What was with the waving of White towels (flags)???) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What was with the waving of White towels (flags)???)

iDolFan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Ok, Waving flags is a sign of team spirit, and rallying behind your team, I get it. But why in the world were we waving White towels?!?!? Am I the only one who thinks that screams surrender? That's what you see in comedy movies of people giving up and surrendering. I'm real big on signs and symbols, and the scene of fans waving the white flag was just.....hmmmm dis hearting :foundout:

v3ne5s-1.gif

Ok, Waving flags is a sign of team spirit, and rallying behind your team, I get it. But why in the world were we waving White towels?!?!? Am I the only one who thinks that screams surrender? That's what you see in comedy movies of people giving up and surrendering. I'm real big on signs and symbols, and the scene of fans waving the white flag was just.....hmmmm dis hearting :foundout:

So when Penn State has a "White out" everyone is surrendering???

They actually say...

The wait is over,
Believe in NOW
with a big dolphin logo
sponsered by Miccosukee
2008 Playoffs

So when Penn State has a "White out" everyone is surrendering???

I've actually never had a chance to watch a Penn state game, however, wearing all white has nothing to do with waving a white flag.

they should change the color next year to orange or aqua

A silly gimick, but it got the crowd pumped. That's all that matters.

I've actually never had a chance to watch a Penn state game, however, wearing all white has nothing to do with waving a white flag.

they should change the color next year to orange or aqua

They actually wave white pom/poms. Arizona also gave out white towels on Saturday. I think you are looking to hard into your "sign and symbol fetish".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjU_1zOTq1k

cuz it looks f'in cool. i think you're the only one who thought "surrender"

Actually, if you look at old tapes of the Dolphins, specifically the Super Bowl victory against the Vikings, the Dolphin fans in the stands were waving white towels. It's nothing new. Perhaps the crowd was trying to channel the spirits of Langer, Keuchenberg, Little, Csonka, Morris, Griese, Buoniconti, Den Herder and Fernandez this past Sunday. We certainly could've used it.

Michael

They should have given us aqua and orange towels, that would be much cooler.

further adding.....

the Steelers have the terrible towel...
we're offering white playoff towels...

we need some sort of accessory assortment to liven up the crowd. Many of those Phin fans at the game are noobs, they have more many than most of us, and heard it was important. they all left in the late 2rd quarter..

actually they might have even been the diehards that left when pennington already had 4 picks in the 3rd quarter.. i didnt even watch it in the 4th...

The Florida Panthers were on TV and had a crazy amazing game at Montreal, one of the best teams and franchises in the NHL. We lost in a shootout 5-6

We shouldnt be so original, it would have been cool if they were aqua or orange.

its more famous in pittsburgh as the terrible towel, here's a wikipedia reference for you. note the part i highlighted below. it was a sight to see in the 70's in the orange bowl, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrible_Towel

Three years prior to the Towel's invention, fans of the undefeated Miami Dolphins would cheer the team by waving white handkerchiefs. However, the handkerchiefs were quickly deemed "too dainty" for football, and the tradition faded.[9]

But why in the world were we waving White towels?!?!? Am I the only one who thinks that screams surrender? :foundout:

You're right and it does mean surrender. Good catch on the symbolism. I have no desire to continue a cheesy ritual like they do in Western PA.

That being said; What does waiving a Yellow Towel mean??? Does it mean that way too many diuretics are being used? :D

Back
Top Bottom