What does the "No wedge" rule mean for Ted Ginn and our return game?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phinfan31, May 14, 2009.

1. Phinfan31

Phinfan31 A True Fan Donator

2. Predaphin

Predaphin Predator in the Water

What is the purpose of removing the "wedge"?

3. burger13

burger13 FinHeaven VIP

I don't know why you think this rule will help??

A wedge is something that was designed to help the return team. Most teams chose to form a wedge...and now they are limited in their ability to do so.

If anything, this rule hurts the return game, not helps it.

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

That's what I thought.

But I wonder what this does for the model of a kick returner. Does it place a premium on larger guys that can break tackles? Does it make it so difficult to break off a big return that the best way to go is simply to get the fastest guy you can possibly get back there that can eat up ground before he gets tackled? Does it place more premium on guys who can use their vision, see who is making their blocks and who is missing them, making individual cover guys miss in the open field?

The first would be a potential recipe for Sean Smith to return kicks. The second would of course be Ted Ginn, Brennan Marion or that kid from New Mexico State. The latter would be more of a Davone Bess.

5. 3Ply Stagliano

3Ply Stagliano What a schmuck!

I thought it was a rule which stopped bigger players lifting smaller players up by their underwear.

6. mia4ever

mia4ever Pro Bowler

Don't Worry Ginn never use the wedge anywhere(it suicide)
    Your'll see more man on Man blocking

More run cross the field looking for and opening
    Like a punt return

What would be unfair is if Kickoff team is allow to crossover in to
    each other lanes..
    confessing the Man on man Blocking.....

7. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

I think this ruling will change not only the kick returner but those players who are normally used for the wedge. Instead of offensive or defensive linemen forming the wedge, you may see a fullback or two as well as tight ends and linebackers. Basically the more mobile type of blockers who can adjust better to the angles the "wedge busters" will not try to employ.

Let the chess match begin.

8. LDaniel7

LDaniel7 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I think the rule change has more safety in mind than anything else. Because of wedge tactics on kickoffs, teams were using bigger and bigger players -- and based on pure physics [mass x velocity = force] and kinetic energy, the potential for serious injury is exponentially increased.

LD

9. JT-forpresident

JT-forpresident Believe In Miami

a more simple way to put it out, ask any football player where's the worst role you can have on a team, and they'll all say the wedge on the KR unit (except maybe the few crazy mother****ers every team has :chuckle: ) i, for one, have suffered and gave the biggest hits of my life down there

either way, wether you're crazy or not, playing in the wedge, and breaking the wedge, is the most violent collision in football and it's not safe at all. I'm not surprised really by this ruling... i mean... year in year out the NFL creates new rules to protect players, but i must admit those rules were usually to protect QBs (mostly) and WRs (spearing comes to mind). Those playmakers are the trademark of football entertainment, the average football fan doesn't care if the wedge buster gets injured, because he knows there's one on the practice squad that'll do the job...

maybe the nfl is starting to care about ALL its players after all !

10. juniorseau55

juniorseau55 The Finheaven Intimidator

I don't know how I feel about this but if it does reduces injuries then this is something I do support. From a perspective of strategy change, I can definately agree that other strategies could be used.

11. burger13

burger13 FinHeaven VIP

how about you get all the guys who would have formed the wedge....get all kick return types. they all retreat when the ball is kicked and huddle up around whoever catches it.....

then all run out in different directions holding their hands behind their backs like they each have the ball. MASS CONFUSION!! :crazy:

12. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

lol, and you can't tackle a player that doesn't have the ball, that would be a penalty. It would be kind of funny to see like 8 differen't people get tackled on one play though.

13. nosleep

nosleep Resident GIF Maker

Wedge or no wedge, just KEEP Charlie Anderson off special teams. That's all I ask. That guy holds everything in sight...

14. PB4UGO

PB4UGO mmm, Finheaven, oghhhh

I wonder if this rule has anything to do with the TE from buffalo that almost got paralyzed, and trying to prevent it from happening again... I think it favors the elusive quick guy, not so much the "fast guy"

15. 1 dol fan

1 dol fan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I don't like the new rule because the wedge and the wdge-buster were the most violent parts of football and if football all of a sudden becomes tame, its not so fun anymore.

From a player's standpoint, I am glad that injuries are being prevented. From a lower-tier player, they may have just lost out on a job because they were the crazy mother****ers that volunteered to be the wedge buster (by far, the most violent position in football).

I always wanted to try busting the wedge at least once but being that I'm a 270 lb. NT, its unlikely I will ever be able to do it.

16. LDaniel7

LDaniel7 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Football is not suddenly going to become a tame game. There's plenty of violence to go around -- serious injuries could happen on any play. This just is at attempt to manage the situation most blatantly at risk, imo.

You have to look at the effect of steroids [cough, we all know they're not being used, lol] and body-building techniques, the behind the scenes growth of the game [the unspoken underbelly of all modern sports]. Now it's not unheard of to have 260+ pound players running under 4.7, 4.8, 4.9 and on the kickoff team. Wedges fed into that, without question, but years ago you wouldn't have had the situation.

It's pure physics and the human body can only stand so much.

That's the physical part of it. The game implications of this change might well favor Ginn in the early going of the season. It's going to take teams awhile to adjust to the new rules and if this gives any breakdown or crease to Ginn he'll take advantage of it, imo.

If he's indeed back there on kickoffs. As sexy as kickoff returns are, Ginn is FAR more valuable to this team in the role he plays as leading WR, forcing teams to respect the vertical. All other underneath WRs feed off of Ginn.

LD

17. RobaDob4

RobaDob4 Active Member

hahahaha

18. Avigatorx

Avigatorx Sec. 107 Row 2

I wonder if kicking teams will start aligning players in a manner to trick the receiving team into a penalty.

Sounded to me like alot of teams will be going man coverage on kickoffs.

19. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

A wedge is designed to help THE RETURN TEAM, not the kicking team..

If you dont undrestand what the wedge was, i completely understand the reason for your post. If you do understand what the wedge is, why is there even a question asking if Ginn would explode?

The wedge is normally the biggest guys on special teams blocking upfield (normally fullbacks and OL). They create a wedge by running together, hand in hand, in a wedge shape, up the middle of the field, returner behind them) to block those on the kicking team. The play causes alot of injuries (and IMO too bad, dont play a brutal sport of yor not willing to get hurt); unfortunately, the competition committee and Goodell wants to turn tackle football into flag football.

20. DFJR88

DFJR88 Well-Known Member

the nfl needs to stop ****ing with the rules

21. elliott

elliott Sheffield Fin

you can be tackled if you pretended to carry the ball.

did miami run a wedge KR last year? i know most NFL teams don't use wedges any more and prefer man blocking.

the rule is a good rule