Whats going on with the Bills?

Discussion in 'Beasts of the AFC East' started by AphexPhin, Jul 10, 2013.

1. AphexPhin

AphexPhin A True Fan

I haven't seen what they've done this offseason or in the draft for that matter.

Can anyone fill me in? I take it they are in rebuilding mode.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

I think if the Bills get decent QB play they can beat you guys out for 2nd place. They need to ride CJ Spiller who is the most dynamic weapon in the division.

3. hoshal13

hoshal13 Member

Can't wait to see the Fins Bills game in December. I'll be there!

4. NYCBillsFan

NYCBillsFan vvv The Scariest Buffalo Bill

It looks as if they are rebuilding, AGAIN.....

By position:

QB - Kolb looks to have the edge as of now, but the race is wide open. If EJ Manuel starts the year, expect some learning curve mistakes as the kinks in his game are ironed out.

WR - There's SJ13 and then a muddled group that has the potential to work well, but with the lack of veteran leadership at QB, I don't expect too much from the WR underlings.

RB - Solid. Should be the main focus of the Offense.

TE - See WR.

OL - Levitre left and it should weaken the unit, but they should be decent in 2013. Picking up Legursky was a good depth move.

DL - Who knows? A lot had high expectations last year, only to watch the unit start out the season flat on their face. Dareus was facing some huge family issues last year, so we'll see how his season pans out. They finished better than they started, but they couldn't finish much worse from where they started.

LB - Should be improved, but easily the worst unit on the entier Bills roster last year, so that's not saying much.

CB - This could be the weak spot this season. When Leodis McKelvin has the chance of nailing down a #2 CB spot, you know you need help.

SS/FS - They may not be all that bad here, even if Byrd holds out or is traded away. However, bringing guys from the CB position to play Safety does nothing for your CB depth.

ST/K - The only real news is that Rian Lindell may have serious competition in TC.

GM - Doug Whaley steps in as new GM after serving as Assistant GM with the Bills. Comes from Steelers pedigree, so I'd expect the years to come to take on more of that philosophy.

HC - Doug Marrone is the new HC after going 25-25 @ Syracuse the last four seasons. Was OC under Sean Payton in NO, but who knows if that'll translate into success. So far, he is talking the talk, but we'll see if his in game play calling and clock management are up to NFL HC standards.

Owner - Ralph Wilson is really getting up there in age. Russ Brandon has taken over in terms of making all the decisions that Ralph normally makes. Huge shift at the top, but should take a few years to see results.

It's kind of a cliff notes version, but that's pretty much the Bills offseason heading into TC, IMO.

Optimist viewpoint: 11-5
    Pessimist viewpoint: 2-14
    Realist viewpoint: 7-9

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2013
  5. MAYHEM

MAYHEM Like me

They picked up Nikkel Roby from USC a cornerback who got a pick six on Andrew Luck in Lucks senior year.
    My son was a sophomore on the same high school team as Robey when Robey was a senior.
    If anyone hears how Robey is doing I would love to hear it.

6. NYCBillsFan

Here's a write up about the CB's from June 25th

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Bills-like-cornerback-depth/d1846982-850d-4c54-987a-2dd56908e1fb

7. MAYHEM

MAYHEM Like me

NYCBillsFan likes this.
  8. NYCBillsFan

TB? JAX? Just kidding. Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye on him.

9. AphexPhin

AphexPhin A True Fan

Thanks for the write up NYCBillsFan. I totally forgot you guys have Kolb now.

10. NYCBillsFan

Yeah, a lateral move from Fitzpatrick, who's now in Tennessee. Kolb/Fitz are decent stop gaps, but nothing to hinge success on.

11. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

Uuummm..........the Bills D-line on paper is nasty and shouldn't be taken lightly. If everyone is healthy and playing as expected that D-line is one of the best in the league.

12. NYCBillsFan

Not a bad showing for EJ Manuel in his first pro-start. He started shaky, but led an impressive 2 minute drill that resulted in a TD at the end of the first half.

I know, it's pre-season, just keep you guys and gals updated if you're interested....

13. AphexPhin

AphexPhin A True Fan

Yeah dude, Manuel looked pretty darn good. If Kolb keeps slipping on mats I think Manuel will have the starter job wrapped up.:lol:

14. PATS16N0

PATS16N0 Active Member

The Bills built their defensive line to follow the Giants formula for beating the Patriots. If their pass rush plays up to speed, they're going to crush on the Jets something hard and will be coming for a wildcard spot
    They don't have a gravy schedule though, and they're the Bills, who like to make everybody believe they might be on the upswing, then suck horribly.

15. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

Manual looked good on the 2 minute drive; however, only one pass was longer then 10 yards and that was the TD, which was a really nice throw. I saw some things I expected early and that's difficulty going through progressions. The Bills kept the calls pretty simple to get him in a rhythm which he did at the end of the half.

Marquis Wheaton looked damn good. He returned less then 20 KOs in college and on his first or second attempt broke it for 107. He wasn't even close to being touched.

Two other kids that stood out to me were Kiko Alonso and Ron Brooks. Brooks committed a really stupid penalty early but recovered from it with some nice coverage and hits. Alonso was impressive in both coverage and against the run. Bills are putting together a nice defense. If they get good QB play to go with Spiller, they could have a pretty decent season.

16. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Agree with you MD88, except it was Marquise Goodwin who returned the kicks. The Bills defense looks savage. They totally stuffed the run, got pass pressure consistently and Kiko Alonso is already showing why he is one of the elite players in the last draft.

Manuel was very decent. All in all, we and the Bills are now VERY similar teams. Very tough defenses, young QBs and a committee offense with a balance of speed and technique. Both teams playing 4-3, ZBS and WCO variants. There's really not much between us. Their receivers probably flattered to deceive as Indy's D was shocking.

Indy didn't look very frightening in that outing, Luck was very carefree with the ball too i thought. But they have so many weapons you have to figure they'll find their way to the endzone on enough drives to trouble most teams.

17. MadDog 88

Goodwin yes. That young man has danger for us written all over him. Granted it was one game but he returned 2 kicks breaking the one and damn near broke the other one.

18. NYCBillsFan

What impressed me was watching EJ's confidence build throughout the game. I believe that Marrone said that the play calls were intentionally less than 15 yards by design. In TC, EJ has shown to connect on the long ball, and I believe that Marrone wanted to work on the short game. What I liked most about the game was the pace of the offense, and the ability to execute at that pace. Sure, it's preseason and it was against a Colts team that doesn't have incredible depth, but they still executed. I don't want to get too pumped though. I still remember Trent Edwards starting 4-0 after a great preseason, only to watch the Bills fizzle yet again.

19. Deep2Evans

Deep2Evans LETS GO BUFFALO!

I liked what I saw from Manuel in the first preseason game. Smart, and a little conservative, but used his legs as well.

I think they'll open up the passing game a bit more this Friday against Minnesota, plus the WR battle is so good, they'll want to get those guys looks too.

20. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i don't know what bills fans are so excited about...other than goodwin as a kick returner...ej manuel didn't do anything really...robert woods looked good...

21. Deep2Evans

You obviously haven't paid attention to the Bills very closely, specifically at QB over the last 10 years, including this preseason.

That's expected though, as you're not a Bills fan.

It's ok.

22. Phindog

Phindog A True Fan

23. NYCBillsFan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000234190/article/buffalo-bills-acquire-thaddeus-lewis-from-detroit-lions

Seems Doug Whaley has been busy today......

24. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

apparantly the bills are concerned kolbs cocussion could be career ending, damn thats tough! Hope hes ok, hate to see anyone get a bad injury

25. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

Looks like the bills should have just stuck with fitzpatrick

26. AphexPhin

AphexPhin A True Fan

We better sweep these losers

27. NYCBillsFan

If Leinart doesn't win a spot, the Bills could start the season with Manuel (0 NFL starts), Tuel (0 NFL starts), and Lewis (1 NFL starts).

Has there ever been a less experienced group of QB's to start a season?

28. MadDog 88

Not that I can recall in my life. If Manual doesn't have at least a decent season, it's going to be another long one.

29. Deep2Evans

Dumbest post on here I've seen in some time.

30. Phindog

Phindog A True Fan

31. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Jeff Tuel was just announced as the week 1 starter. Good luck with that.

32. mrhankey81701

mrhankey81701 A True Fan

Has a udfa rookie ever started for a team week one at quarterback?

33. NYCBillsFan

Are you sure about that? I thought Marrone was preparing as that is the case, but there is still a chance it's EJ.....

34. Phindog

Phindog A True Fan

I'm one of the few that likes E.J.Manuel,the Bills are going no where this year.They will win 2-3 less games than the Phins.

35. Nublar7

ESPN and NFL.com said he was announced as the starter, maybe they are wrong. Even if it is just the plan right now, it is a pretty bad plan.

36. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp.../buffalo-bills-plan-start-jeff-tuel-qb-week-1

Such a Bills move.

37. AphexPhin

AphexPhin A True Fan

WOW lol

38. Phindog

Phindog A True Fan

Also rumored that E.J.Manuel is projected to not start until as late as week 6,others say it is more than likely week 3 at NY Jets or week 4 at home vs Baltimore.

Bills first 2 games are at home which undoubtedly the games Jeff Tuel will start.

39. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

Man...the Bills may have a worse QB situation than the Jets.

40. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

I've seen a couple of people suggest cutting Matt Moore to make Pat Devlin the #2 QB.

I can promise you that Matt Moore would be starting for Buffalo within two days with their current QB situation.

41. Phindog

Phindog A True Fan

42. NYCBillsFan

Here's an update for Nublar........

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000234201/article/ej-manuel-on-track-for-week-1-kolbs-career-in-doubt

43. Nublar7

44. MadDog 88

Yes the Bills QB situation is worse then the Jets. As bad as Sanchez is he is still better then Manual simply because he has won in the NFL. Sanchez' issue is not a lack of talent it is a mental one and I am not sure if he can ever recover from it. His story is a lot like David Carr's. Manual is unproven.

UPDATE: Jets beat writers are reporting Sanchez may very well not be ready for week 1. If so, flip a coin who has the worse situation.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2013
  45. Nublar7

Tough choice who has it worse, but I will say Buffalo if they are indeed forced to start Jeff Tuel week 1. Geno Smith and Tuel are not good quarterbacks right now, but I think Smith at least has more upside. If Tuel was on any other NFL roster he probably would be among Saturday's cuts. He is a practice squad quarterback, not a NFL starter.

46. Deep2Evans

He basically said they are preparing as if Tuel will start, because they are not sure if Manuel will be ready or not.

Marrone said yesterday Manuel needs to be back to practice by Wednesday (Sept. 4th) to be able to start Week 1 vs. New England.

It's a wait and see game until then.

47. hoops

hoops exited stage left

yeah you have had crap qbs the whole time...guess what looks to me like you still do...better change up that o to more read option and pistol before having that kid make quick reads and sound decisions with the football goes belly up on you...

you guys are asking for it running that o...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2013
  48. Adam First

Adam First Don't Hate Miami Finheaven VIP Donator

49. Jared

Jared Active Member

50. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Overly sensitive, persecution complexes, etc.

Personally, I just don't think the writing is very funny, but I'm not going to get offended about it. We're a perennial 7-9 football team right now.