What muscles are involed with throwing the football? Can we strengthen it? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What muscles are involed with throwing the football? Can we strengthen it?

It's more mechanics than anything else. As for muscle strength, it would be a qb's ability to innervate all of his muscle fibers more instantaneously, that would mean the most.

It is a combo of all those things. The biggest thing is the ability to create ball velocity before release. Take major league pictures just for example. R.j. and the rocket are big pictures. roger is a muscle thrower while johnson is a long lanky picture that uses his length to create velocity. Pedro is nowhere near the size of the other 2 pictures but uses more of his body to generate velocity. If you look at marino he had a short throwing motion, compact, but was able to use his legs, torso, shoulder, arm, etc to get the velocity he did. Elway, Farve have similar motions that make the ball travel a greater distance before release. Cunningham had to have the longest slowest throwing motion I have ever seen. You can do some things to help arm strength a little but if you could get the results you would like to see happen with fielder then ask yourself why more NFL QB's do not have cannons for arms, Why more pictures cannot throw 100, for that matter why can't roger and randy throw 110 mph. Because for the most part throwing the ball with power requires the body to work in that perfect rythem that generates power without overthrowing causing accuracy to suffer. If it was that easy to strengthen a QB arm Most if not all would be lifting and training to do so and noone would be talking about arm strength of a QB comming out of college. I guess that means that I come down on the side that says that 90 to 95 % of arm strength is natural. I have a 11 year old son and he is small for his age, 4'6" and 63 pounds, yet he can throw a baseball over 60 mph and can throw a football near 35 yards. I know kids his age twice his size with more muscle mass that cannot come close to those numbers while others that are larger can destroy those numbers. Natural plays the most important part IMHO.

As an example, try throwing a football standing stationary, without moving your feet at all. You would see how much your lower body (legs, hips, etc.) comes into play as well as your abs as they are involved in almost every movement. I remember in HS when I had a friend (as a junior) who never worked out and was not buff at all and could bench 315. He would always bet people and win. I've seen plenty of really skinny guys hit 300yd drives, hit homeruns, etc. Remember how skinny Randall Cunningham was and he had an arm. It is a lot more than working out your upper body.

Bonedoc7777 said:
the rotator cuff is mostly used, these muscles are called the SITS muscles and assist in rapid deceleration of the shoulder when throwing overhand. they can be strengthened but it varies between people

Bingo.

The most important muscle you need to develop is the brain.Some of you might argue that the brain is not a muscle but it is the most important organ a player needs particularly in QBing.It helps to have good size and a cannon arm but if you are not football intelligent you will have a tough time making it.Thats what comprises "The intangibles"

Muscles aren't nearly as important in throwing a ball far, as is mechanics and understanding of how the ball travels, which both can only be mastered by repitition. No particular lift is going to strengthen your muscles enough as pure old practice will.

I can work out evry day for the rest of my life, ill never throw as far as Favre, or with as much zip as Marino(i can throw pretty good tho:)). U can improve a lil bit by working out the muscles, but mechanics and genetics r the main things.

The following is all my OPINION based on my years watching Dan Marino and my years of Martial Arts Study and Training:

I believe (at least in Marino's case) its the same secret as Bruce Lee's "One Inch Punch" (a lead jab thrown from an inch away that when properly used can knock someone to the floor)... This technique generates its power from the "pop" of the hips... So back to Dan, if you look at his arms, even in his prime you wouldn't say he had "big guns"... So where did that power come from? It was in his hips.... a quick "snap" and the ball was gone. I also believe it added to his quick release. The power and speed that can be generated by a quick "pop" or twist of the hips and transferred to the upper body is simply amazing.... Next time you see film of Dan, or Bruce for that matter, look for it.

KYfinfan said:
Genetics! No matter how much you lift and workout, your body is only going to get so big.
Obviously it primarily genetics, look at most quarterbacks and pitchers, not exactly what you would call the strongest or most athletic postions in Pro Sports....Throwing motion and ability seems to be something we are just born with for the most part.

IT is much more than just lifting to gian muscle strength. Tendons and muscles have an elasticity to them. It other words, they are stretchy. Sure QB's and pitchers could add more bulk to their frames and arm, shoulder area but at osme point, it would make them inneffective. The muscles would become to big and the tendons under too much strian to really perform at 100%. If the tendon cannot stretch to its potential, the ball isn't going to be accurate, or far, and ou QB/Pitcher will eventually end up hurt. This varies for each athlete as to how much one can put on noe's frame. One good example is Kevin Brown, pitcher for the Yankees. He has absolutely nasty stuff, great mechanics and yet he is always injured. He started becoming injured after he put more muscle on his frame, it strained the tendons and ligaments in his arm, back and legs which caused him to hurt himself and not get enough sink on his sinker ball.

Same thing applies for QB's. enetics plays a part, and overall arm strength is somewhat genetic. Therefore, you will never see Fiedler throw like Favre or Vick. I do believe he could strengthen himself to some degree, but it really has to be monitered so that he doesn't overdue and make himself even less efective.

Also, the crack about the brain was great. :lol:

CrunchTime said:
The most important muscle you need to develop is the brain.Some of you might argue that the brain is not a muscle but it is the most important organ a player needs particularly in QBing.It helps to have good size and a cannon arm but if you are not football intelligent you will have a tough time making it.Thats what comprises "The intangibles"
Why do you have to drag Rob Johnson into this :shakeno:

13isgr81 said:
The following is all my OPINION based on my years watching Dan Marino and my years of Martial Arts Study and Training:

I believe (at least in Marino's case) its the same secret as Bruce Lee's "One Inch Punch" (a lead jab thrown from an inch away that when properly used can knock someone to the floor)... This technique generates its power from the "pop" of the hips... So back to Dan, if you look at his arms, even in his prime you wouldn't say he had "big guns"... So where did that power come from? It was in his hips.... a quick "snap" and the ball was gone. I also believe it added to his quick. The power and speed that can be generated by a quick "pop" or twist of the hips and transferred to the upper body is simply amazing.... Next time you see film of Dan, or Bruce for that matter, look for it.
Bruce Lee is dead. :mad:

Here's an analogy for you.....
Why don't all major-league baseball pitchers throw 95 mph fastballs?
Can't they strengthen their arms in certain ways so that they could increase their speed?

I'm sure it's similar for QBs. You can help SOME with weights, but you also have to be born with the ability too.

Back
Top Bottom