What was Mel Kiper Jr.'s grade for the Phins Draft?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DrewOldSchool, Apr 25, 2005.

1. DrewOldSchool

DrewOldSchool LeBatard, The Fat ******* of Miami.

ESPN Insider. I will not pay for this but if anyone is willing to share I was wondering what draft grade he gave the Phins? :confused:

2. Smithboy

Smithboy Starter

3. DrewOldSchool

DrewOldSchool LeBatard, The Fat ******* of Miami.

Thanks.

4. bisco614

bisco614 FinHeaven VIP

Yeah, B-. The picks he seemed to have a problem with are Crowder, because he sees him as a serious injury risk, and Alibi, who he called "average."

5. paskerbrandon

paskerbrandon .

Kiper is a deuche

6. Smithboy

Smithboy Starter

Miami Dolphins: B-
    Running back Ronnie Brown is a complete prospect and you also have to like the intensity and toughness end Matt Roth will bring to the table. The biggest question is whether linebacker Channing Crowder will remain healthy enough long enough to be an impact pro, but new Miami coach Nick Saban obviously had no questions about cornerback Travis Daniels, who played under Saban at LSU and solidified his standing with a good 40 time. Offensive tackle Anthony Alabi is an average player and defensive tackle Kevin Vickerson came on as a senior but still needs some work.

He loved Philly's, Baltimore's and the Cowboy's drafts the best.

Was overly harsh on a good # of teams. Gave the Jets & Pats a C grade and the Bills a C+.

7. Jimmy James

Jimmy James You sit on a throne of lies!

That's pretty much in line with my grade except that I like Alibi. That's why I'm at B and he's at B-. Maybe I have a future on TV. ;)

8. arsenal

arsenal Beastin'

the grades are so dumb, the teams with the most picks especially multiple first rounders usualy get the best grades, because at this point we love everyone, but once a demarcus ware flops or some ****, the cowboys look like gods with ware and spears... so really grades are ******ed... i mean travis daniels could become better than pacman jones, we dont know, no one should grad a draft till at LEAST the end of the next season

9. Smithboy

Smithboy Starter

Kiper has an encyclopedic knowledge of college players and where they may fall in the draft, but he's often wrong if you follow it through years down the road.

10. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins FinHeaven VIP

You are right. Grading a draft this early is very subjective. And, the number of picks a team gets should not factor. If we end up with 3-4 starters out of this draft, you would have to give Saban an A for this given the number of picks he had.

On paper, Dallas did do well, but you shouldn't dock a team's draft if they didn't have as many picks as another team. They should be graded on what they did with the picks they had going into the draft, imo.

11. thedayafter

thedayafter Pro Bowler

The real grades aren't posted for 2-3 years....

12. Jimmy James

Number of picks absolutely should be a part of all of this. It's all about what you did to improve your team. The number and position of the picks you have absolutely has something to do with that. For instance, when the Redskins managed to pick second and third and got Arrington and Samuels, they did have a great draft and earned their grade.

13. SCall13

SCall13 Finheaven QB

Let's wait about 4 years and see how this draft grades then. I could care less what Kiper says. All of us on this board can guess and speculate just as good as him. He just gets paid for it.

14. His Dudeness

His Dudeness Well-Known Member

crowder hasnt had a major injury since HS, and I'll take Houcks opinion on alibi over kipers any day.

15. Finsperfect72

Finsperfect72 Marino HOF 2005

All Kiper pretty much does is speculate, as does/did all of the 'experts' before the draft. No one really knows for sure what these guys can do until they get into training camp and into game situations. Yeah, they might have had stellar college careers but the college game is so much different than the pros. No news there. You really don't know what you've got until at least a year or two down the road. The draft can be somewhat of a crap shoot that doesn't pan out (Ryan Leaf) and sometimes you find gold nuggets much later than you expect (Marino).

16. Jimmy James

I hate all this "you can't grade the draft" talk. What do you folks think the point of the draft and the point of grades are?

You're perfectly fine with grading a 1st grader who is very much a work in progress on his abilities even though they change and an A in 1st grade can translate into anything in high school. Try to put a grade on a draft, and you get all wonky.

The draft is a test of skill. If it was impossible to figure out who was going to be good, the NFL could just randomly allot the players to the teams by drawing names out of a hat! It is entirely appropriate to grade it as soon as it is done and to continue grading it at whatever periods you care to do so.

17. Buffalo Sucks

Buffalo Sucks Ronnie: Find Jake. Follow Jake.

Grading drafts years after the fact remains the way to go.

Great piece on SI.com grading teams' cumulative drafts over the last 5 years, now that there's been sufficient time to make some sort of intelligent analysis.

Miami got a D. It's a Don Banks srticle, check it out.

18. infiltrateib

infiltrateib TV Doctor

Here:

Mel Kiper, circa 2001, grading San Diego's draft:

San Diego Chargers: I have no problem with the selection of running back LaDainian Tomlinson, after trading out of the No. 1 spot and moving down to No. 5. General manager John Butler hopes he can do for the Chargers as Thurman Thomas did for the Bills. I like Drew Brees going in the second round. He is competitive and has a Captain Comeback mentality. Playing in San Diego with better weather conditions could enhance his arm strength a bit. That was a question mark about him going into the draft. Tay Cody could be a backup defensive back. I thought linebacker Carlos Polk was overrated. Tackle Elliot Silvers is nothing special as a fifth-round pick. Zeke Moreno, who could be a backup linebacker, also has value as a deep snapper. Defensive back Robert Carswell played better as a junior than he did as a senior. Grade: C+

And the Seahawks? "Seattle Seahawks: I had an A+ for the Seahawks after the first day. They did the best of any team, led by the selection of receiver Koren Robinson."

Don't get me wrong, the guy is a guru and I have a lot of respect for him... but he can be wrong.