What the Alex Smith Deal Means for Miami...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Billk78, Jan 30, 2018.

1. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Wrong! - What you don't understand is that the Redskins have unsuccessfully tried to negotiate a long term deal with Kirk Cousins for over the past 3 years and he (and his agent) have said no to everything and tied up the Redskins with successive franchise tags. Washington now have a decent QB in Alex Smith locked up for the next 4 years - that is what they have won. They can now go about the process of professionally planning for the future without being held hostage by a mercenary QB and his agent. I predict the Redskins will improve. I support Washington's decision 100%. Cousins is good but way overrated.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    fin415, Avigatorx and Fins1971 like this.
  2. FinfanInBuffalo

FinfanInBuffalo Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

You can play with a sprained knee after the swelling and inflammation has gone down. Happens all the time. The issue is the stability of the knee. Some sprains leave the knee unstable and some do not.

They didn't "repair it". Besides, according to reports,, there was no additional damage from practice. No additional tearing or re-tearing or whatever you want to call it. It showed instability in the knee. That is why they did surgery.

3. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

Many say the exact thing about Alex Smith.

4. dnespins

dnespins FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

exactly. except for the 3 probowls, 7 playoff games, 11+ wins in four of the last seven years and the 69-31 record over that span. other than that, pretty much identical.

5. mwestberry

mwestberry FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Wow...BTW, what does most of this thread have to do with the thread title?...confusing lol

6. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

"When there is a complete rupture and the ligament is not functioning, the best treatment consists of surgery, including the reconstruction of a new ligament. If the patient has only experienced a partial tear, and the knee is not unstable, physical therapy and non-operative measures can often be effective."

He had stem cell treatments and rehab. Everyone familiar with the injury said it was healed 100%. I understand your disregard for their opinions because the knee was injured for a second time in the same ligament. It is quite possible that the strands that were completely torn and required surgery were different than the strands of ligament that was healed from his previous injury. If you want to continue this debate I would suggest PM so we can allow the Cousin's discussion to continue without distraction. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Torn ligaments don't heal. This isn't disregard for opinion. It's medical fact. I have no desire to continue this conversation with you in any way, as I've seen villages full of straw men before.

trojanma likes this.
  7. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

To the Cousins point:

I'm actually a fan of Cousins, and think he was hamstrung this past season after his deep threats were taken away from him. I really don't want him in the AFC East.

To the Tannehill/Cousins debate, they're different QBs. While I wouldn't be tragically disappointed if Cousins replaced Tannehill (which I think is virtually impossible outside of a bizarre fantasy of a couple very specific posters), I think said posters would be horrified by what happened if Cousins had to deal with the sort of OL issues that Tannehill dealt with.

FinfanInBuffalo likes this.
  8. TeeMoney

TeeMoney Penny Wise and Dollar Dumb Finheaven VIP

L
    O
    L

Ok, I offered that earlier yet you continue.

Cousins is one of Omar’s man crush alumni, he’s gotta be a step up from RT. Hah! He has heart and fire like Landry though.

9. FinfanInBuffalo

Probably the best reason anyone could come up with the avoid Cousins.

10. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

And I said I didn't want to continue. And yet here you are.

Look; we can agree to disagree. And I think that's best. I agree with your suggestion to keep it about Cousins.

11. Locke

Locke They looked like strong hands.

I guess that's a matter of opinion. I see Tannehill as someone we haven't found his ceiling yet. It could be 2016 before his injury, or it could be higher, we don't know yet. Alex Smith's ceiling is first round playoff exit. I see those as significantly different situations.

Avigatorx likes this.
  12. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

Both Tannehill and Cousins have garbage records against winning teams.

In 2016 Tannehills "best" season he was 1-3 against teams with a winning record, he threw 2tds and 4ints.

13. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

Harbaugh and Andy Reid... vs Joe Philbin and one year of Gase... Hmmm...

Avigatorx and joenhre like this.
  14. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

I see the chiefs going 8-8 next season with basically a rookie first year starter in Mahomes. What's the significance of that? Means if Miami can win 9 games we might get a wildcard spot.

This trade also could affect the draft. Broncos will probably sign cousins. Which increases our chances of one of the top QBs being available at 11. Which means we could get some interesting trade offers for that spot.

A lot can still happen though. Hell, if Foles wins the superbowl, he will get a nice offer from another team. Hopefully the jets.

15. NYC#1finsfan

NYC#1finsfan #1DandyDanFan

The Dolphins are so Dysfunctional that they won't know how to handle this situation anyway, I'm fairly certain. Even the article calls them Washington South. With Tannenbaum calling the shots, count on Cousins to the Jets with that $100M in cap space.

16. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator

What situation?

Spiff and FSU Truth like this.
  17. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

If you look at it from that perspective Smith has them both beat. He has road wins this year in NE (defending champs), road wins last year against Atlanta (NFC Champs), Denver (defending champs), Oakland (eventual AFC West Champ) and Houston (eventual AFC Central Champ). He even has a road win in Denver they year they were the champs. Something Brady couldn't do in 2 tries. Got his first playoff win last year in a road win over Houston. His only AFC winning team he has issues with is Pittsburgh. We'll see how he fares in the NFC.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  18. NBP81

This is Ryan Tannehill's statline when he went to Denver ...
    26 36 228yds 3TDs 1INT 104.9 in a 39-36 loss on the road... This is why using the record to judge QBs is kind of useless...

Vaark and TheWozz like this.
  19. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

I understand that the record is the teams. Was just expanding on the content. That interception in Denver cost us the game. Game isn't over on the road in 3rd quarter. You have to keep scoring. Smith had no such mistakes in any of the games I listed other than Houston playoff win.

20. NBP81

No we lost the game because the D allowed 39 points... Come on man... The Smith win against DEN their superbolw year, Denver scored 13 points... You just can't use records, there's way too many other variables to take into consideration...

Spiff, FinaticalFinfan and Liphinphan like this.
  21. FinfanInBuffalo

The pass went off Landry's hands. I think you meant to say that no KC receivers many any such mistakes in any of the games. Tannehill played his *** off in that game. The defense's inability to do anything was the reason the Dolphins lost that game. The Broncos scored on 6 of 8 drives (should have been 7 of 8 due to a missed FG). They had drives of 12, 11, 8, 13, 9, and 11 plays. Give me a break with the Tanneblaming.

Spiff, Vaark, FinaticalFinfan and 3 others like this.
  22. guerteltier

guerteltier Member

I also think this trade will have a huge effect on the QB-Draft-situation. Chiefs and Redskins have their QB.The Vikings have three potential starters, they´ll re-sign only two. Foles will - especially if he wins the Super Bowl - be included in another trade, too. Bortles will stay at Jacksonville. So there are two/three Candidates for three franchises - Cleveland, Denver and Arizona. Giants (Eli M.) and Jets (McCown) will pick a rookie-QB behind their veteran, Denver will go for Cousins amd Cleveland will trade with Philly for Foles. So Arizona has to trade in favor to get the pick in front of the Phins if they are not interested in Bradford (who I wouldn´t resign if i were the Vikings). Hopefully, the Raiders trade down with Arizona, so Miami has the chance to draft Roquan Smith or Marcus Davenport. Then the Phins can get their BU-QB later ^^

23. TheWozz

TheWozz FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

He should have willed us to victory.

I'm in Denver and, unsurpringly, have lots of friends that are Broncos fans. Many thought I was crazy for calling Tannehill a legit QB to build around i.e franchise QB. Of course, most of them had never really seen him play. After that game, most of them were grudging fans of Tannehill.

Vaark and fin415 like this.
  24. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

Are we really clamoring for Kirk Cousins on here? How many wasted years would that amount too? We need to give Gase and Ryan another year. I don’t even want to draft one of these QB’s either.

I am not a Cousins fan and do believe the skins upgraded. I’d take Alex Smith over Cousins. Can anyone picture Cousins beating the Patriots? I can’t!

25. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

Alex Smith's ceiling to date has actually been losing in overtime in the NFCCG.

Pretty sure that when the 49ers beat the Saints in the divisional round in 2011, and Smith was responsible for four touchdowns, including a game winning TD pass with 14 seconds to play, he proved that his ceiling is higher than a first round playoff exit.

I don't mean to turn this thread into a debate on the merits of Alex Smith as a playoff quarterback, but I think perhaps Andy Reid shares more blame for Kansas City's playoff collapses than any one player on his football team.

Locke, NBP81 and Fins1971 like this.
  26. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

Because they had a much more difficult schedule. But you already know this lol.

27. FinfanInBuffalo

No fair getting off the #QBwinz position just because it is a QB other than Tannehill.....

"Can't beat the good teams" is one of the sticks you beat Tannehill with.

28. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

Not just wrong but BAD. Absolute garbage of a post.

Kansas City made it perfectly clear that Alex Smith can't win, with a loaded roster. If your keeping score, that's 2 franchises that pushed Smith out the door.

Go support Washington and their talent-less roster.

The Cleveland Browns will have more wins than the Washington Redskins in 2018.

29. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

I'll take that bet. How much?

Alex Smith doesn't play defense.

30. NBP81

KC will regret that trade IMO... In today's NFL, when you have that QB situation, you leave it alone...

31. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

Ryan Tannehill beat the Patriots in 2013, 2014 and 2015.

I am curious to know how many QB's have played Tom Brady at least times and have a better winning % than RT's .333. 3-6 never looked so good.

Tannehill has played some good games against New England and was robbed of the opportunity of taking 4 straight against NE at home in 2016.

I am sure Bill Belichek would love to see Miami start over with a new QB.

Edit: Tannehill is actualy 3-5 (.375%) vs Tom Brady. Forgot Garapolo started the first game in 2016. That was a rough start for the whole team but Tannehill almost brought them all the way back in that game.

32. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

You move on from QB when you realize he can't get you to where you want to go.

Alex Smith never had an arm that scared a defense, he had to be pin point accurate. And to his credit at times he really was. Never consistently, never against elite teams and never in the playoffs. The dude has played like 11 seasons and doesn't have a signature win playing the bulk of his career on good teams.

San Fran went to the super bowl without him and only fell apart when they lost Kaepernick, not Smith.

33. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

Tannehill has played well against the Patriots at HOME. In Foxboro he hasn't been able to play a complete game. I just mark that up as a loss every year.

34. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

Beating the World Champs to open the season on the road isn't a signature win? Since the change to the format of champs starting the season on Thursday in 2004 the Champ has won every time except this year.

35. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

You say that like other teams in are in that boat with us. Are our standards so high that we don't realize a consistent split with NE is a plus?

Tannehill certainly hasn't had a complete game up there yet but he's been able to do some solid work in spurts. We had a 17-3 lead at halftime in 2013 and were only down 14-13 in 2014. Some outrageous offensive outbursts and costly turnover sank any chance we had of finishing those games. But we had a chance.

2015 was a massacre from the start.

After Jimmy Garapolo exploded in that first half in 2016, Tannehill damn near brought us back losing 31-24. I think we were down 21-0 early in the 2nd quarter.

Tannehill's had way to many INT's but as a team we weren't equipped to go in there expecting to win shootouts.

I am curious to know what our rushing output has been up there.

36. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

That same year, no other team scored more than 24 in Denver.

37. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

In the moment it might've seemed like a grand accomplishment, however the Chiefs offense peaked within weeks and stumbled to 5 or 6 straight losses while the Patriots didn't play well the entire first half of the season while they adjusted to a lot of new players.

If there is one staple of Andy Reid coached teams is that they always play well when he has two weeks to prepare. His teams overachieve early and fall flat in the playoffs.

Probably the greatest winning % all time on opening day and after a bye.

You give Ryan Tannehill a running production like Hunt produced week 1 I'd tell you Miami wins by at least 3 TD's. Instead he gets Lamar Miller's 9 carries for 15 yards.

38. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

39. Locke

Locke They looked like strong hands.

That’s a good call. I completely forgot about that season. That’s the anomaly to the rest of his career, though.

40. NBP81

Getting rid of a 104 rating 26td 5 INT capable QB is assuming serious risk in this league...

Fins1971 likes this.