What is the real value of a rookie? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is the real value of a rookie?

jaketaylor

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
With all of the talk lately about the amount of money being paid to the rookies from recent drafts, it made me think about just how much a rookie is really worth in the NFL. Its my opinion that the NFL is seriously dropping the ball in not addressing this issue and is forcing proven guys with plenty of football left out the door for what is a crapshoot. Is there any such thing as a sure thing when it comes to getting a guy out of college and bringing him to the NFL? What some have contended is that teams are willing to pay for potential and that they are paying rookies for what they think they can do for them not what they have already done. What is your opinion? Are rookie players worth such things as a $20 million bonus?

jaketaylor said:
What is your opinion? Are rookie players worth such things as a $20 million bonus?
I one word... NO! I thinks it's getting out of hand. At this rate the number one over all pick in the 2010 draft will take up half of a teams cap. :roflmao:

I despise, especially these two teams this year for the money they dished out: Cleveland and the Giants. I think they payed way too much and the fact that Winslow is holding out for more, if I read an espn article correctly, and the Clowns are even entertaining the possibily of giving it to him. Is an outrage.

JMHO

I don't think anyone just coming out of college should get $20 million up front. I mean they haven't even taken a snap in an NFL game yet.:fire:

EDIT: Winslow is holding out for contract negotiations, he just hasn't signed yet. Link

It appears that Winslow's agent is using the dollars, especially the signing bonus, that overall first pick Eli Manning got to extend the Browns as far as they will go.
Thank you Giants! Geeze!:shakeno:

BlitPhinFan said:
I one word... NO! I thinks it's getting out of hand. At this rate the number one over all pick in the 2010 draft will take up half of a teams cap. :roflmao:

I despise, especially these two teams this year for the money they dished out: Cleveland and the Giants. I think they payed way too much and the fact that Winslow is holding out for more, if I read an espn article correctly, and the Clowns are even entertaining the possibily of giving it to him. Is an outrage.

JMHO

I don't think anyone just coming out of college should get $20 million up front. I mean they haven't even taken a snap in an NFL game yet.:fire:

EDIT: Winslow is holding out for contract negotiations, he just hasn't signed yet. Link

Thank you Giants! Geeze!:shakeno:
Hey dont forget about the Cardinals. There giving Larry Fitzgerald potentially the most money EVER for a rookie! Its really quite rediculous. Does anyone kno wut were giving Vernon?

And why the hell is Winslow expecting #1 overall money? Its so much bull i cant even believe it. #6 money is what a #6 pick should get.

FinFan24 said:
Hey dont forget about the Cardinals. There giving Larry Fitzgerald potentially the most money EVER for a rookie! Its really quite rediculous. Does anyone kno wut were giving Vernon?

And why the hell is Winslow expecting #1 overall money? Its so much bull i cant even believe it. #6 money is what a #6 pick should get.
We gave Vernon around $8.3 million, I believe was the figure, over 5 years. $6.3 this year with part of the signing bonus included. Much more reasonable. Though I think that is a bit high as well. Considering being the 19th overal. I would have agreed with closer to $5 million total for the first year with signing bonus, and I think that is being gracious. :tongue: I just can't believe all this guarenteed money being tossed around before they even take a regular season snap.

And yes, I forgot about the Cardinals and the Fitzgerald fiasco that is in the works. Things are getting out of hand quickly. As far a draft signings go.

Yeah, I think they need to cap rookie signings. Thats half the problem with these guys, they get all the money, and think they rule the world.

NLude33 said:
Yeah, I think they need to cap rookie signings. Thats half the problem with these guys, they get all the money, and think they rule the world.
Exactley, I think the NFL needs to take a page out of the NBA as far as draft signings are concerned. The NBA instituted a draft cap on how much they are allowed to pay a player the first 3 years. Now granted after that they get absolutely ungodly figures(I don't want that to happen in the NFL). But something should be done to help minimize these rediculous signings.

Rookies get paid all that money for potential. In the NFL, and in pro sports general, potential pays more than production. That's how it is, and it is really getting out of control.

Maverick said:
Rookies get paid all that money for potential. In the NFL, and in pro sports general, potential pays more than production. That's how it is, and it is really getting out of control.
But from what I understand the NBA put a limit on how much a rookie can make in their first 3 seasons. I think that's a good idea. Now granted these kids get an @$$ load in endorsements, but at least it's not coming out of the teams salary.

Yeah, I've been thinking about this too. The rookie contracts, specifically for the top 6-7 picks, are getting out of control. The fact that Larry Fitzgerald has as good a contract as Randy Moss is quite laughable.

However, that's about the only good thing the NFLPA has done for its players. NFL players have it considerably worse than the athletes in other pro leagues...

Yes, the NBA's system is much better than the NFL's, in their basic structure. But teams waste too much money on what "could" be than on what "is". That's what is drowning the NBA right now, and is hurting the NFL, albeit not as much.

Back
Top Bottom