What was with the waving of White towels (flags)???)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by iDolFan, Jan 5, 2009.

1. iDolFan

iDolFan A True Fan

Ok, Waving flags is a sign of team spirit, and rallying behind your team, I get it. But why in the world were we waving White towels?!?!? Am I the only one who thinks that screams surrender? That's what you see in comedy movies of people giving up and surrendering. I'm real big on signs and symbols, and the scene of fans waving the white flag was just.....hmmmm dis hearting :foundout:

2. Phin-O-mania

Phin-O-mania Banned by Super Modarators

3. Dolphins12thMan

Dolphins12thMan Tailgate Central (E12 Orange Camry Zone)

So when Penn State has a "White out" everyone is surrendering???

4. Dolphins12thMan

They actually say...

The wait is over,
    Believe in NOW
    with a big dolphin logo
    sponsered by Miccosukee
    2008 Playoffs

5. iDolFan

iDolFan A True Fan

I've actually never had a chance to watch a Penn state game, however, wearing all white has nothing to do with waving a white flag.

they should change the color next year to orange or aqua

6. CalFishman

CalFishman Starter

A silly gimick, but it got the crowd pumped. That's all that matters.

7. dolFAN27

dolFAN27 Colombian Fin Fan

Who cares.

8. Dolphins12thMan

They actually wave white pom/poms. Arizona also gave out white towels on Saturday. I think you are looking to hard into your "sign and symbol fetish".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjU_1zOTq1k

9. NJPHIN34

NJPHIN34 Seasoned Veteran

cuz it looks f'in cool. i think you're the only one who thought "surrender"

10. coalesce

coalesce Dolphin Fan since 1974

Actually, if you look at old tapes of the Dolphins, specifically the Super Bowl victory against the Vikings, the Dolphin fans in the stands were waving white towels. It's nothing new. Perhaps the crowd was trying to channel the spirits of Langer, Keuchenberg, Little, Csonka, Morris, Griese, Buoniconti, Den Herder and Fernandez this past Sunday. We certainly could've used it.

Michael

11. ADavieDolphin

ADavieDolphin StickyIckyRicky

They should have given us aqua and orange towels, that would be much cooler.

12. ADavieDolphin

ADavieDolphin StickyIckyRicky

further adding.....

the Steelers have the terrible towel...
    we're offering white playoff towels...

we need some sort of accessory assortment to liven up the crowd. Many of those Phin fans at the game are noobs, they have more many than most of us, and heard it was important. they all left in the late 2rd quarter..

actually they might have even been the diehards that left when pennington already had 4 picks in the 3rd quarter.. i didnt even watch it in the 4th...

The Florida Panthers were on TV and had a crazy amazing game at Montreal, one of the best teams and franchises in the NHL. We lost in a shootout 5-6

13. Dors156

Dors156 He's Backkkkk

We shouldnt be so original, it would have been cool if they were aqua or orange.

14. cmax13

cmax13 Love my kids, 420 and foosball

its more famous in pittsburgh as the terrible towel, here's a wikipedia reference for you. note the part i highlighted below. it was a sight to see in the 70's in the orange bowl, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrible_Towel

Three years prior to the Towel's invention, fans of the undefeated Miami Dolphins would cheer the team by waving white handkerchiefs. However, the handkerchiefs were quickly deemed "too dainty" for football, and the tradition faded.[9]

15. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

You're right and it does mean surrender. Good catch on the symbolism. I have no desire to continue a cheesy ritual like they do in Western PA.

That being said; What does waiving a Yellow Towel mean??? Does it mean that way too many diuretics are being used? :D

16. Lorenzo Rules

Lorenzo Rules A True Fan

what would be cool is if the team wore the dark color jersey for a change I am so sick of the all white every freaking game .

this team needs some new energy like a new tradition before or after games or at halftime.

one idea would be right before game time everybody rub jimmy johnsons Hair for good luck I would say Sparano but he doesnt have any hair.

17. fin-atic

fin-atic Are you a VIP? Finheaven VIP Donator

Back in the 70's the Dolphin fans were famous for waiving white handkerchiefs. I have no idea how it started but it is a fact. It was often called the "Horrible Hanky" as a pun on the "Terrible Towel" that Pittsburgh sported. The white hanky died in the 80's. This towel was being given out to every fan who walked into the gate, so I think they made the leap and waved it like the old days and like the Steelers. I don't think their was significance to the white except that it is cheaper to print on for a giveaway.

18. Adam First

Adam First Don't Hate Miami Finheaven VIP Donator

I loved the idea. They were definitely popular during the game.

19. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

As I am old enough I will tell you the reason. One of the many things i love about the Dolphins under Shula was the class the team had. The white towels used to be white hankies.

Back in the 70's it was considered a classy thing to do.

20. TakeOne

TakeOne Wade... to the Moon.

I remember a clip of one of the many videos posted in this forum, with Pennington on the field waving his white towel. I think it was the thank you video for the fans. It actually looked pretty cool.

21. Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton A True Fan

I am glad they gave them out. However, I used it to block my neck from the Sun.

22. ThunderDan13

ThunderDan13 Windy City Fin-Fan (ie. Lonely)

I was kinda annoyed. I hate when teams take other team's chants/staples.

The Steeler's have the terrible towels. I don't care if they didn't invent it, they mastered it. It's their thing and we shouldn't be using it.

This happens to with college teams holding up 4 fingers to signal the start of the fourth quarter. If I remember correctly, and I know I do, UM was the first to do this is in the 80's, now every team does it and it annoys me every time I see it.

23. das8929

das8929 Starter

I dunno, I kind of liked it. Just seeing it on TV and the stadium packed like that gave me a huge sense of pride

24. RUDEbyallMEANS

RUDEbyallMEANS Perennial All-Pro

I was just happy to see people at the stadium.

25. Phin-o-rama

Phin-o-rama FinHeaven VIP

26. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Donator

I know Montreal Canadiens fans do it all the time at Bell center...

27. hemidemon

hemidemon Starter

Why would you be annoyed? They ripped the idea off of us. The Dolphins were the first to wave a hankie in the air to cheer on the team. I was 7 in '72. The Orange Bowl was filled with white hankies all season. This went on for several years. The reason it's white is b/c that is what we wear at home White on white. It is a tradition started by Don Shula. He got it by playing for Paul Brown of the Cleveland Browns. Paul's team always wore white on white. Wearing white in Miami is to the Dolphins advantage. It reflects the heat. When Miami was dominating in the early 70s white was not a sign of surrender. It was a sign of power. It will be again soon.

28. elliott

elliott Sheffield Fin

I have to say, I find it pathetic that so many people (particularly on this thread) are ignorant of the history of their own team.

The white towels (hankies) hark back to the team of the early 70s (you remember guys, they were quite good and the OB was the loudest place in the land). I think its a perfect tribute to that team, and to be honest, I think it was meant (along with obviously being a great visual display) to show the team of 2009 that the fans believe in them.

I'm all for it.

29. enduro

enduro unknown quantity

back in day when we were in the playoffs everyyear this was common. you newbies don't remember when we were actually a good team. bring back snowflake in the pool at the endzone! go fins.

30. Kiick72

Kiick72 Starter

I know it's been a while, but I thought most everyone knew about the "horrible hanky". In the long run that's good in a way, 'cause it means there are a great many younger fans following this team.

31. JayMang

JayMang Scout Team

[​IMG]

Also, it worked pretty well for these guys.

32. Pompy

Pompy Starter

Too many young persons not knowing the legendary Dolphin history.....SAD!!!!

33. Pompy

Pompy Starter

Pittsburgh copied our idea...

34. JayMang

JayMang Scout Team

To be fair, those towels have raised millions of dollars for the Allegheny Valley School in Western Pennsylvania, which focuses on special-needs children.

35. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

Rick Weaver, the WIOD play by play guy, always took credit for the hanky waving tradition. And trust me, he would be furious when he didn't spot enough of them in action. Radios tuned to the game were all over the Orange Bowl in that era. Weaver's voice turned noticeably disgusted when he thought the fans were either deflated or too complacent to wave the white hankies during a key stretch of the game. Normally it was a celebratory move.

I was 13 years old in 1972, very tall for my age but still looking up at the forest of white hankies in everyone's outstretched hand. I remember trying to peek between the hankies when Miami had scored, the fight song was suddenly blaring, and I was straining to watch the players return to the sideline and be greeted by Shula and other coaches/players.

BTW, one of the few bright spots of last Sunday's game was both teams in white pants. Dark pants could not be more sloppy in the NFL.

36. ChuckKLINGBEIL

ChuckKLINGBEIL Hail Dolphins

it was (is) known as the HORRIBLE HANKY...

Dolphins were the first team to ever do it..

The Old Orange Bowl was the loudest stadium in the NFL!!!

37. DolphinsfanBarb

DolphinsfanBarb Scout Team

I have tons of those hankies, they used to give them out before dolphins games all the time..Rick Weaver, our old radio announcer, who has since passed, always used to tell us to wave those hankies in support..and we did!

38. Killer B's

Killer B's Buffalo-It's what's for dinner!

Did you shoot that video? It looks like it was shot pretty close to our seats.

It was funny that we were talking about the hankies during tailgating. Cool to get some one-of-a-kind memorabila for the game room.