What's better than the 1972 perfect season - | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's better than the 1972 perfect season -

dolphans1

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I was doing some research and I thought about it for a long time and here are my thoughts on my above titled post.

I have always loved the running game, more than the passing game, I just always loved the blocking schemes and the pure athleticism of running down the field with a pig skin in your hand, and opposing players trailing behind, and winded, and scoring.

And, I have noticed this amazing stat, as I am sure most of you have, but that 1972 Miami Dolphins team actually had and rode a dual 1,000-yard rushing threat, with both Larry Csonka and Mercury Morris, which of course lead to the league's only perfect season, but I must also honestly ask, has any other team done that? And, if so, I can't find it.

And to think, they both did it in a 14 game season, to me, this is even more amazing and impressive than the 1972 perfect season.

To think, that even in today's game, not many backs can even gain a 1,000 yards (in 16 games), and for a team dominate the line of scrimmage like this, may help explain how a team can create a "perfect-season".

I just found this and added it on edit, I never knew this important stat, still only 6 teams (duos) did it, but it also happened in 2009? Under the radar, I never heard this.

The first 1,000-yard duo consisted of fullback Larry Csonka and halfback Mercury Morris. Csonka and Morris accomplished the feat as members of the Miami Dolphins during their 1972 season, when the team finished undefeated and won the Super Bowl. Morris finished with an even 1,000 yards; he had initially been credited with only 991 yards after the end of the regular season, due to a statician's error that incorrectly removed nine yards from his total.

The second 1,000-yard tandem occurred four years later in 1976, when fullback Franco Harris and halfback Rocky Bleier both surpassed 1,000 yards playing for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The 3rd - Fullback Kevin Mack and halfback Earnest Byner became the third 1,000-yard duo, accomplishing the feat during the 1985 Cleveland Browns season.

The 4th - Back in 2006, halfback Warrick Dunn and quarterback Michael Vick became the fourth duo with 1,000 rushing yards in the same season. Vick also became the first quarterback to rush for over 1,000 yards in a single season, while Dunn's 1,140 yards are the most by any player in a 1,000-yard duo.

The 5th - Brandon Jacobs and Derrick Ward of the New York Giants were the fifth duo to accomplish the feat, doing so in 2008.

The 6th - was DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart of the Carolina Panthers are the most recent players to have accomplished the feat, having done so in 2009. In addition to being the sixth 1,000-yard backfield tandem, the two are also the only 1,100-yard rushing duo.

Last edited by a moderator:
My post lost its thunder, I never knew it had been done 6X, so please disregard the main post.

I thought I was onto something.

We're lead to believe if you can run the ball, you're going to win a lot of games.

I meant with 2 chicks.

That's great, I know a lot of passing records have been broken, but with a 16 game season, you would think running the ball record would be an easier record to break.

I know most NFL games are rigged, because of ratings and so on (by the refs - league), especially, when teams are banned from talking in the cafeteria, playing jokes and texting funny stuff.

It's all about Vegas....

That's great, I know a lot of passing records have been broken, but with a 16 game season, you would think running the ball record would be an easier record to break.

I know most NFL games are rigged, because of ratings and so on (by the refs - league), especially, when teams are banned from talking in the cafeteria, playing jokes and texting funny stuff.

It's all about Vegas....

If the game has been changed to reward passing the ball and change to make QBs lives easier, wouldnt you think a pass happy league would make it harder to break rushing records? Teams are running the ball far less then they used to. And teams are passing way more. I dont think Many rushing records wil be broken with the way the league is heading. Even teams with great RB pass more then they run. Outside of maybe the Vikings, what team relies on their HB to carry most of the offensive burden?

If the game has been changed to reward passing the ball and change to make QBs lives easier, wouldnt you think a pass happy league would make it harder to break rushing records? Teams are running the ball far less then they used to. And teams are passing way more. I dont think Many rushing records wil be broken with the way the league is heading. Even teams with great RB pass more then they run. Outside of maybe the Vikings, what team relies on their HB to carry most of the offensive burden?

If you run the ball , you can control the clock, and if you can't stop it (the run) you're probably going to win a lot of games.

The Dolphins in the 70's would march right down the field, running the ball and would always score, most typically on their very first possession. I don't see this much today.

If you run the ball , you can control the clock, and if you can't stop it (the run) you're probably going to win a lot of games.

The Dolphins in the 70's would march right down the field, running the ball and would always score, most typically on their very first possession. I don't see this much today.

I realize that. And this isnt the 70s anymore dude. Its 2013-2014 and the game has greatly changed since then. Teams have and will continue to be more pass dominant. And sadly, it will probably never change from that. Most teams have adjusted and gotten with the program. Including the Dolphins which i am happy about. Its a completly different game now. Its just the way it is.

What was the average combined score per game back then? Would be curious to compare...

Jim Kiick also had over 500 yards that season. As a team, they were 40 yards short of 3000 rushing yards that season, pretty damn impressive for 14 games. I think the pats hold the all time record, 16 game season in '78.

My dad got season tickets for the family beginning in 1972. One of the few downers of that season was the second half of the Colts game, the season finale in the Orange Bowl. Everybody knew that Morris was closing in on 1000 yards, and that no team had managed two backs to do it within the same season.

We kept feeding Morris the ball in the 4th quarter, mostly on sweeps. Baltimore had an awful season but they maintained some talent and pride. They got penetration and stopped one sweep after another. There were portable radios all over the stadium in those days. You could hear Rick Weaver becoming increasingly concerned as it looked doubtful Morris would get there.

When the game ended, despite completing an unbeaten regular season, it was very quiet and subdued filing out of the Orange Bowl. Felt like failure, and a bit of shock. Our offensive line had been dominant all season until the second half of that Colts game.

A few days later the NFL announced that they found the missing 9 yards for Morris, elevating to exactly 1000. The sports media launched into widespread ridicule, and it carried over to the mainstream talk shows. People were discovering the missing everything. There was one wag comment after another. If a back gained 383 yards that season, people were finding the additional 617.

It was actually legitimate. I remember the play in question, against the Bills. Morrall threw a swing pass to the left that was headed forward but swatted by a defensive lineman. He hit it so quickly after it left Morrall's hand that it was immediately ruled a lateral. Morris sharply retreated and fell on the ball. He was credited with a 9 yard loss on a rush. There was booing and abuse in the Orange Bowl when fans realized the play had improperly been ruled a lateral. We never threw laterals on plays like that. Only when the NFL finally reviewed the tape months later was it correctly changed to an incomplete pass, and Morris' 9 yard loss eliminated.

I believe the NFL has turned into a passing league because of the lack of being able to build depth on both sides of the ball. The Dolphins had a number 1 offense and number ranked defense.

I had totally forgotten that a QB rushed for 1,000 yards.

In 1973 - The Dolphins Larry Csonka rushed for 1003 and Morris rushed for 954 yards and they won the Super Bowl a 2nd time, the last time we would win it to date.

Back
Top Bottom