What does the "No wedge" rule mean for Ted Ginn and our return game? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What does the "No wedge" rule mean for Ted Ginn and our return game?

I don't know why you think this rule will help??

A wedge is something that was designed to help the return team. Most teams chose to form a wedge...and now they are limited in their ability to do so.

If anything, this rule hurts the return game, not helps it.

I don't know why you think this rule will help??

A wedge is something that was designed to help the return team. Most teams chose to form a wedge...and now they are limited in their ability to do so.

If anything, this rule hurts the return game, not helps it.

That's what I thought.

But I wonder what this does for the model of a kick returner. Does it place a premium on larger guys that can break tackles? Does it make it so difficult to break off a big return that the best way to go is simply to get the fastest guy you can possibly get back there that can eat up ground before he gets tackled? Does it place more premium on guys who can use their vision, see who is making their blocks and who is missing them, making individual cover guys miss in the open field?

The first would be a potential recipe for Sean Smith to return kicks. The second would of course be Ted Ginn, Brennan Marion or that kid from New Mexico State. The latter would be more of a Davone Bess.

I thought it was a rule which stopped bigger players lifting smaller players up by their underwear.

Don't Worry Ginn never use the wedge anywhere(it suicide)
Your'll see more man on Man blocking

More run cross the field looking for and opening
Like a punt return

What would be unfair is if Kickoff team is allow to crossover in to
each other lanes..
confessing the Man on man Blocking.....

That's what I thought.

But I wonder what this does for the model of a kick returner. Does it place a premium on larger guys that can break tackles? Does it make it so difficult to break off a big return that the best way to go is simply to get the fastest guy you can possibly get back there that can eat up ground before he gets tackled? Does it place more premium on guys who can use their vision, see who is making their blocks and who is missing them, making individual cover guys miss in the open field?

The first would be a potential recipe for Sean Smith to return kicks. The second would of course be Ted Ginn, Brennan Marion or that kid from New Mexico State. The latter would be more of a Davone Bess.
I think this ruling will change not only the kick returner but those players who are normally used for the wedge. Instead of offensive or defensive linemen forming the wedge, you may see a fullback or two as well as tight ends and linebackers. Basically the more mobile type of blockers who can adjust better to the angles the "wedge busters" will not try to employ.

Let the chess match begin.

I think the rule change has more safety in mind than anything else. Because of wedge tactics on kickoffs, teams were using bigger and bigger players -- and based on pure physics [mass x velocity = force] and kinetic energy, the potential for serious injury is exponentially increased.

LD

I think the rule change has more safety in mind than anything else. Because of wedge tactics on kickoffs, teams were using bigger and bigger players -- and based on pure physics [mass x velocity = force] and kinetic energy, the potential for serious injury is exponentially increased.

LD

a more simple way to put it out, ask any football player where's the worst role you can have on a team, and they'll all say the wedge on the KR unit (except maybe the few crazy mother****ers every team has :chuckle: ) i, for one, have suffered and gave the biggest hits of my life down there

either way, wether you're crazy or not, playing in the wedge, and breaking the wedge, is the most violent collision in football and it's not safe at all. I'm not surprised really by this ruling... i mean... year in year out the NFL creates new rules to protect players, but i must admit those rules were usually to protect QBs (mostly) and WRs (spearing comes to mind). Those playmakers are the trademark of football entertainment, the average football fan doesn't care if the wedge buster gets injured, because he knows there's one on the practice squad that'll do the job...

maybe the nfl is starting to care about ALL its players after all !

I don't know how I feel about this but if it does reduces injuries then this is something I do support. From a perspective of strategy change, I can definately agree that other strategies could be used.

I don't know how I feel about this but if it does reduces injuries then this is something I do support. From a perspective of strategy change, I can definately agree that other strategies could be used.

how about you get all the guys who would have formed the wedge....get all kick return types. they all retreat when the ball is kicked and huddle up around whoever catches it.....

then all run out in different directions holding their hands behind their backs like they each have the ball. MASS CONFUSION!! :crazy:

how about you get all the guys who would have formed the wedge....get all kick return types. they all retreat when the ball is kicked and huddle up around whoever catches it.....

then all run out in different directions holding their hands behind their backs like they each have the ball. MASS CONFUSION!! :crazy:

lol, and you can't tackle a player that doesn't have the ball, that would be a penalty. It would be kind of funny to see like 8 differen't people get tackled on one play though.

Wedge or no wedge, just KEEP Charlie Anderson off special teams. That's all I ask. That guy holds everything in sight...

I wonder if this rule has anything to do with the TE from buffalo that almost got paralyzed, and trying to prevent it from happening again... I think it favors the elusive quick guy, not so much the "fast guy"

I don't like the new rule because the wedge and the wdge-buster were the most violent parts of football and if football all of a sudden becomes tame, its not so fun anymore.

From a player's standpoint, I am glad that injuries are being prevented. From a lower-tier player, they may have just lost out on a job because they were the crazy mother****ers that volunteered to be the wedge buster (by far, the most violent position in football).

I always wanted to try busting the wedge at least once but being that I'm a 270 lb. NT, its unlikely I will ever be able to do it.

Back
Top Bottom