What do people think of Blake Bortles? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What do people think of Blake Bortles?

Dmarino110

Starter
Reaction score
Im not sure if he is coming out this year due to it being a crowded QB year, but if we could get him in the 2nd or 3rd (if he gets a 2nd or 3rd rating this year he wont come out) I think you give him a shot to give tannehill some competition...

No way I'm burning a draft pick on a QB in the first 3-4 rounds. People need to come to terms to the fact that we've found our QB, I know we don't know what one looks like anymore but we have one. So lets move on.

As for Bortles I am a very big fan. I think he can be a solid starter in the league, he's in that Big Ben, Luck sort of mold size wise and the way he works in the pocket. He doesn't throw the prettiest ball, but he goes through his progressions well and finds the open guy. He's an interesting guy, another team can draft him tho unless he falls into the 4th or 5th range which I can't see happening.

No thanks but I'll take his girlfriend for $1000 Alex.....
nenadabe-1.jpg

If we could get him in the third i'd take him, but if I were GM I'd take a qb every year. All we'd have to do was f up and get lucky one time and we could trade one of two franchise qbs and set this team up for a lot of future success.

Bortles is going to be one of the biggest risers in this draft, wouldn't be shocked if he is a first rounder. He has a lot of tools NFL scout will love, he is big,has decent speed for his size, has an ok arm, and is athletic enough to extend the play.

Bortles is going to be one of the biggest risers in this draft, wouldn't be shocked if he is a first rounder. He has a lot of tools NFL scout will love, he is big,has decent speed for his size, has an ok arm, and is athletic enough to extend the play.

Honestly I've been looking around at reports and have to agree. Could wind up being a top 20 pick and the more I watch the more I like (for another team anyway).

Saw Bortles in person and was very impressed. If he's around in the third round I'll be shocked.

He's going to be a high 1st round pick. I've had him second only to Teddy Bridgewater since around early October once I finally got a good look at him.

Brian Griese recently revealed during one of UCF's games that he's aware of several teams that actually have Bortles above Bridgewater as the #1 QB in the Draft. Bortles' people believe the chances are about 70/30 that he comes out. I believe he's got his degree already so there's no real reason for him to stay unless he feels UCF can actually compete for a BCS Championship which I doubt. They're going to a BCS game. For that program, that's probably as good as it gets for now.

I spoke to one person who is friends with the former baseball coach of Bortles and Jeff Driskel. Said that when it came to crunch moments in the game Bortles would always come through, while Driskel would always fall apart. I think that shows in his game as a quarterback too. He's a clutch player. You see him interviewed and he's also a man. There's no boy in him. He's a mature leader. He can take a beating on the field. He never feels physically overwhelmed even if he's up against the most fearsome defensive lineman in the college game (Clowney).

Aside from playing well in clutch moments, the second thing he does (and this is something that should become obvious to whoever watches him) is he's about as good with pressure in the pocket as you're going to get on a guy that isn't Cam Newton-esque. He's pretty much Andrew Luck, the spitting image of Andrew when it comes to his elusiveness and ability to work the pocket against pressure. To make matters better he's extremely accurate throwing while rolling to his right or especially his left against his body. It's fun to watch.

Very smart guy, field commander in charge of the offense. Knows when to check it down and has a feel for when to attack deep. Processes a lot of information on the field and is able to make use of a lot of the weapons at his disposal including his face fundamentals (eyes, head, shoulders, etc). He's a natural with misdirection stuff.

Accuracy can be an issue at times (ball placement) because he has a tendency to throw off his back foot unnecessarily. He needs to clean up his lower body mechanics and make them consistent. Be Tom Brady. Be Drew Brees. Be Peyton Manning. Also he can kind of live and die by the sword sometimes when it comes to his tendency to use his eyes to draw defenders away from his target. He'll click back to his target and throw the ball before seeing if the way is clear.

He's not really a concern for Miami fans. He's going to go high and Miami is going to continue with Ryan Tannehill.

Jimmy Garoppolo will be the next guy to come out of "nowhere" and go hot in the media circuits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tonight on ESPN2 we are going to get a chance to look at Jimmy Garoppolo on national television as he's playing in the FCS quarterfinals against Towson. As I said I believe this guy will start to get a little hot in the media circuits in the coming months.

This will be a good chance for most of the country to get their first look at Garoppolo and I hope he does not disappoint. Thus far in the playoffs he's been 43 of 72 for 717 yards, 9 TDs and 1 INT...with 6 runs for 16 yards and 2 sacks for -13 yards. No fumbles.

The keys to watch for are:

- Garoppolo's feet and total package of footwork which I think compares with a welterweight boxing champ
- Garoppolo's quick arm release which combined with his feet makes him a very quick passer
- Garoppolo's accuracy which tends to be very good
- Garropolo's decision making which also tends to be very good
- Garropolo's pocket presence under duress which is something I'm still not totally sure about yet
- Garoppolo's arm strength which I don't think is really great and compares to a Matt Moore
- Head coach Dino Babers' offense which is just DAMN fun to watch and has Art Briles' fingerprints all over it

I know it's easy to dismiss FCS teams but these are teams that went over to the FBS level this year and embarrassed some of those FBS teams. Eastern Illinois doused San Diego State 40-19, and then got into a 43-39 shootout with Northern Illinois (Jordan Lynch's team). Towson beat Connecticut 33-18.

He's going to be a high 1st round pick. I've had him second only to Teddy Bridgewater since around early October once I finally got a good look at him.

Brian Griese recently revealed during one of UCF's games that he's aware of several teams that actually have Bortles above Bridgewater as the #1 QB in the Draft. Bortles' people believe the chances are about 70/30 that he comes out. I believe he's got his degree already so there's no real reason for him to stay unless he feels UCF can actually compete for a BCS Championship which I doubt. They're going to a BCS game. For that program, that's probably as good as it gets for now.

I spoke to one person who is friends with the former baseball coach of Bortles and Jeff Driskel. Said that when it came to crunch moments in the game Bortles would always come through, while Driskel would always fall apart. I think that shows in his game as a quarterback too. He's a clutch player. You see him interviewed and he's also a man. There's no boy in him. He's a mature leader. He can take a beating on the field. He never feels physically overwhelmed even if he's up against the most fearsome defensive lineman in the college game (Clowney).

Aside from playing well in clutch moments, the second thing he does (and this is something that should become obvious to whoever watches him) is he's about as good with pressure in the pocket as you're going to get on a guy that isn't Cam Newton-esque. He's pretty much Andrew Luck, the spitting image of Andrew when it comes to his elusiveness and ability to work the pocket against pressure. To make matters better he's extremely accurate throwing while rolling to his right or especially his left against his body. It's fun to watch.

Very smart guy, field commander in charge of the offense. Knows when to check it down and has a feel for when to attack deep. Processes a lot of information on the field and is able to make use of a lot of the weapons at his disposal including his face fundamentals (eyes, head, shoulders, etc). He's a natural with misdirection stuff.

Accuracy can be an issue at times (ball placement) because he has a tendency to throw off his back foot unnecessarily. He needs to clean up his lower body mechanics and make them consistent. Be Tom Brady. Be Drew Brees. Be Peyton Manning. Also he can kind of live and die by the sword sometimes when it comes to his tendency to use his eyes to draw defenders away from his target. He'll click back to his target and throw the ball before seeing if the way is clear.

He's not really a concern for Miami fans. He's going to go high and Miami is going to continue with Ryan Tannehill.

Jimmy Garoppolo will be the next guy to come out of "nowhere" and go hot in the media circuits.

That's got to be the same teams that have knocked Teddy because of his body frame. Bortles is stockier, built a little better but I don't think he has Teddy's arm or ball placement.

That's got to be the same teams that have knocked Teddy because of his body frame. Bortles is stockier, built a little better but I don't think he has Teddy's arm or ball placement.

I have Bridgewater ahead of Bortles for now but I see why they'd be tempted. In today's NFL the way a quarterback manages a collapsing pocket and can still make plays is becoming more and more important...especially for young guys before they're able to figure everything out like those 30+ year old vets that don't necessarily need to scramble around.

I've always liked him. Rugged player. Makes plays down the field when needed most. His YPA jumped out as special early in his career. Willing scrambler who can look awkward doing but is surprisingly effective throwing on the run, especially left compared to the norm, as ckparrrothead pointed out.

Not as relaxed or polished as he should be in the pocket. Can lead to some erratic throws. Didn't look quite as good deep into the season, when UCF strangely trailed Temple and USF and SMU into the second half, and deep into the 4th quarter in the case of Temple and USF. An arrogant veteran quarterback should be stepping on overmatched teams early. I thought Bortles got a bit lazy early in some games. He did have a bit of an excuse in that the running game really faltered down the stretch, with Storm Johnson and Co. averaging less than 3 yards per rush over the final three games.

Type of player who can look mediocre for long stretches but then burn you when it counts. His stats are always better than he appears to be playing. That's a good thing.

Big UCF fan here (alum... graduated in 2011). Definitely the best QB we've had since Culpepper. When he was tearing it up early in the season, I was like "hmmm, looks like he could be working his way INTO the draft." I find it funny that he's shot up to the first round recently, when he's had some of his worst (mediocre) games of the season. Part of that I think is that our o-line has kind of regressed towards the end of the season, giving Storm and Stanback no running lanes and putting all the pressure on Bortles. He's been pressing a little lately, but has made the clutch plays when it mattered.

Otherwise... great size/strength/athleticism combo. Deceptive scrambling ability. Great anticipation on his receiver's routes. Nice deep ball touch (if we can give that trait of his to Tanny...). When the pocket collapses, he has a great ability to escape and extend the play (and make a play). But the ill-advised throws come when he has nowhere to escape to. He very much reminds me of a less drunk Roethlisberger. We have a great group of receivers, probably a better overall group than when we had Brandon Marshall/Mike Sims-Walker. Breshad Perriman has NFL potential, Rannell Hall is speedy and reliable, and JJ Worton has great hands (as evidenced by the one-hander).

The Baylor game is really gonna be the one for him. All of the pressure is on. The NFL scouts will be watching BCS game, national stage. Against a speedy defense in Baylor. If he performs well, unfortunately as a UCF fan, he's gone. Apparently he loves college, but if he's projected as a high 1st rounder at the end of the season, he's as good as gone.

Back
Top Bottom