What's chirping: Does Anthony Fasano have a future in Miami? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's chirping: Does Anthony Fasano have a future in Miami?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
580x419-1.jpg
Is tight end Anthony Fasano still a starter in the NFL? (Sun-Sentinel / June 4, 2012)

Why is Mike Wallace viewed as the top free agent receiver on the market? Is re-signing Brian Hartline a priority for the Miami Dolphins, and what is tight end Anthony Fasano's future in the NFL.
Those are the issues we'll tackle in today's installment of "What's Chirping," where I expound on Dolphins related questions for twitter.
RT @MooreALJMoore: I see Anthony Fasano putting up good numbers if he goes to a team like the Atlanta Falcons » Fasano's still a good tight end. He's just more of an H-back, red zone threat than seam threat option.
MY TAKE: Re-signing Fasano to serve as the starting H-back, Miami's second tight end, should be a priority considering he's scored 23 touchdowns the past five seasons. That's my opinion based on how he played the H-back position in the final month of the year, once Charles Clay was sidelined by his knee injury. Fasano's protection was amazing, and it kept Ryan Tannehill's pocket clean. And he was a better option coming out the backfield as a receiver than he was working off the line of scrimmage.
It is clear to everyone that Fasano, who will turn 29 in April, has lost some speed, which hinders his ability to create separation from linebackers. However, he's still one of the NFL's best in-line blocking tight ends, and that has value. Because of that skill Fasano will probably have a role in the NFL for the next four to five seasons.
Pair him with a legit seam threat like Dustin Keller and that unit could blossom just like Fasano did when he played alongside David Martin, setting franchise records for the position in 2008. Keep in mind that Fasano was the H-back in that relationship.
That's why I say re-signing Fasano should be a priority for the Dolphins, but he'd need to make half of the $2.9 million he earned annually the past three seasons. But I expect he'll sign elsewhere if some team, like the Falcons, call on him to remain a starter.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...sweblog+(Miami+Dolphins+|+Sun-Sentinel+Blogs)

The most underrated player in the NFL (at least by his own fanbase) bloody hope he stays, as a blocking tight end and a red zone threat he is great and doesn't cost a lot of money. Give him a pass catching partner and we have a great pair of tight ends.

hopefully he does. He needs an athletic compliment to really be used to his potential like we had in David Martin, but based on what Sherman wants in a TE and how he was used at times, I kind of think he may not be back

Fasano is a beast when he can actually go out for a pass. His pass-blocking is great and is the only Redzone threat we have. I would welcome him back as long as its for a team friendly. There will be a few options we could explore such as Cook, Keller, and maybe Finley?, but will be more expensive. Re-signing Fasano and drafting Ertz in the 2nd round would be awesome. Both are good blockers, good Redzone threats, and would cost less. Ertz is also a seam threat the team lacks.

yes as insurance we cannot sign Fred Davis, Jared Cook, Jermichael Finley, or Dustin Keller. Or draft Eifert or Ertz

I've been a huge Fasano fan and think he doesn't get the credit he deserves. The guy is one of the best run blocking tight ends in the NFL, coupled with the fact he didn't drop a single ball last season. He's a pretty useful red-zone weapon too. I think if he can pick up an athletic guy that can run the seam like Keller, Cook Jr or Finley; Fasano'd be an excellent compliment.

Give me Finley and Fasano and ill be ecstatic. But I wouldn't mind Finley and Clay. I just don't want Fasano to be our #1 TE

I don't think it is a secret round these parts how much of a Fasano homer I am. This is a guy you need to retain on your football team, even if the price is 2 to 3m a year.

Fasano does everything well, he just doesn't scare defenses. If you gave him Mastrud's role, and got a guy with speed (the guy Egnew was supposed to be) and if he signed a team friendly contract...we'd be crazy not to try and retain him. A less dynamic Heath Miller.

Meh, Charles Clay is the better H-back than Fasano, plus Clay has some ability to be somewhat of a seam threat as well. You can keep a Kevin Miller or draft a young blocking TE late in the draft. Get us Dustin Keller and Egnew can be strictly a red zone target receiving TE in a 4 man rotation. I don't want Fasano back. He's a waste of cao space imo.

Back
Top Bottom