What gase said on Friday via pb post | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What gase said on Friday via pb post

These are all players from last year. I dont understand this at all. Is the offense different this year than last? How did they know it last year but this year they dont?
Tannehill did a lot of directing last year. Getting guys in place, helping them learn the plays. There are a lot of things Tannehill did that no one around here gives him credit for, they just want to replace him.

In other words; Landry, Ajayi, Thomas, Tunsil, Pouncey, Stills, Parker; don't want to be bothered that much outside the building and are too busy doing their own thing. Guys have to have free time, but I think we all know what this means. Did Marino study outside of practice? Peyton? Elway? Singletary? Ray Lewis? Reggie White? Walter Payton? If you want to be better than just a "good starter" you have to sacrifice free time, no different than us normal folk at our jobs/school/hobbies.

I don't believe Stills is a problem. Landry didn't seem to know the correct route on a few plays last night

Every HC we've had here in the last 20 years has gone thru this. Maybe's the night life in Miami that get these players to be out instead of doing what they're supposed to do? I mean in GB there's nothing but cheese and farms....not really but when you compare it to Miami. Plenty of night life down south and I've been wondering for years now. Look at what was happening when Incognito was here. Party time for the o-line at Pouncey's house and all the bars they went to. Could that stuff still be happening?

Ozzy rules!!

What exactly is Ajayi doing wrong? The line can't open holes....how is that his fault? Then we bring in Damien Williams. For the love of God I dont understand how this guy is still on an NFL team. He makes one mistake after another. probably one of the worst football IQs in some time.

Shula could practice their ass off and scream at them in practice with the situation now practices are basically limited by the players association so its up to the players themselves to determine if they wish to put in the time. Coaching is like running a circus these days with all the money involved, free agency and the players lawyers.

The problem? They ALL get paid even when they dont care,study or try to win.

IF they had to perform and win as a unit to get a nice paycheck as opposed a journeymans salary to lose THEN my friends this crap would stop or at least slow down.

Every player took home a boat load of cash last night for a product that was at best laughable and at worst a crime (Like stealing)

I'm OK with Gase moving on from anyone who can't be bothered to put the work in. None of these players are good enough to get away with that. If you're a Julio Jones level talent, or something like that, maybe you look the other way. But if it's Landry? There's just not enough talent there to cover up for the fact that Gase can't gameplan like he would like to. You have to be willing to learn the offense, or you get what we have, which is one of the worst offenses I've ever seen.

I don't think Landry will be here next year at this point, and unless this is just some trumped up nonsense just to justify not offering him a bunch of $$$, I actually think they have to move on from him. He's not good enough. Same goes for everyone on this team. Gase still deserves the opportunity to bring in his guys.

I know that fans are very dissatisfied with Gase right now -- and I have some beefs too -- but in this case... I don't think this is throwing players under the bus. I think this is the coach finally just coming out and saying "Yes, these guys are botching their assignments constantly because they lack attention to detail."

And you know what, watching the game, I saw that, too. Tony Romo saw it from the booth. We all saw it. Guys taking the wrong assignments, running bad routes, etc.

Interesting to see whether this leads to more accountability or the coach 'losing the locker room.'

• Gase says he has been addressing issues with players not studying enough for “two years.” Says he’s fed up with it.
The issue I have with this statement from Gase is that if this was a known problem in the first season, why did he and the front office not do anything about it this off season?

Generally the first season of any new regime is one in which the staff evaluate the players they have and decide which ones have a long term future with the team and they stay, and those that do not have a long term future leave. If he knew that certain players were lazy in their preparation, or simply not able enough to pick up the play book and learn it, and in turn he had to simplify the offense for them in his first season, then they shouldn't have been on this football team for his second season. I don't care if their name is Jarvis Landry or Jakeem Grant, Jay Ajayi or Damien Williams - I really don't. If those players are not doing their job, then you move on from them.

I guess you might argue that you can't trade Jarvis Landry because he set the NFL record for most receptions in the first three years of his career alongside ODB, and likewise you might argue you can't trade Jay Ajayi after his breakout season. After all this team needs play makers and these two guys were important for us last season. However, if Gase feels that they don't know the playbook and he has to simplify things in order to utilise them on the field, then realistically you can do one of two things: option one, you take the hit on a simplified playbook (and in turn you can't really complain about this later on because you knew beforehand what keeping them meant); or option two, you move on from those players and replace them with players that can learn the entire playbook. You can't have it both ways if certain players can't/won't learn the full playbook.

Now to put it another way. What would Bill Belichick do to a player that can't/won't learn the full playbook? I would hazard a guess that player wouldn't last very long in New England if they were seen to be holding the team back. He has proven before that he is willing to let players go and replace them. Take the Jamie Collins trade as a prime example. Most teams don't trade away players like Jamie Collins, but Belichick did, and he stated they traded him away in the best interest of the team. They have done it time at number, and perhaps it is easier for them because of how successful they have been and they can get away with trading players that our team couldn't, but as far as I'm concerned our team shouldn't be afraid of moving on from players even if certain fans throw a tantrum.

Perhaps Landry isn't one of those that Gase is talking about, but if he is and you argue that you can't trade him because he's had managed a thousand receiving yards in consecutive seasons - well, so what? Brian Hartline managed the same thing in Ryan Tannehill's first two seasons in the league. We have seen receivers come into this league and make an impact almost immediately, and we have seen receivers cast off by other teams go on to have success elsewhere. So as much as I like Landry, Parker and Stills as our top trio of receivers, if any of them are holding us back, then this team should move on from them and replace them. And frankly, had this been a known issue at the end of year one, they should have been shown the door there and then.

If it's the players' fault, then friggin do something to them. Bench them. Cut them. Trade them. Something.

Back
Top Bottom