What was the Fins Plan B in Case Ricky Was Injured? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What was the Fins Plan B in Case Ricky Was Injured?

Slope

Practice Squad
Reaction score
With all of the anger being thrown towards Williams (justifiably) for walking out on his team, there is another question that needs to be asked.

What was the Dolphins' plan B?

I follow the Falcons, and I saw this last year. The Falcons offense was centered around Vick. Vick goes down in preseason. The Falcons had no plan B. The backups weren't able to do the things Vick could, and they had no alternative offensive game plan.

The result: the Falcons went 2-10 while Vick was out.

Right now, the Dolphins' staff seems totaly lost as to what to do, but why? Didn't the Dolphins make any plans prior to the year in case Ricky Williams broke his leg in a preseason game this year?

Oh! Oh! I know!

Plan B:

1) Run Minor up the middle 3 times!
2) Take minor off the field on a stretcher!
3) Punt! Profit?!?!:confused:

Al13 said:
qb and rb is different, IMO

The Falcons offense was built around Vick, the Dolphins offense was built around Williams.

The big difference is that running backs are more prone to injury than QBs. Most teams make contigency plans in case a player is hurt. As far as I can tell, the Dolphins pretty much went into the season counting on Willimas being there, and not getting injured.

What would they have done if RW went down ? Thats easy , the same thing they are doing now. Go with what they got and trade for someone if possible for the right price.

I thought all offseason that we weren't addressing depth at RB. I mean it was apparent the last two years late in the season that Ricky could get banged up and that would cost us. We were too reliant on one guy regardless of position. New England was one of the most injured teams in the league but they were able to use backups who could fill holes.

The Eagles game wasn't trully out of reach last season until Ricky got hurt. We were still in it up to that point. I mean there were other issues in that game but when Ricky hurt his shoulder, it was the final nail in the coffin. I have no problem with RB by committee and believe that it wouldn't have been a bad decision to draft high at RB. KC has Priest but they still drafted Larry Johnson in round 2 because of injury questions.

We need to put together a list of lessons learned from this and recognize in the future that planning helps eliminate those issues from occuring again.

They drafted Larry Johnson in round 1.

Priest was coming off of hip surgery that could have career ending. (Bo Jackson)

Big difference, and BTW he has done nothing with that team that could have used defense way more than a backup RB.

Travis Minor was a very good backup. He did average almost five yards a carry. I think that can translate into a very good starter as long as we run a balanced offense and the passing game has sucess.

Right now, Plan B is to stick with the RBs we have on our squad and even though there are numerous talks of us trying to go out and find a RB, I don't think we will get one who can come in and outplay Minor. Minor can get the job done. Remember that run vs Colts a few years back, I think in his Rookie Season. That was kick ***.

Just think back to 2002 and the R.Lucas disaster and you'd know that wannstedt isn't about the whole "plan B" thing.

First of all, QB is a much different position than running back, and no quarterback could be expected to do things that Vick could. Doug Johnson was their backup plan, but extremely poor play by the rest of the offense as well as Johnson showed that all backup plans can backfire. Not every team can have a backup capable of doing a stellar job, those guys woiuld be starters if they were guaranteed to play at a high level.

Back
Top Bottom