What to do with Jake Long? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What to do with Jake Long?

if we can get an average guy in his place and some offensive or secondary talent with that extra cap im ok with letting him go BUT that is the only way

give him a good contract but not joe thomas type. thats just too much

i have a real real real big feeling that hes going to want some big big money!

Just can't imagine him taking that kind of money. At his best, he's been elite. Unfortunately, I don't think we've seen that for a while now since he's been banged up (shoulder, knee, etc) in the last couple years. I think at 27 he likely thinks he is or can get back to elite and demand that type of money.

If we want to keep him, we may franchise him one year to see his body comes around, but that rarely seems to happen in the NFL for linemen. No way I sign him long term elite LT money when we have such big needs at play making positions at WR, C, S, and TE.

How's C more of a play making position than a LT? Also, pretty sure that's one of the few positions on the team that I wouldn't worry about, Pouncey's been very solid

He deserves top tier money. Re-sign your own. Finding LT's are hard to do. Plus, remember he is playing hurt. He easily could have sat with his numerous injuries, but each and every week he suits up and plays hard.

I would do a deal with him. Tag Smith. Attempt to re-sign Hartline and Starks. Bush I would let play the market.

Jonathan Martin's natural position is left tackle...you would only need to draft a good right tackle to replace him.

I don't think you overpay if the guy isn't getting it done...it has to be evaluated. Good teams don't overpay their players, they let them walk.

You do not need an elite LT to win a superbowl, however, you made need a few of those playmaker guys you see on superbowl teams.

Why would we let him walk when we could have traded him for at least a second round pick? I don't think even Ireland is that dumb.

The people criticizing Long now are the same people who would attack the management for letting him go (remember Vonte?) in a successful team Long could be a hall of fame player. Will he demand big cash? Of course he should and the Dolphins will pay it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You keep him, why the hell would you create more holes? He is has not been as good as he was before but let's not create another hole. With Nolan Carrol's resurgence I can see Smith getting let go.

If he we do lose him to free agency do we get comp picks?

Jake Long is a cornerstone player that sacrifices heart and soul for his team. Sign him longterm.

His game is horrible this year. He gave up at least 1 sack (a bad one) and I dont know how many pressures yesterday. If he dosnt improve let him walk.

You keep him, why the hell would you create more holes? He is has not been as good as he was before but let's not create another hole. With Nolan Carrol's resurgence I can see Smith getting let go.

LOL.. WHAT!?!

You talk ablut not creating more holes by letting Long walk, but then go on to suggest letting Smith (tthe best player in our secodary) walk.

He's playing hurt.

I would tag him next year and play it by ear.

AS for losing Bush and Sean Smith, this isn't Madden. They want to keep the players they have and build through the draft. I would make sure to sign Reggie, Starks, Hartline and the majority of the young core players

His game is horrible this year. He gave up at least 1 sack (a bad one) and I dont know how many pressures yesterday. If he dosnt improve let him walk.

Horrible? :rolleyes2: Even when not playing his best he is still an elite LT

Back
Top Bottom