What do you BELIEVE is the reason for not addressing the WR position this season? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What do you BELIEVE is the reason for not addressing the WR position this season?

Why did the Dolphins not address the WR position THIS season?

• Jeff Ireland didn't think it was necessary.

Votes: 27 17.1%
  • The Phins tried but trade(s) fell through.

Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Philbin did not want additional receivers based on the options available.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • The salary cap prevented the Phins from doing it.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Jeff Ireland did think it was necessary but there were no suitable options.

Votes: 57 36.1%
  • Other

Votes: 25 15.8%

• Total voters
It's always bizarre when people here imply that Philbin was running the Packers organization. We're learning his personnel philosophy now because this is the first real chance he has to execute one. Of course the Packers way of doing things has influenced him and he had input on what they did, but to assume that he's philosophically opposed to signing FA WRs is bizarre. Not to mention, we've already brought in 4 FA WRs this year. Just extremely disappointing ones.

Ireland overestimated his ability to find acorns as exhibited by waiting until late in the draft then signing Naanee ( :lol: ) and Chad. Maybe he was counting on a trade for James Jones, but I don't think that was realistic since GB is aware enough to realize Jones' was coming into the year with renewed dedication and wouldn't have made him available.

Ryan= franchise QB
martin=starting tackle for fins for next decade
miller= the sky is the limit
vernon= may be elite pass rushing DE
egnew= has skills and jury is still out.
mathews= will be great nfl wr with good size.

We did very well last year....

That wasn't addressing the WR situation. A seventh round pick doesn't count as addressing it and signing Naanee is the opposite of addressing it.

I respectfully disagree sir. Us not making any large off season moves is the precise definition of building through the draft. Sure we didn't get any good receivers in that draft but you can bet your ass we will this coming draft.

So not drafting a WR until round six after trading a top five WR for a cheese sandwich is building through the draft? Interesting.

As a followup to my previous two posts, here is Registered Guy's signature.

TY Hilton: 6 touchdown receptions as a rookie in 2012.

Jeff Ireland Acorns (combined): 3 touchdown receptions in 2012.

I think you can only do so much in one year, that is the overwhelming reason.

If we had simply kept Gates he would have the flyer we so need right now.

We are taking some caps hits so this is also a clean up year for us.

and there simply was not a decent group of free agents out there.

I also really like our WRs and our young group of WRs.

There was a decent group in the draft.

So not drafting a WR until round six after trading a top five WR for a cheese sandwich is building through the draft? Interesting.

Of course. They may not have drafted the positions that we wanted ( I agree with you, would have liked to see a WR drafted high ) but I guess they were not sold on any receivers that we had chances to get. One thing is for sure though. We didn't spend much money on free agents and proceeded to build through the draft. I am a firm believer in building through the draft, especially when we draft what looks to be a franchise QB.

I voted other. I think Ireland thought it was needed but felt he could do it cheaply and with minimal risk with undrafted free agents.

I think the plan all along was for this to be an evaluation year. Keep players who will by into the system, and dont make any hasty moves. That now is not more important than the future. Im sure they looked but the offers were beyond what they were looking for.

I partly agree with this plus I really don't think they expected Tannehill to start the whole year. Until the injury to Garrard, Tanny may not have seen the field until the second half of the year.

I believe it was a combination of two things

1) they thought Tannehill would struggle more than he did
2) Ireland thought he had James Jones in the bag, which would have been a killer trade and made up for losing Marshall.

They won't make the same mistake twice

I believe it was a combination of two things

1) they thought Tannehill would struggle more than he did
2) Ireland thought he had James Jones in the bag, which would have been a killer trade and made up for losing Marshall.

They won't make the same mistake twice
We are talking about Jeff Ireland here.

2010: Why didnt Ireland address our corner position? He thought he had it addressed with Vontae, Sean Smith, and Benny Sapp.
2011: Why didnt Ireland address our right tackle position? He thought he had it addressed with Marc Colombo.
2012: Why didnt Ireland address our wideout position? He thought he had it addressed with Nannee and Gates.

Anyone who didnt see this entire situation coming during preseason was deluding themselves. It was classic Ireland. Bring in a bunch of guys, declare the position open for competition and fine, panic in the regular season and cut some, bring in some veterans(wave to Al Harris) to try and salvage the situation in the short term. Next up, we will be spending a high draft pick to fix it.

To be clear, i voted for "because he didnt think it was necessary".

I still say Miami would've had James Jones until the Greg Jennings concussion in early August. That injury changed the course of our season. But that's the answer to OP's question.

I would agree if we hadnt drafted a 3rd runningback and a third te before we drafted a damn receiver.
Reggie Wayne was a pretty decent receiver that had interest in Miami and would have cost the same as scrub Richard marshall.
There was no excuse not to address receiver esp when we traded Marshall March 14

Jeff Ireland thought that either Chad Ochocinco or Legedu Naanee would be our #1 WR. He was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom