What does it mean if a draft pick does not accept a deal? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What does it mean if a draft pick does not accept a deal?

MiamiFan1354

Clumpys #1 Fan
Reaction score
Just saw on Foxsports.com that Rivers didn't accept the deal that SD offered him. What does this mean? Does he become a free agent, or is he gonna be put in the draft again next season if they can't come to terms??

There is a time where if he isn't signed, he goes back into next years draft. That isn't for a while.

Interesting.Maybe we will have a shot at him next year if we do bad enough.(Lol,just a joke)

is it possible for a player to stay out of the draft to sign with a specific team? Say someone wants to go to the phins, but as its unlikely he will fall that far, he does enter the draft but is signed on FA?

touborg said:
is it possible for a player to stay out of the draft to sign with a specific team? Say someone wants to go to the phins, but as its unlikely he will fall that far, he does enter the draft but is signed on FA?
Nope. I believe they would have to be through the draft and sit out two years before becoming a FA.

So it's not possible for a player to say "I don't want to be in the draft" and then get signed on FA ?

touborg said:
So it's not possible for a player to say "I don't want to be in the draft" and then get signed on FA ?
Nope.

That would open the NFL up to too many problems... Come play for us Joe Player... we'll slip you some good money under the table if you don't enter the draft!

Waaaaaay too many problems if you open that can of worms.

But if they don't enter the draft, can't they be hired as street guys? Like, say, an Arena League football player - they don't get into the draft, they're picked from outside...

As long as they're 3 years removed from HS, right?

sbh1602 said:
But if they don't enter the draft, can't they be hired as street guys? Like, say, an Arena League football player - they don't get into the draft, they're picked from outside...

As long as they're 3 years removed from HS, right?
From what I understand. After declining to sign a contract after they are drafted. They would have to either renter the draft the following year or have to sit out 2 years before becoming a FA. Then agian, I have tried to figure this type of situation out in the past and have wrong. But from the input I got in past years, this is as close to ir as I can remember.

BlitPhinFan said:
From what I understand. After declining to sign a contract after they are drafted. They would have to either renter the draft the following year or have to sit out 2 years before becoming a FA. Then agian, I have tried to figure this type of situation out in the past and have wrong. But from the input I got in past years, this is as close to ir as I can remember.
Ok, but what if a player doesn't enter the draft altogether? He can then be hired by anyone, right? As a street FA?

sbh1602 said:
Ok, but what if a player doesn't enter the draft altogether? He can then be hired by anyone, right? As a street FA?
I believe at that point he would have to sit 2 years before becoming a street FA. I thought I put that in my post but I could be wrong. Heck I could be wrong on the whole thing. I am just going off what I have gathered from the past answers I recieved.

I guess I need to go reread the rules on this. It's been quite some time since I looked. The rules may have changed.

I believe that if a player doesnt enter the draft he is a walk-on(street)

if you dont want to play for a team you do what elway or eli manning did, and refuse to play unless they trade you...

Back
Top Bottom