What's Mark Sanchez's Present Market Value? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's Mark Sanchez's Present Market Value?

What Is Mark Sanchez's Present Market Value?

• Total voters

Vaark

The Intra-Dimensional Felinians R Coming 2 Save Us
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
His last 4 games he's been 1-3, with about a 45% completion record (worst since the Ravens starting QB in '99 over 4 straight games), and has the worst first 5 game completion percentage since the great JaMarcus Russell. Given that he's also undeniably had some good games and some competent ones where essentially he stayed out of his offense's way, the question arises:

How much market value can the jets command for this former 5th pick in the here & now?

1st Round Pick or more - acquired to be preemptive starter on some other teams (name teams)

2nd Round Pick - Disappointing but has shown enough to compete for starter job elsewhere (name teams)

3rd Round Pick - Disappointing but maybe salvageable for spot duty and downroad through patience and better coaching

4th Round Pick - What the hell, you never know, right?

5th Round Pick - He'd make a potentially reliable back-up if he can get his head screwed on straight!

6th - 7th Round Pick - Well, he's better than Curtis Painter who's still got a job, right?

Worthless: Between sensitive temperment, sub-standard skill set and poor development he's too far gone to justify the time to correct

Last edited by a moderator:
I wondered about the disrespect for Ponder.

I would say 2 if he got out of new york with less media attention and competent coaching be could do ok. However I wouldnt give more than a 3 for him, damaged goods.

Lets see what previous Qb's have gone for.

Kevin Kolb 2nd rounder + Rogers Cromartie
Matt Schaub 2x 2nd rounders
Carson Palmer 1st plus conditional 2nd.
Dante Cullpepper 2nd
Jason Campbell 4th
Matt Cassell 2nd
Obviously the price for Palmer was sheer lunacy that only the Raiders would be stupid enough to do.
Schaub, Cassell and Kolb were relatively unproven backups.
Culpepper and Campbell were coming off bad injuries.

Based on that and despite our misgivings towards Sanchez you think he would at least command a 2nd rounder.
Like it or not he was a 4 year starter and had taken his team to the playoffs.
He is also 25 so only one year older than Tannehill.

Possible targets?
LA expansion franchise(if it happens soon)
KC- though I doubt they will want to invest in another backup.
Seattle- If Wilson and Flynn ultimately fail. In light of
Oakland

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

I also believe that Sanchez needs to get out of NY as soon as possible and find himself a smaller market team.

I said 4th, but a team could probably be strong-armed into a 3rd, and maybe even a 2nd if desperate enough. QB values are much higher than other positions, so despite a subpar performance in his career so far, I think some team would look at his youth and a few of the times he has flashed and figure with better coaching, maybe they can help him follow Alex Smith's career trajectory. I don't see a team that needs a QB and has that staff in place though. Seattle might be the most likely landing spot, considering the Pete Carrol connection...

Lets see what previous Qb's have gone for.

Kevin Kolb 2nd rounder + Rogers Cromartie
Matt Schaub 2x 2nd rounders
Carson Palmer 1st plus conditional 2nd.
Dante Cullpepper 2nd
Jason Campbell 4th
Matt Cassell 2nd
Obviously the price for Palmer was sheer lunacy that only the Raiders would be stupid enough to do.
Schaub, Cassell and Kolb were relatively unproven backups.
Culpepper and Campbell were coming off bad injuries.

Based on that and despite our misgivings towards Sanchez you think he would at least command a 2nd rounder.
Like it or not he was a 4 year starter and had taken his team to the playoffs.
He is also 25 so only one year older than Tannehill.

Possible targets?
LA expansion franchise(if it happens soon)
KC- though I doubt they will want to invest in another backup.
Seattle- If Wilson and Flynn ultimately fail. In light of
Oakland

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

I also believe that Sanchez needs to get out of NY as soon as possible and find himself a smaller market team.

this. After seeing my team waste a pick on aj feely I could never see giving more than a 5th rounder for Sanchez. He has regressed and is near the bottom of every major statistic this season. The only thing good he has going is that he is young and coachable.

Why would any team want Sanchez unless they are sure that the Jets have totally screwed up his coaching or have him in the wrong system? It would be different if he had periods of consistent success but he has been bad poor more often than good. Perhaps a reclamation project like Carson Palmer or an injury risk like Brees. You don't bring in Sanchez planning for him to compete for a starting job, therefore you don't give up more than a 5th round pick.

There is not a single starter in the NFL who was previously a 4 year failure on another team.

Gotta look at past trades to establish value, and exclude any fluke trades(basically anything the Raiders have done).

Hes not as "blockbuster" as Kevin Kolb or Daunte Culpepper. Kolb was a relative unknown who had potential and Culpepper was a former high performing starter.
Hes not as bust as, say, Trent Green was for us, who we spent a conditional 5th on. Or even a Shaun Hill type situation who went for a 7th.

Steve McNair went for a 4th and id say that sounds about right. Though id have a hard time seeing anyone spend a 4th on a fourth year vet who hasnt lived up to expectations.

[video=youtube;jsVRj7VvfWc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsVRj7VvfWc[/video]

5th. Matt Moore has more trade value then Sanchez.

5th. Matt Moore has more trade value then Sanchez.

Ted, I would agree except for the perception (misplaced I think) that Sanchez has more upside than Moore.. although Moore would presently make any team a better one that Sanchez. Even though I started the poll, I'm still twixt and tween between "4th" and "5th" round value .. cause actually I'd be pissed if Moore, who an argument can be made that he's presently the 3rd best QB in the division, goes for anything less than a 4th.

So although as the 6th round option I meant "Painter" (whom the jest are so proud of beating in the second half of game 15 in 09), I will continue to "ponder" this myself. :up:

His ridiculous contract makes him borderline untradeable. It's not just giving up the pick, it's taking on all that salary. No way.

Back
Top Bottom