    Extras: I would prefer to bring back Williams (staff favorite), bring in CJ or Hyde in free agency, and William Hayes (we need him for the run defense).

I am cautiously excite about our back five with the return of Lippett and continued growth of Tankersly and Howard. If 1-2 of these guys can become the shut down corners than our safeties McDonald and Jones can be the thumpers we need in the short passing/running game. Throw in there further improvement of McCain and Aikens? Hopefully Branch elevates his game being more healthy.

Jay131866 likes this.
  12. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

well Said....I have been an advocate for building through the draft for years, but when we do turn to FA as we inevitably do every year, lets get them young and hungry, the days of breaking the bank should be over.

Ray R likes this.
  13. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Only player id even consider breaking the bank on is Demarcus Lawrence from Dallas.

Michael Scott and Stills&Landry like this.
  14. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Agree with most of it. Not so high on bringing Hayes back tho. He did a good job but couldn't finish the season and I'm sick of counting on injured players, specially when they're on the wrong side of 30

Ozzy rules!!

Ray R likes this.
  15. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

In general, 1-2 starters and a few backups. Starters most likely OG, TE, and/or RB

Ray R likes this.
  16. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator Finheaven VIP

I understand the injuries bro, but we need to get younger with the right mix of veteran leadership on the field.

17. Manning

Manning Scout Team

No problem with him but not as our #1 TE

18. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I understand but Pouncey, James, Parker and then Hayes too......that's counting on too many and keep on mind that Tannehill, Lippett and RM are all coming back from surgery

Ozzy rules!!

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  19. Stills&Landry

There are teams like the Browns, Bears, Jets, et al, that have a hard time getting anyone to sign for them. I could easily see the Browns taking both from our hands with the number of picks and the amount of money they have. Imagine getting a second for a franchised Landry and a third for James. With no cap hit for either. We'd be in great shape.

Ray R likes this.
  20. Stills&Landry

CJ might be cut/traded so it wouldn't count as a UFA.

Ray R likes this.
  21. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

Along with teammate LB Nigel Bradham.

Those would be two excellent signings that immediate elevate your talent, don't break the bank and give you a lot of draft flexibility.

I am curious to see what happens if Jay Ajayi has a big game today as he's expected to have 20+ touches, win or lose, he's going to want to get paid.

I suspect Bradham will get a 6-7M a year deal, Burton 4.5-5.5.

22. Stills&Landry

I don't think we'd be gaining much from Derby to Burton. Give me a 6'5, 6'6 monster in the draft. Bradham I would take.

Bradham and Reid would be awesome. Our D would almost be set.

Ajayi has a year more left in his rookie contract doesn't he? I'd love it if he held out.

Ray R likes this.
  23. FSU Truth

FSU Truth The North Remembers Finheaven VIP

I think it is going to be a quiet FA. The CJ Anderson situation is one to follow. Gase really liked him and we went after him hard before.

Ebron seems like a good move...try to bring him in for a one year prove it. Still a freak athlete and young.

Oline offers some interesting options Pugh, Cooper, and Su'a-Filo are guys we may look at.

24. Stills&Landry

I don't get the Sua Filo love. He's stunk up the joint BIG time with HOU and he keeps being brought up.

His pass blocking is Billy Turner-like.

finitis23 likes this.
  25. FSU Truth

FSU Truth The North Remembers Finheaven VIP

My suggestions are hopeful and what Miami has done in the past...XSF will come cheap and Miami likes cheap o-lineman in FA.

26. warren4prez

warren4prez Well-Known Member

I would like to see us bring in a safety and we should move T.J. McDonal around as a hybrid LB.

joenhre likes this.
  27. Stills&Landry

I would just roll with Larsen and Davis, then.

I agree.

Ray R likes this.
  28. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Will a Glenn Dorsey value either?

29. Stills&Landry

He should. He has crap at those positions, FA will be scarce and the few good players that may shake free wouldn't sign with the Browns.

30. Stills&Landry

The first thing he did arriving in KC was trading for Smith. Smith is available. Kizer would make a decent developmental back up. The fastest way to make that franchise not winless would be that.

Trade one of their seconds for Smith, draft Darnold, keep Kizer, trade down from #4, cut Gordon (he's always suspended either way), draft a #1 WR, trade for Landry and James, they already have the rest of the oline, RB and TE taken care of. Now that would be an offense.

Ray R and DolfanDuBbZ~ like this.
  31. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

We seem to have a thing for Eagles cast aways, and Trey Burton fits a need and has the potential to be a solid starter at tight end. He's stuck behind one of the best in football. I could see the Dolphins going after him to eliminate another draft need. Wouldn't mind taking a chance on Eifert at the right price as he is a GREAT player the rare times he's healthy.

Gotta sign an offensive lineman or two. Would like to keep Landry, Parkey, and Hayes. Otherwise, I'm good. Time to build through the draft.

Ray R likes this.
  32. DolfanDuBbZ~

The Alex Smith scenario is plausible. Dumping picks outside of the QB, I don't think so. Cleveland has already won in my opinion, just by adding Dorsey.

33. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator Finheaven VIP

I think adding Wolf makes it even better.

34. Digital

Digital Starter Finheaven VIP

I do love these type threads. But, at this point, its just too early to say. Once we see the draft start to solidify a bit more it will drive the scarcity of the FA's more into focus at certain positions, and we'll have a lot better idea of what is realistic. Right now, many of the top FA's are illusions, and they'll never really hit the market. Too hard to guess on all of that to even make a worthwhile prediction yet.

Ikema and Ray R like this.
  35. Stills&Landry

That is true but the best way to evaluate what the FO does is being familiar with the alternatives they have.

Unless we franchise and trade Landry, meaning, if we resign him or let him walk we will be forced to only spend that amount on one, maybe two FAs. Its not that hard to pick one from the ones 'available' at this point.

Ray R likes this.
  36. DolfanDuBbZ~

Aren't these types of decisions, that warrent enthusiasm or hope?

Fin Fan in Cali and Ray R like this.
  37. Stills&Landry

All the FO changes in Cle reek of 3-4 defense. Will they change?

38. DolfanDuBbZ~

All depends how they allocate their resources. And they got plenty of ammo to have a effect on this draft. I would watch BUF possibly moving up with their 1s.

39. vcip

vcip Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

I would target him

40. Buff

Buff From a galaxy far far away.... Finheaven VIP Donator

I think with the hire of the RB coach from Denver, Anderson is as close to a lock at being snapped up by Miami. Even for less money that other teams may offer.

His response to the sacking of the coach speaks volumes.