What I would do now if I'm Jeff Ireland | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What I would do now if I'm Jeff Ireland

insomnia411

The world is yours
Reaction score
Now that I have addressed major needs at WR and other areas, there are only a few left to fill and I'm going to utilize the draft and draf picks to do so.
As soon as is humanly possible I would trade our 2b pick for Albert, locking up the LT spot and look toward the draftto fill other holes. With my first pick at 12 I would draft tTyler Eifert. I like Keller but he's injury prone, on a one year contract, and Eifert gives our offense huge matchup advantages for a long time. With my top pick in the 2nd round I would look for a DB or a pass rusher. If Carradine is there I'd probably take him and if not I would look for a corner like Hayden or Banks. With my following 3rd round picks I would be looking at o line depth and I'd look to pick up a runningback and another pass rusher in the later rounds.
Thoughts?

Sounds good, I would be tempted to pick Eifert and Bailey with the first two picks. It would probably be overkill on one side of the ball but that would be a potent offense!
The question at that point is whether you can get enough talent on defense in rounds 3-7

Albert costs too much money as is, simply trading for him isn't as "smart" as alot of people on here think

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

If I were Jeff Ireland I would the best thing I could for the dolphins. Realizing that I am a below average GM I would go swimming with a meat suit on.

If I were Jeff Ireland I would the best thing I could for the dolphins. Realizing that I am a below average GM I would go swimming with a meat suit on.

Again, it's easy to sit on the sidelines and make these pronouncements but when you're the guy who's made the following GM pronouncements, I wouldn;'t be too quick to impugn the judgment of anyone else :idk:

a) advocated drafting Brady Quinn, and still defending him as not having had a real chance after losing out to Tebow in Denver,
b) swearing up and down that Cam Wake would never make a successful transition from the CFL
c) championing a trade for a 3rd rounder for Kyle Orton and then giving him a new $8MM contract
d) championing Dante Culpecker as the next franchise hope
e) spending half a season slurping Trent Edwards as the QB we should have selected in the 2nd round in '08 (whose just been released as the Eagles' 3rd string backup)
f) loads more but I'm multi-tasking

LOL, have that "meat suit" handy?

Again, it's easy to sit on the sidelines and make these pronouncements but when you're the guy who's made the following GM pronouncements, I wouldn;'t be too quick to impugn the judgment of anyone else :idk:

a) advocated drafting Brady Quinn, and still defending him as not having had a real chance after losing out to Tebow in Denver,
b) swearing up and down that Cam Wake would never make a successful transition from the CFL
c) championing a trade for a 3rd rounder for Kyle Orton and then giving him a new $8MM contract
e) spending half a season slurping Trent Edwards as the QB we should have selected in the 2nd round in '08 (whose just been released as the Eagles' 3rd string backup)

:lol2:

How is that any worse than
1- drafting Jake Long number one overall and not worth keeping
2-drafting Phillip Merling first pick of second round
3-drafting Chad henne in second round
4-drafting shawn murhy 4th round
5-drafting vontae davis 1st round then trading for a second
6- drafting sean smith second round but is not even worth dmitri patterson money to keep
7-drafting Pat white in second round
8-drafting Patrick Turner in 3rd round
9-Trading down with much better talent on board to take very average Jared odrick
10-draftin very average to below average Koa Misi in second
11-Same with John jerry see above
12- drafting AJ Edds in 4th
13-Trading up to draft Danial friggin Thomas in 2nd round
14-drafting edmund gates in 4th
15-drafting Michael Egnew in 3rd
16 trading two second round picks for brandon marshall and making him among the highest paid wr's then two years later trading him for two thirds
17-signing Jake grove to huge money after oakland cut him
18-signing Gibril wilson to big money after he was cut by another team'
19-Signing Ernest Wilford
20- Signing Reggie Torbor
21-overpaying an injury prone Justin Smiley
22- resigning Vernon Carey to be the highest paid RT in game then 2 years later cut him
23-overpaying richard Marshall
24- picking up overpaid Dmitri patterson off waivers after he was cut year one of his overpriced contract
25-signing Artis hicks to 2 million dollar contract
26-signing Chad johnson at all
27-Signing Nanee to be a starter
28-Signing washed up eric Steinback
29-Signing Marc Columbo to be our starting RT
30- signing Lydon Murtha to a second round tender
31- placing second round tender on Phillip merling
32-signing Karlos Dansby to be highest paid MLB in NFL then 3 years later cutting him obviously showing that he wasnt worth the money
33- helped botch Jim Harbaugh pursuit
34- helped Tony Sparano get an extension
35-4 straight losing seasons with him as gm

Im sure the list could go on and on and Im confident I could gm with at the very least the same ineptness that he could

also answers
a)brady quinn no worse draft pick than the Ginn/Beck combo. How many teams has Beck bounced around
b)wake as always still will say that dominating line in cfl which are lesser than top college programs means little to nothing, an anomoly
c)Dont think Orton would have been horrible here but never advocated giving him big money.
d)Culpepper was a very good risk just never recovered from injury much smarter than trading a second for a guy that never was like Feeley.
There were people that praised the trade for Green which worked out just as bad just less draft pick compensation and basically for same money that Culpepper was costing us that year
e)edwards was still a better selection than john beck who was able to start 7 games in his entire career as compared to Edwards 33. Becks career qb rating of 67 makes edwards look pretty good

Fins up of course HAHA

How is that any worse than
1- drafting Jake Long number one overall and not worth keeping
2-drafting Phillip Merling first pick of second round
3-drafting Chad henne in second round
4-drafting shawn murhy 4th round
5-drafting vontae davis 1st round then trading for a second
6- drafting sean smith second round but is not even worth dmitri patterson money to keep
7-drafting Pat white in second round
8-drafting Patrick Turner in 3rd round
9-Trading down with much better talent on board to take very average Jared odrick
10-draftin very average to below average Koa Misi in second
11-Same with John jerry see above
12- drafting AJ Edds in 4th
13-Trading up to draft Danial friggin Thomas in 2nd round
14-drafting edmund gates in 4th
15-drafting Michael Egnew in 3rd
16 trading two second round picks for brandon marshall and making him among the highest paid wr's then two years later trading him for two thirds
17-signing Jake grove to huge money after oakland cut him
18-signing Gibril wilson to big money after he was cut by another team'
19-Signing Ernest Wilford
20- Signing Reggie Torbor
21-overpaying an injury prone Justin Smiley
22- resigning Vernon Carey to be the highest paid RT in game then 2 years later cut him
23-overpaying richard Marshall
24- picking up overpaid Dmitri patterson off waivers after he was cut year one of his overpriced contract
25-signing Artis hicks to 2 million dollar contract
26-signing Chad johnson at all
27-Signing Nanee to be a starter
28-Signing washed up eric Steinback
29-Signing Marc Columbo to be our starting RT
30- signing Lydon Murtha to a second round tender
31- placing second round tender on Phillip merling
32-signing Karlos Dansby to be highest paid MLB in NFL then 3 years later cutting him obviously showing that he wasnt worth the money
33- helped botch Jim Harbaugh pursuit
34- helped Tony Sparano get an extension
35-4 straight losing seasons with him as gm

Im sure the list could go on and on and Im confident I could gm with at the very least the same ineptness that he could

also answers
a)brady quinn no worse draft pick than the Ginn/Beck combo. How many teams has Beck bounced around
b)wake as always still will say that dominating line in cfl which are lesser than top college programs means little to nothing, an anomoly
c)Dont think Orton would have been horrible here but never advocated giving him big money.
d)Culpepper was a very good risk just never recovered from injury much smarter than trading a second for a guy that never was like Feeley.
There were people that praised the trade for Green which worked out just as bad just less draft pick compensation and basically for same money that Culpepper was costing us that year
e)edwards was still a better selection than john beck who was able to start 7 games in his entire career as compared to Edwards 33. Becks career qb rating of 67 makes edwards look pretty good

Ireland at least gets paid for making his bad picks.. you just get served a bowl of sour grapes. (That's aside from not having one of the most elite sack artists in the league because of silly stereotypes).

Ireland at least gets paid for making his bad picks.. you just get served a bowl of sour grapes. (That's aside from not having one of the most elite sack artists in the league because of silly stereotypes).

Its not a sterotype it means he dominated against below level competition. He failed in his initial chance in NFL and for two years not one NFL team even brought him in for a workout.
Like I said he is anamoly.
I dont have sour grapes and yes Ireland gets paid to be a below average gm whats your point lol.
I love that counterpoint. I mean Brady Quinn gets paid to be an NFL qb so anyone that says he is not a good qb its only sour grapes lol.

Also back to your last point. I never would have ruled out Wake because if he has a workout what do I lose by checking him out. Plenty of NFL teams were there and not one team gave him a contract that showed they knew he was going to be a stud. I never once said I would never have signed Wake, just did not believe he would be a stud and judging by his contract as a player free to sign with any NFL neither did any NFL team. They gave him a pretty good contract for a CFL player coming to NFL but definately not a contract war because teams believed he was a sure fire top nfl player

Back
Top Bottom