What do you BELIEVE is the reason for not addressing the WR position this season?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by oasis, Dec 23, 2012.

?

Why did the Dolphins not address the WR position THIS season?

1. Jeff Ireland didn't think it was necessary.

27 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. The Phins tried but trade(s) fell through.

24 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. Philbin did not want additional receivers based on the options available.

20 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. The salary cap prevented the Phins from doing it.

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. Jeff Ireland did think it was necessary but there were no suitable options.

57 vote(s)
    36.1%
  6. Other

25 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

This poll asks what YOU BELIEVE to be the reason the Dolphins did not address the WR position and get Tannehill more help on offense. Discuss below.

2. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Ireland was suffering Post-Traumatic Stress with MARSHALL

3. Mcganiel

Mcganiel A True Fan

Other, Packers had no free agents on offense in Philbens time as oc. He builds through the draft. We will be taking more WRs higher in the draft this year.

4. akaDolphan

akaDolphan Rookie

I think that they were making moves that in the long run are going to be great for the team. On paper this team should not be in the playoff picture with one week to go. I think it is a show of just how much further along we are in what we all thought might be a 3 year overhaul of our team. I am sad we didn’t make the playoffs, but in a strange way it’s a good sad....Because I thought for sure we were going to be in the running for one of the top 5 picks in the draft. Happy to be on the edge of my seat till that kick sailed through the uprights in Steeler Town. Fins Up!!

5. mega-fin-love

mega-fin-love Just trust me Donator

To build through the draft and not over pay for scrubs.......seems pretty clear to me

6. Irishfinfan1

Irishfinfan1 Well-Known Member

Agree with this, we filled a good few holes in the draft but couldn't fill them all, will get one or two with our first 5 picks.

7. Mcganiel

Mcganiel A True Fan

Also, fins not making the playoffs should give Philben and Ireland a lot more time to watch young prospects. Just a positive spin on not making the playoffs which i thought was way out of reach at the beginning of the season.

8. dolphans1

dolphans1 A True Fan

Look we're not in the playoffs because of our kicker, yes we can blame Tannehill for not getting the TD's instead of a chance to make the field goal, but in my opinion, Tannehill did his job.

We were a few games out from making it, and beyond this point I could care less in debating whose fault it was.

You have to win your division to really have a legitimate chance of advancing.

I hope we can add some great additions to this team in the off-season and through the draft.

d-1

9. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

Except we didn't.

10. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Philbin never had any say in GB, so this whole "He'll never get a FA WR" talk goes out the window.

Ireland makes personal decisions, if he goes to Philbin and asks his opnion on Wallace, Bowe or Jennings in a dolphins uniform next year, I doubt he's gonna LOL @ Ireland and say "nope, draft only mutha****a"

11. zmill

zmill Active Member

Where is the option for "Mid-season WR pick-ups are almost pointless because they will have little to no chemistry with the team/qb and it will take them weeks to comprehend the playbook."

Because I choose that one.

12. Mcganiel

Mcganiel A True Fan

Ryan= franchise QB
    martin=starting tackle for fins for next decade
    miller= the sky is the limit
    vernon= may be elite pass rushing DE
    egnew= has skills and jury is still out.
    mathews= will be great nfl wr with good size.

We did very well last year....

13. mega-fin-love

I respectfully disagree sir. Us not making any large off season moves is the precise definition of building through the draft. Sure we didn't get any good receivers in that draft but you can bet your *** we will this coming draft.

14. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

I don't understand why we didn't draft anyone until the 6th round. There were players I really wanted that were there when we drafted Egnew.

I think this season has made it painfully obvious that this team needs wide receivers who can make big plays, fight for the football in traffic, break tackles, and not trip over their own feet. If the position isn't addressed aggressively this offseason, I don't know what to tell you.

15. twix2500

twix2500 A True Fan

I think the plan all along was for this to be an evaluation year. Keep players who will by into the system, and dont make any hasty moves. That now is not more important than the future. Im sure they looked but the offers were beyond what they were looking for.

16. Mogwai

Mogwai Seasoned Veteran

It's always bizarre when people here imply that Philbin was running the Packers organization. We're learning his personnel philosophy now because this is the first real chance he has to execute one. Of course the Packers way of doing things has influenced him and he had input on what they did, but to assume that he's philosophically opposed to signing FA WRs is bizarre. Not to mention, we've already brought in 4 FA WRs this year. Just extremely disappointing ones.

Ireland overestimated his ability to find acorns as exhibited by waiting until late in the draft then signing Naanee ( :lol: ) and Chad. Maybe he was counting on a trade for James Jones, but I don't think that was realistic since GB is aware enough to realize Jones' was coming into the year with renewed dedication and wouldn't have made him available.

17. Valandui

That wasn't addressing the WR situation. A seventh round pick doesn't count as addressing it and signing Naanee is the opposite of addressing it.

18. Valandui

So not drafting a WR until round six after trading a top five WR for a cheese sandwich is building through the draft? Interesting.

19. Valandui

As a followup to my previous two posts, here is Registered Guy's signature.

20. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

I think you can only do so much in one year, that is the overwhelming reason.

If we had simply kept Gates he would have the flyer we so need right now.

We are taking some caps hits so this is also a clean up year for us.

and there simply was not a decent group of free agents out there.

I also really like our WRs and our young group of WRs.

21. Valandui

There was a decent group in the draft.

22. mega-fin-love

Of course. They may not have drafted the positions that we wanted ( I agree with you, would have liked to see a WR drafted high ) but I guess they were not sold on any receivers that we had chances to get. One thing is for sure though. We didn't spend much money on free agents and proceeded to build through the draft. I am a firm believer in building through the draft, especially when we draft what looks to be a franchise QB.

23. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

I voted other. I think Ireland thought it was needed but felt he could do it cheaply and with minimal risk with undrafted free agents.

24. NEPA Phin Phan

NEPA Phin Phan Active Member

I partly agree with this plus I really don't think they expected Tannehill to start the whole year. Until the injury to Garrard, Tanny may not have seen the field until the second half of the year.

25. broccoli rob

broccoli rob proud of your boy

I believe it was a combination of two things

1) they thought Tannehill would struggle more than he did
    2) Ireland thought he had James Jones in the bag, which would have been a killer trade and made up for losing Marshall.

They won't make the same mistake twice

26. Valandui

We are talking about Jeff Ireland here.

27. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

2010: Why didnt Ireland address our corner position? He thought he had it addressed with Vontae, Sean Smith, and Benny Sapp.
    2011: Why didnt Ireland address our right tackle position? He thought he had it addressed with Marc Colombo.
    2012: Why didnt Ireland address our wideout position? He thought he had it addressed with Nannee and Gates.

Anyone who didnt see this entire situation coming during preseason was deluding themselves. It was classic Ireland. Bring in a bunch of guys, declare the position open for competition and fine, panic in the regular season and cut some, bring in some veterans(wave to Al Harris) to try and salvage the situation in the short term. Next up, we will be spending a high draft pick to fix it.

To be clear, i voted for "because he didnt think it was necessary".

28. iambanned

iambanned A True Fan

I still say Miami would've had James Jones until the Greg Jennings concussion in early August. That injury changed the course of our season. But that's the answer to OP's question.

29. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I would agree if we hadnt drafted a 3rd runningback and a third te before we drafted a damn receiver.
    Reggie Wayne was a pretty decent receiver that had interest in Miami and would have cost the same as scrub Richard marshall.
    There was no excuse not to address receiver esp when we traded Marshall March 14

30. normaldude

normaldude Starter

Jeff Ireland thought that either Chad Ochocinco or Legedu Naanee would be our #1 WR. He was wrong.

31. FinHopeful

FinHopeful Starter

Are you unhappy with either Tannehill, Martin, Miller, or Vernon? I am not unhappy with their contributions. This was a reasonable draft that improved our team.

32. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I really believe the Dolphins want to fix their #1 WR position once and for all with a quality Vet that would be optainable in 2013.... as for who that receiver is, we would only be guessing if we tried to name him.

I also think they will ty to get a quality rookie in the draft in the 2nd or 3rd round.

33. Valandui

Taking TY Hilton over Egnew would have been a start. Martin wouldn't have been an issue if he hadn't signed Marc Colombo. Same thing with Miller had Daniel Thomas not sucked.

34. Sherif

Sherif Pro Bowler

I put other. The no suitable options comes in from sub par talent evaluation skills as a whole by the team. Not completely incompatent but no where near the top. Everyone knew we were weak there and with the proper knowledge of what you have and what you need as well as offensive game planning to recognize, and convey your specific need, the opportunity was missed. It's difficult to hit on everyone, but we're below the median in terms of hits and misses.

35. RobertHorry

RobertHorry Scout Team

Actually Philbin stated himself that he builds through the draft and not FA

36. Finfan0120

Finfan0120 Well-Known Member

Definitely "other". IMO Ireland didn't have faith in our rookie QB, new coach, and no-name roster, so he held off until 2013. Very disappointing as one decent WR could have put us in the playoffs.

37. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP

No suitable options? :lol: :bobdole:

38. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Personally I believe it is because Ireland is a bad gm

39. Pinkboy

Pinkboy A True Fan

Exactly. He's always trying to patch up his own mistakes, regurgitating over and over and over again

5 f'in years and on the way to his 4th straight losing season. No matter how anyone tries to cut it,. that totally sucks.

Four straight losing seasons..... Look up dolphins history and check out how many times that's happened. yeah thanks

40. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

I voted "other" because there was no option for "Jeff Ireland is an incompetent GM who does not know what he is doing".

41. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

That would be a landslide winner lol

42. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

You don't give big money to an aging WR like Wayne when you're at least 2 years away from contending for any type of titles. Is we signed Wayne, by the time were good enough to make a REAL playoff push he'd be on the downside. I'm glad they didn't sign an aging fee agent, i'd much rather draft a couple of receivers this year and let them grow with Tannehill.

43. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Wayne signed for the exact same money that we gave perpetual scrub Richard Marshall so how is spending money on a scrub better than a good wr. There is no logic here.

44. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

Outside of Ty Hilton, none of the receivers drafter in the last draft are that good so far. So I'd rather have our picks than the WR's that were there.

45. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

So u prefer taking our third string rb and our 4th string TE over taking a receiver.
    I mean who cares if we have the worst backup receivers in the league. I mean cmon Tannehill's receivers accounted for for a grand total of 66 yards an u feel no need to draft anybody last year ok

46. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

Richard Marshall is 28 ie in his prime and young enough to be here several years. Wayne is 34 and won't be that good several years from now. And how can you say Marshall was a scrub when he only played a couple of games before getting hurt?? If you look at the free agents that Miami signed to multiple year contracts, most of them were under 30 if I'm not mistaken. You don't sign aging free agents unless you're ready to contend and we're not there yet.

47. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Marshall has been a starter with Carolina for years and he was not a good starter. Marshall is a scrub based on his career in nfl. Yea u are right better to spend that money on scrub younger players than give your young qb a reliable target I mean he only needs 66 yards from his wr;s like he got this week. Indy is in playoffs much because of Wayne's play while we are watching once again with people that are not ready to play meaningful minutes in the NFL like Matthews and Moore but to each their own

48. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

Like I said, outside of TY hilton, give me ONE receiver that was there when we picked that is performing better than our picks? Our 3rd String RB Miller and Backup DE Vernon are out performing every WR that was drafted in this past draft (outside of hilton of course) So yes I'd rather have players that are producing even in limited roles than just drafting a WR high just to say we did. None of those receivers have amounted to anything so far.

49. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

HMM Egnew has done nothing this year so I would take Mihammed Sanu and his 16 receptions anyday which is way more than our third wr. Ty Hilton of course. Chris Givens and his 37 receptions and 3 tds. Even Travis Benjamin and his 11 rec and 2 tds.

50. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

You're sounding like a typical misguided fan, The colts will make the playoffs, but will probably lose in the first round maybe second if they get lucky, by the time they are good enough to contend for a super bowl or conference championship, wayne will be long gone buddy. I want my team to contend for Championships and signing wayne would not have put us there. I remember those days under wandstat when we would go 11-5, 10-6 every year and get knocked out of the playoffs in the first or second round. I want to be better than that and contend for titles on a consistent basis, ie patriots, steelers and packers and the only way to do that is to build your team via the draft and\or by signing YOUNG STUD FA, and supplementing with older FA.