What % of the Top 25 NFL Receivers(2013 yardage) are under 6' Tall? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What % of the Top 25 NFL Receivers(2013 yardage) are under 6' Tall?

mahmacoat

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I wasn't down with Tavon Austin and I am not with Brandin Cooks

Antonio Bryant had 1499 yards
Desean Jackson over 1300
Kendall Wright, TY Hilton, J.Edelman had over 1000

Those are the 5 of the 23 WRs who broke 1000 yards last year who are under 6 foot

There's nothing wrong with a slot receiver that's under 6'0. Just don't take one earlier than the 2nd round.

In a #1 receiver you can build your passing game around, I'm looking for 6'4 225 ~4.47 40, 34 inch arms and a 38 inch vertical.

As a comparison, Mike Evans is 6'5 230, ran a 4.53 (same time as Brandon Marshall) has 35 1/8 inch arms and has a 37 inch vertical.

Or a receiver that has a longer than average wingspan, see Chris Chambers. I remember telling my brother once that he was 5'11 and he even bet me money that he wasn't. Sometimes it's not how big you are but how big you play. Now, when you have a 6'5 receiver that plays as big or bigger than that: that's a find.

Or a receiver that has a longer than average wingspan, see Chris Chambers. I remember telling my brother once that he was 5'11 and he even bet me money that he wasn't. Sometimes it's not how big you are but how big you play. Now, when you have a 6'5 receiver that plays as big or bigger than that: that's a find.

Evans plays like he's 6'9 haha

I miss Brandon Marshall :( i am a huge fan of the bigger bodied reciever ala Brandon, Megatron, Andre Johnson etc....

I'm more concerned with whether they are football players and whether they can score touchdowns than height.

Brandin Cooks is a better prospect coming out than Desean Jackson.

I swore Chris Chambers was like 6'4 when I was younger. I was shocked when I found out he was 5"11. Some people just play bigger.

We would have to know the total amount of starting WRs in the league that are under 6' tall. If the majority are over 6' tall, then of course the numbers are going to look like you don't want a WR under 6'.

Antonio Bryant had 1499 yards
Desean Jackson over 1300
Kendall Wright, TY Hilton, J.Edelman had over 1000

Those are the 5 of the 23 WRs who broke 1000 yards last year who are under 6 foot

Pierre Garcon, Torrey Smith and Harry Douglas all broke 1000 yards and are only 6' even. Which means they're probably measure shorter in real life.

Bigger is not always better. A lot of big bodied receivers are very stiff and can't run good enough routes to work in our offense. There are the rare big bodied guys like Jordy Nelson, Andre Johnson or Brandon Marshall who have the body control and change of direction to run the entire route tree exceptionally well. There are a couple of guys in this draft with that type of ability. I was impressed with Mike Evans at the combine, he certainly displayed better body control than I expected but he's kind of green with route running due to playing with a QB who like to improvise and just throw the ball up in his general direction. Without Evans, Manziel's numbers would have looked much worse IMO. Allen Robinson is another guy who I think helps his QB out a lot and no one seems to be talking much about him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nick1, thank you for posting this.

I was screaming this sentiment last year when everyone was jizzing their pants about Tavon Austin and wanting us to trade into the top 10 to get him.

As you have illustrated, there are a few sub 6 foot receivers who have success but virtually none were 1st round picks.

It's safe to say that a large catching radius with jump ball skills trumps speed in today's NFL passing game.

Mike Wallace's numbers would have been insane if he would just go up and fight for the damn ball.

Back
Top Bottom