What is to become of Daniel Thomas?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da GODfather, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Da GODfather

Da GODfather Well-Known Member Donator

With Reggie Bush running the way he did last season and the edition of Lamar Miller, what do you guys think will happen with Daniel Thomas?

Me personally, I think that if he stays healthy, can be a REALLY good running back. In the limited time he did see action, he showed some good flashes. He has a good burst, nice speed and never seemed to go down on the first hit. Most times it took multiple tacklers to bring him down.

Do you think that Philbin's new system will be good or bad for Thomas?

Does anybody think he might end up on the trading block sometime this season and if so, what do you think we could get for him?

2. DcRy82

DcRy82 A True Fan

I don't think he goes on the trade block at all this season. If so, I doubt we could get more than a 5th seeing as he's very unproven. Like others have mentioned, if Miller becomes the back most of us think he can, the FO could very well let Bush walk after this season. That would leave Miller and Thomas as our 2 backs. And if that's the case, I think we should keep them both around. Most teams have 2 backs these days.

3. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

He will be fine, he is a different type of running back compared to Bush and Miller. He is the big back they need to compliment the skills of guys like Bush and Miller.

4. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

Gezzzz, freaking wait til the preseason games before you start damning someone with faint praise and then asking how much we can trade him for.

This is disfuntional mental masterbation.

5. Da GODfather

Da GODfather Well-Known Member Donator

Did you even read my post or just skim through it? I think Daniel Thomas is a hell of a back and deserves praise. You make it sound like I want him traded, which I most certainly do NOT. I hope he doesn't end up on the trading block, was just curious what everybody else thought and if he might end up there, what we might his value might be.

Relax... go get some more lube or something gezzzz

6. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

Am I hurting you or do you simply like more lube? Should I go slower?

maybe, just maybe, your post mentioned that you wanted to know his trade value. read your own post better.

7. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

The defenses will have hard time preparing for the running game this year. So long as the OL stays consistent.

8. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

I envision this as well. He's the between the tackles guy that we need with Reggie and Lamar as the home run hitters.

9. Thumper1016

Thumper1016 A True Fan

Fast and hard works for me :lol:

10. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Thomas deserves praise for what?
    Being a huge disappointment last season,He had ZERO rushing tds last season should we praise him for that?
    Should we praise him for having a 3.5 yard per run average?
    Should we praise him for having a 3.0 yard per carry average after his first 2 games?
    Should we praise him for having a chronic hamstring problem going back to the senior bowl?
    Not sure where you saw Thomas "never goes down on the first hit" people would blow on him last season and he'd go down
    As for good burst...WHEN?
    I SURE HOPE WE DIDN'T WASTE 2 DRAFT PICS FOR THIS GUY!

11. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

Thomas hit the wall in every way shape and form last year - now we'll see if there is any jam in those thighs - if there is - he will be asked to be your 4th quarter closer - that is - if we have the lead

12. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

IMHO..Thomas is still on scholarship this season. He has shown a couple of flashes. But..I think he will go on the list of guys that never panned out.
    Hopefully I am wrong and he can show some promise of being something more than a short yardage or change of pace back.
    With Bush as our primary back, and Miller showing all kinds of ability, DT will probably be an afterthought. Just my .02

13. King Dingaling

King Dingaling Well-Known Member

He should be better in the zone blocking scheme cause that's what he ran in college. He seems like he's running with more authority and speed than last year. I know Sparano was nervous about Thomas's hesitation last year and rightfully so. He will get his fair share of carries in the preseason so we will soon find out. Hopefully he will be healthy so there are no excuses. Either way I say we keep him for the short yardage situations and give the home run threats a breather. You can never have enough good backs, especially with Reggie's injury history and Miller fresh off shoulder surgery.

14. luduporcu

luduporcu A True Fan

I would extend BUSH and not trade ANYONE. BUSH had a great season last season, but he got "dinged" in Game 15 if I remember correctly. That means that IF the last game was key, and/or if MIAMI made the Playoffs, BUSH wouldn't have been there for us. As to DT, he tried to "tough out" a minor hamstring injury with the result that it was a problem for him all year.

What would a second "scatback" or a 2nd power HB have meant last season? Simple: it would have meant that the rushing game wouldn't have missed a beat. HBs get injured all the time in this League. I/m/o, if you end up having TWO each of "scatbacks" and power HBs, you keep them ALL, pay them well, use all of them, and thank/praise the Lord.

15. justdev7

justdev7 Rookie

Honestly I hope we get a chance to trade bush for something. His value will probably never be higher than it is now

16. trsandaal

trsandaal Active Member

It's the NFL. You need depth, especially at the RB position. Look at Dallas last year. DeMarco Murray was third on the depth chart and finished as the lead horse. Guys get banged up, guys get hot, etc. I feel good about the fact that for the first time in a LONG time we have a semblance of quality depth at many positions, notably QB and RB. If Garrard pans out. . .Ireland is building for short term and long, as he should.

Honestly, my biggest concern is with the pass rush. When Olivier Vernon tweaked his ankle last week, I had no idea where they were going to turn. Westerman seems to be getting to the QB in camp, which is nice, but think about it. We need to put some heat on the Brady's of the world or we are just automatically putting two L's in the that column for the forseeable future. Our secondary, this moment, isn't looking like a coverage-sack machine.

17. cuban_refugee

cuban_refugee Football On My Mind 24 Hrs Per Day

He looked really good when I saw him at camp.....made a nice break on a pass for 30-yd gain. Was finding good running lanes, too. He has a quick cut and wasn't afraid to take a hit.

18. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

Daniel Thomas isn't the odd man out unless he gets outcompeted by Messam.  Jonas Gray is injured, otherwise he would provide competition at the "big back" spot as well.  IMHO, DT is safe for this season and will have a chance to show what he can do in a zone blocking scheme.

Where the real logjam is at is the speed/big play back, where you've got Bush, Miller, Slaton, and Thigpen.  You have to figure Bush and Miller are locks.  But it sounds like the staff really likes Slaton in the WCO and if you listen to Congemi's practice report/discussion from today, Thigpen is a really speedy guy who has stood out and who they're trying to figure out roles for (e.g. slot receiver).  There are a lot of potential playmakers in that backfield, and while I don't like the idea of DT taking a RB spot from someone who can really be a weapon, his role as a big back or thumper is essential.  Only problem is he didn't do too well in that role last season...he was putrid at the goal line.  Perhaps Messam could beat him out and then yes, he might end up on the block, but I haven't heard much about Messam thus far.

He should improve from last season, but do you want the guy taking carries away from Bush/Miller if it's not short yardage?

19. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

Thigpen will likely end up in competition for just a couple of roster spots. Will the fins keep the extra WR, extra TE or extra RB or FB?? Whoever flashes the most talent and the most ready to play will probably stick and factor into deciding how many players we keep at those positions. Special Teams play will factor in too.
    Gray will get stashed on the PUP or IR(whatever list)..lucky for us and him. Thigpen will probably show enough to end up on the PS.

20. JMarino

JMarino Starter

Daniel Thomas = Lorenzo Booker. Never going to amount to anything.

21. FinsKickArse

FinsKickArse Tru To The Game

You lost me at "edition" LOL

22. hoops

hoops exited stage left

poor mans arian foster...

23. Tunaphish429

Tunaphish429 1st Ballot Hall of Famer Donator

Cant wait for preseason..

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

24. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR