What's a Special Teams Quality Control Coach????? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's a Special Teams Quality Control Coach?????

NYC#1finsfan

Active Roster
Reaction score
With the big deal being made that Rex Ryan hired the first female assistant coach, is she the special teams coach or not? I don't get her title.........

first step on the ladder. Carry the balls, watch some tape, fetch the coffee

Assistant to the assistant special temas coach, still an NFL coaching job though

With the big deal being made that Rex Ryan hired the first female assistant coach, is she the special teams coach or not? I don't get her title.........

All they do pretty much is to make sure you have the right people for the job.

A quality control coach is like a grad student in college. They are interns who will be mostly breaking down film and possibly running scout team drills.

He is more on what a quality control coach does.

Contemporary coaches are always searching for an edge over their opponents. Now that the Computer Age is upon us, the analyzing has become more technical. Many of those coaches have assistants called the "Quality Control Coach." However, the QCC doesn't really do much coaching at all. They spend all day multitasking, breaking down film up to five weeks in advance and analyzing data. They work all hours, in hotel lobbies, on airplanes and at their team's headquarters producing reports for their Head Coach. They do get to do some coaching though. The QC coaches often run the "Scout" team in practices. From their extensive film work and breaking down plays, the QCC can be a great help preparing their team because they know the tendencies of their opponents. They make sure the Scout teams give the starters an accurate look at what they'll face on Sunday in practice during game weeks.
http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/...ontrol-coach-denver-broncos-football-scouting

Don't take my definition as gospel, but I believe the title speaks well to the actual duties. I think quality control coaches, whether they are assigned to offense, defense, or special teams, serve to assist the coordinators in breaking down film, advance scouting opponents, and self scouting their area of expertise. I think the distinction is that quality control coaches don't directly work the players on individual technique or scheme.

So a special teams quality control coach might for example put together data on how often an opponent chooses a certain return scheme on punts inside the 20.

The fact that it's taken this long to hire a female assistant coach in any capacity is sad. So kudos to Rex. Though he still sucks as a head coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom