What if we loss Matt Moore? then what?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Penntastic, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Penntastic

Penntastic Well-Known Member

Matt Moore is a FA and im pretty sure he's looking for a starting job else where.....Yes.. we have Pat Devlin but is this kid ready to become Tannehill's backup... Just wondering if Miami will pursue a veteran QB or will draft one.

2. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Bring back Pennington. He can mentor Tannehill and work with him, like he did with Henne and Sanchez. Oh, wait....

3. RZA

RZA Scout Team

Bring in a vet for training camp. If Devlin shows as much promise as he did last pre-season i'm cool with just him and Tannehill

4. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

Sounds like a plan to me. :up:

5. hoops

hoops exited stage left

roll with devlin...

6. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

Imo Matt Moore is moving upstate to battle Gabbert for the starting job in Jacksonville. We'll probably either draft a late round QB to develop behind Devlin or sign someone like Seneca Wallace or Tavarres Jackson.

7. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Smoking Hole at the Hard Rock Moderator Finheaven VIP

Is matt flynn available? :lol:

8. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Roll with Devlin as the #2 and draft a quarterback on day three to be the #3 and to push Devlin in camp.

9. Patrick_Bateman

Patrick_Bateman Rookie

That's what I assume they will do.

10. DolfanDuBbZ~

I think Henne stays on, and eventually might win that QB competition.

11. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

V.s Gabbert sure. No way in hell Henne's beating out Moore. No way in hell.

12. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

I remember watching this video a year or so ago when it was a new episode of Sports Science. Devlin headlines this one, and he looks pretty impressive. I'm sure most of you would enjoy this bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOBxUdi3glQ

13. Phantom

Phantom Phantom Donator

So if Tanny goes down earley in the season, your season depends on Delvin and a rookie, not to bright. Bring in a vet backup.

14. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

Pretty easy, you plan for his replacement.

15. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

I think Devlin is going to develop into a very solid backup. I'm comfortable with him as the backup and a 3rd QB late in the draft.

16. Ben Had

Ben Had FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Shouldn't Delvin be considered a vet back up now? Only guys left are washed up non performers! Best of the bunch would probably be Sanchez as soon as the jets cut him...

17. John Biello

John Biello Perennial All-Pro

ill be disappointed if moore leaves, but i would be happy for him if he got an opportunity to start. I wish him well where ever he ends up, i know some won't agree... but i appreciate the spark he gave our team and for dragging us back to respectability. I would like to think devlin would be ready if need be, obviously not for the long term but how bad can he be (insert ray lucas joke here) in a spot start.

18. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Unless Moore heads there, given that he's a better QB than Henne.

19. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

You're overrating Moore. Henne and Moore are pretty equal, but they're both backup quarterbacks.

So on this thread, what happens if we lose Moore? Um, what happens if Flynn leaves the Packers and signs with the Seahawks, if Kolb leaves the Eagles and joins the Cardinals, if Cassel leaves New England and joins the Chiefs?

Pretty sure none of those teams are saying DAMN I wish I had that backup quarterback we used to have on our team. He doesn't sweat all over these clipboards like these do.

Who the hell cares, they're backup quarterbacks for a reason. Sign Devlin, draft a 6th-7th round quarterback, or get an undrafted one and we good.

20. Gonzo

If we have to rely on Jackson or Wallace, our season is over anyways. At least Devlin has potential.

21. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Devlin will be considered a three year vet this upcoming season and has slowly worked his way up from the practice squad to the #3 last year. The coaching staff seems to be very high on him and I don't think it is crazy for him to be in a position to be the #2 in his third NFL season. The Redskins had a rookie starter and a rookie backup last year, and Miami started a rookie. Not so sure why the thought of a three year veteran competiting with a 4th or 5th round rookie is not bright. Unless they can bring Matt Moore back as the #2, I think you go with the plan of Devlin and a rookie.

22. DolfanDuBbZ~

Well when Moore is in JAX you will have a foot to stand on. But he isn't. Right now, through the play of the two QBs currently in JAX, Henne is the better of the two.

No hypotheticals. Just a fact.

23. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

Exactly my way of thinking.

:hi5:

24. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

I would look at Ryan Fitzpatrick if he is cut.

25. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

It's not a bad idea, but I'd imagine he would be too much of a cap hit (specifically for this particular offseason) to hold a clipboard, acting as a security blanket if Tannehill goes down.

26. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

Im not overrating ****. Never once did I say we would be in trouble if we lose MoOre, not once. I stated he's far superior than Henne.

Nice rant though, Could not agree more.

27. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

Your response to Matt Moore landing in Jax was that "Henne would win that battle". Whether you meant a three way competition or not really is besides the fact.

Moore > Henne > Gabbert. There is zero hypotheticals there.

28. Asicswrg85

Asicswrg85 A True Fan

Let Moore go, he isnt worth wasting cap space. The fact is, if your #1 QB gets hurt, you might as well just play for the draft. I mean how common is it for a team to win the superbowl w their backup QB??? Uncommon

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

29. tazthenomad

tazthenomad FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

That's funny!!! Thanks for the laugh.

30. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

I think Matt Moore will be in the unfortunate situation next season of signing somewhere for a shot to compete (a la Matt Flynn) and then probably lose out on it because he's not a good practice player. It's pretty lousy for him, because even though I don't think he's ever going to be a great NFL quarterback, he is definitely better than some of the guys who started this year for various NFL teams. Including a couple of teams in our own division. I just hope he doesn't wind up in New York unless it's to be Eli Manning's backup.

31. Cowboynemo

Cowboynemo Well-Known Member

David Garrard was going to be your starter before he got hurt. He's a savvy veteran QB that will be glad to hold down the backup spot, without expectation of replacing Tannehill. His contract would be realistic. Most importantly, if needed Garrard can play and win in the league. He's proven . In my opinion, He is the logical choice. Let Devlin develop. if Tannehill is what we expect, trade Devlin (like Green Bay, Flynn) for a number of draft picks.

32. phinatic0083

phinatic0083 Scout Team

Historically quite a few teams have made it to or won the superbowl with their backup qb. Just look at the 49ers kapernick was the backup and would have likely stayed the backup if smith wasn't injured

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

33. Gonzo

Wha? The guy has been very vocal about wanting a starting position or nothing. Further, he's clearly in it for the quick payday, hoping some sucker team (us last offseason) will give him another one without realizing that his body is broken. No thanks.

34. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

Earl Moral...?

35. DolfanDuBbZ~

Let me clear this up for you. I don't think Moore lands in JAX. I have been on record for many months, IMO, that Moore would find a home in BUF. I still believe he might end up there.

As for your opinion on rating the QBs. Moore is a different type of QB, but both he and Henne end up with the same results. Both have yet to show they are winners.

36. GEORGIA FIN

GEORGIA FIN FIN FOR LIFE

It's not an "If we loose Moore," it's a "When we loose Moore." Who cares who the backup is as long as we actually have a legitimate starter at the QB position going into the season for the first time in a long long time.

37. dolp1972

dolp1972 Well-Known Member

No big loss, if Tannehill gets hurt or tanks the year, we will be history anyway, think several possibilities exist including Alex Smith signining for a minimum, who know if you can trade for flynn for a late round pick......all sorts of inexpensive opportunities are out there......

38. Cowboynemo

"Garrard 'ready to go': CBSSports.com NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reports free agent quarterback David Garrard, who was in contention for the Dolphins' starting quarterback job before suffering a knee injury in the preseason, is healthy and cleared to work out for teams, according to his agent, Albert Irby. “He is ready to go,” Irby said. (Updated 11/13/12)"............Ok...he's 35, he's not a long term prospect for a starter ( but could be in a pinch) . He now knows he's a backup, if he can be the mentor, second pair of eyes, and be capable of playing to save a game or two, he might be worth a look....Don't know about you, but I want a backup that can win....He knows the basic offense. I think it's a smart, cheep move !

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2013
  39. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

I don't want Garrard.. he's a POS who knew long before that contrived swimming pool "mishap" that he needed surgery yet still conspired to steal Ross's money. Even beyond that if for nothing more than Omar's not-so-subtle agenda, I don't want to have to keep reading how Tannehill doesn't have "IT" and how Garrard should start. Thanks but no thanx.

And to those who think Henne can even carry Moore's jockstrap, were they in a coma during 2011?? Moore has a winning record as a starter and the years where he's started under center for 3 bad teams, his records have been better than when someone else started for those same teams. Watching him lead and rally the team from the stands was a real eye-opener after sadsack Henne. So give me a ****ing break as far as that shizzle goes!

40. Cowboynemo

Hadn't heard any rumors that Garrard's injury was anything but a 2012 injury. I know it was kinda funny that it would be done at home playing with his kids....but didn't know that "people were talking" about fraud .