What did you think of Daniel Thomas?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SammySmif, Sep 19, 2011.

1. SammySmif

SammySmif Starter

I have gone on record against the Finheaven "Draft Gurus" who stated this was a bad pick. I think Thomas was a great pick and have maintained this for months. Finally yesterday he gave us 100 yards in his debut game and looked incredible, considering the woeful state of our Oline.

I look over at Ingram who is not doing anything over in NO and am feeling better and better about this pick.

The naysayers will point out the fumble, and I would agree, but my god what a great run that would have been. Notice many times he was running out of the shotgun with no lead blockers and going right off the butt of our rookie Pouncey, who I believe was also a nice selection over Ingram in round 1.

What I do not get is why Reggie Bush sits on the bench and watches this..can we not have them both on the field together? Is that utter insanity? We witnessed a total misuse of Reggie Bush for 2 straight games.

I don't expect Thomas to slow down..he and Marshall were our main bright spots on O yesterday, and frankly we could have won that game if our offense got a little more dynamic.

Thank you DT for proving the FH expert doubters wrong and providing a big time spark out there in the run game.

2. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i thought he showed exactly what i said...outstanding feet and short area burst and quick to the los...upright at the 2nd level and thats why he got stood up and popped by the safety on one play...and like i said on college tape the ball security n traffic wasn;t great and it showed itself yesterday...although that was more a guy putting a helmet on the ball than anything else but in traffic he needs to carry the rock high and tight

he was outstanding b/t the tackles...even got 100 yards behind this craptastic oline...

3. FinsNCanes

FinsNCanes 9-7

We'll see. I liked what I saw, but he needs better ball security. He's fast enough, and actually seems a little squirmy/able to get into small holes if you noticed yesterday. Come contact though he needs to drop lower..a CB stood him up yesterday. I like the fact he just cuts and goes though.

4. Calgaryfin

Calgaryfin Well-Known Member

I wasn't impressed in preseason but I thought he looked good, ran well between the tackles and showed good potential. Pleasantly surprised and one of the few bright spots in yet another dissapointing game.

5. SammySmif

SammySmif Starter

Thanks guys..solid posts by all..well except the obviously weird one..lol.

6. FinsNCanes

FinsNCanes 9-7

Strange, and I do remember a Celtkin..

7. phinman1

phinman1 Seriously now

Thomas looked great. Power and burst, also gotta say I liked what I saw from Pouncey. At last we have our center. Thomas ran behind him a lot and it is nice amid the gloom to say we have two very good looking rookies.

8. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro

I'd say that's spot on.

9. Swantoon

Swantoon A True Fan

Give some credit to the O line. They were pretty darn instrumental in Thomas going for 100. They made some nice holes for him and he took advantage.

10. BGtoKNfor6

BGtoKNfor6 Where is the reset button?

While one game doesn't mean squat, he showed promise. Just has the typical rookie propensity to not hold the football correctly. That is fixable. However, get ready to tote the rock and a ton this year DT. I wouldn't be surprised to see DT run the rock 300+ times this year and get worn down. That is what we do in Miami. Stupid ****...

11. Slim

Slim VIPeezy

That Chris Hanson guy finally caught up to Bumpus :lol:

12. hoops

hoops exited stage left

those holes are more scheme driven and d thomas driven than anything else...spread em out single back and daniel thomas with his vision and one cut and get north and south mindset and burst to the los and into the 2nd level...

this oline is horrid...but thomas in short yardage and goalline is dicey cause he runs with too high pad level...drop your pads and punish someone before they punish you...if he learsn to drop his pad level watch out...cause those jump cuts and feet i saw yesterday were the rarest of rare

13. MarshallFin1

MarshallFin1 A True Fan

ingram had a fumble yesterday in the exact same situation as thomas. Except thomas had alot more carries , where ingram had alot less. Its looking like a great great pick.

14. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

DT is not the problem

15. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

Now that was funny especially after such a painful loss

16. Yamilo

Yamilo Starter

Nothing to like about a losing team. Last week it was Henne shining, this week it was Thomas. Every week there is a new "savior" that rises from the ashes to save us, yet the team still loses. 100 yards for Daniel Thomas gooood for himmmmOH WAIT... he fumbled the ball on a key possession. OH WELL.

17. Tunaphish429

Tunaphish429 1st Ballot Hall of Famer Donator

Thomas looked good.

18. ChrisHanson

ChrisHanson Well-Known Member

He and Muck own www.thephins.com

19. Granchamp71

Granchamp71 Finally a believer in RT17

My buddy at work went to Kansas State and has a lot of insight about their football team. I remember texting back and forth with him the day we drafted him asking about Thomas. He told me way back in April that Thomas will run hard and make great plays, but fumble at the most inopportune times. Looks like he knew what he was talking about.

20. SammySmif

SammySmif Starter

I don't have faith in the coaches to help Thomas secure the ball - that is sad, but how I currently feel.

Also, am I the only surprised Bush did not see the field with Thomas and be motioned around as a WR...I thought that was why they signed the guy.

Hoos..agree..the footwork on display from Thomas was special. He has the skills to be a stud, but he needs proper coaching.

21. MarshallFin1

MarshallFin1 A True Fan

nope you are not the only one, we are head scratching along with you. At this point, im willing to let todd bowles take over as head coach, sparano has no more faith. No one believes in this guy anymore leading this team foward, the " i have no answers" thing said it all man, he is the problem. Theres too much talent on this team for us to doing this badly.

22. NJDOLPHAN76

NJDOLPHAN76 Rookie

Run Danny Run!

23. armyphin

armyphin A True Fan

Thought the kid looked good. Could be a playmaker.

I like the pieces the team has, now can they all show up and play well on the same day?

24. napsndreds

napsndreds A True Fan

BEAST...needs to hold onto the ball.

25. FINOMINAL

FINOMINAL Scout Team

The announcer even noted pretty early into the game that the Texans had given Miami the run, they were not afraid to dare them to run and were taking out the pass. That is a lot of the reason the rookie looked so good. If you have daylight in front, it’s not hard for a running back of any caliber to get some yards. Between tackles is an understatement yesterday, sometimes he wasn’t touched until in the back field. Reggie was taken out of the game as a receiver by the defense, so didn’t get many plays. He is washed up as a running back period. Miami took what the defense gave them. Thomas will not run like that unless defenses give it to him like that, don’t get too excited about that first game, sorry to be Debby Downer about it, the one bright spot in a badly coached and repeatedly out coached team.

26. miami234ever

miami234ever DenverCheesesteak

Thought he played a great game! Very excited to have him.

27. MarshallFin1

MarshallFin1 A True Fan

lol at this, THATS BS. Defense in the nfl dont give u ****, u have to earn every inch, period.

28. armyphin

armyphin A True Fan

Makes sense. Miami didn't have much of a running game vs NE and Thomas was an unknown.

So the question is now that we've seen Miami pass vs. New England and run vs. Houston, can they mix all of that into a playbook blender and actually come up with a well rounded offense? Maybe week three they put it all together.

29. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I think there's some truth to the theory that they gave us the run early on. But they tightened up on it through the game and Thomas was still productive.

Maybe he does have fumble issues, but that hit with the helmet from the safety right up and under the ball will cause a fumble 6 or 7 times out of 10, no matter who's carrying it. So, I'm going to hold judgement on his ball protection till later in the season. His change of direction is great. He doesn't check, doesn't lose forward momentum, just shifts balance to a different running line and trucks it up.

At the very least we can say that he did pretty much everything that was expected of him and more.

30. bigchub22

bigchub22 Starter

finheaven draft gurus- " he goes down to easily after contact" hahaha really?

31. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

I must say I was not impressed with DT in preseason, but he really was a different player out there when the lights came on. Which must drive a guy like Sparano crazy - Sparano wants to see it in practice first.

32. SammySmif

SammySmif Starter

Don't tell Brandon Marshall that they took the pass out.

33. hoops

hoops exited stage left

it was apparent during the preseason...he did the same thing then also...great feet quick short area burst all apparent...one cut and get north and south

34. DAFINZ

DAFINZ Rebel With A Cause Donator

One of the few bright spots even with the fumble. Looking forward to seeing more of him and the thomas and bush package.

35. BigNastyDB13

BigNastyDB13 A True Fan

I liked him coming out of college. Watched several of his games, even seen him destroy my team (OU) a few times. I'd like to see him lower his shoulder but he's a good back. A lot of people who didnt like him were basing their opinion on not knowing who he was coming out of college and on the handful of runs they seen in pre-season behind this **** line. Those same people ***** cause we didnt bring back Ronnie or Ricky, thats the ironic part. Thomas >>>>R&R. He'll suffer behind this line though.

36. tfh_rules

tfh_rules Rookie

I liked his productivity yesterday, and I'm excited to see more - but its 1 game. Let's see if he's still doing that in a few weeks or months.

I was impressed that he was hitting the hole much better/quicker than he did in preseason, and running north and south.

I wasn't crazy about his upright style. When he got hit, he generally got stopped cold or pushed back, rather than falling forward. And his fumble killed a promising drive where we coulda taken the lead.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

37. BigNastyDB13

BigNastyDB13 A True Fan

Funny how a little production all of sudden makes a guy a "different player" huh? Like he just learned how to run on Sunday.

38. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

DT looked good yesterday. He really does have great vision and quick feet. Alot of the people who didnt like the pick didnt like it because he didnt run a 4.3 and in his youtube highlight video theres not a whole lot of long td runs. DT will move the chains. Our O-line is pretty crappy and he was making some real nice runs yesterday.

The fumble was a combination of a rookie trying to do too much and a perfect helmet on the ball hit.

He does run upright which can be corrected. The kid ran hard and moved the ball well. I know it was one game but it was nice to see.

But as much as he runs upright at least he doesnt dance as soon as he gets handed the ball and stopped at the LOS. He hits the hole with a nice burst and gets to the 2nd level.