What's Mark Sanchez's Present Market Value?

Discussion in 'Beasts of the AFC East' started by Vaark, Oct 10, 2012.

?

What Is Mark Sanchez's Present Market Value?

1. 1st Round Pick or more - acquired to be preemptive starter on some other teams (name teams)

1.6%
  2. 2nd Round Pick - Disappointing but has shown enough

3.3%
  3. 3rd Round Pick - Disappointing but maybe salvageable

6.5%
  4. 4th Round Pick - What the hell, you never know, right?

15.4%
  5. 5th Round Pick - He'd make a potentially reliable back-up

30.9%
  6. 6th - 7th Round Pick - Well, he's better than Painter who's still got a job, right?

18.7%
  7. Worthless: Too far gone to justify the time to fix

23.6%
  1. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

His last 4 games he's been 1-3, with about a 45% completion record (worst since the Ravens starting QB in '99 over 4 straight games), and has the worst first 5 game completion percentage since the great JaMarcus Russell. Given that he's also undeniably had some good games and some competent ones where essentially he stayed out of his offense's way, the question arises:

How much market value can the jets command for this former 5th pick in the here & now?

1st Round Pick or more - acquired to be preemptive starter on some other teams (name teams)

2nd Round Pick - Disappointing but has shown enough to compete for starter job elsewhere (name teams)

3rd Round Pick - Disappointing but maybe salvageable for spot duty and downroad through patience and better coaching

4th Round Pick - What the hell, you never know, right?

5th Round Pick - He'd make a potentially reliable back-up if he can get his head screwed on straight!

6th - 7th Round Pick - Well, he's better than Curtis Painter who's still got a job, right?

Worthless: Between sensitive temperment, sub-standard skill set and poor development he's too far gone to justify the time to correct

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
  2. HarryBagpipe

HarryBagpipe Archibald Meatpants Super Donator Donator

Ponders better

3. Vaark

oh ****, i meant "curtis painter".... brainfart.. MODs please change, TIA

4. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

I wondered about the disrespect for Ponder.

I would say 2 if he got out of new york with less media attention and competent coaching be could do ok. However I wouldnt give more than a 3 for him, damaged goods.

5. trojanma

trojanma FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Lets see what previous Qb's have gone for.

Kevin Kolb 2nd rounder + Rogers Cromartie
    Matt Schaub 2x 2nd rounders
    Carson Palmer 1st plus conditional 2nd.
    Dante Cullpepper 2nd
    Jason Campbell 4th
    Matt Cassell 2nd
    Obviously the price for Palmer was sheer lunacy that only the Raiders would be stupid enough to do.
    Schaub, Cassell and Kolb were relatively unproven backups.
    Culpepper and Campbell were coming off bad injuries.

Based on that and despite our misgivings towards Sanchez you think he would at least command a 2nd rounder.
    Like it or not he was a 4 year starter and had taken his team to the playoffs.
    He is also 25 so only one year older than Tannehill.

Possible targets?
    LA expansion franchise(if it happens soon)
    KC- though I doubt they will want to invest in another backup.
    Seattle- If Wilson and Flynn ultimately fail. In light of
    Oakland

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

I also believe that Sanchez needs to get out of NY as soon as possible and find himself a smaller market team.

6. Locke

Locke They looked like strong hands.

I said 4th, but a team could probably be strong-armed into a 3rd, and maybe even a 2nd if desperate enough. QB values are much higher than other positions, so despite a subpar performance in his career so far, I think some team would look at his youth and a few of the times he has flashed and figure with better coaching, maybe they can help him follow Alex Smith's career trajectory. I don't see a team that needs a QB and has that staff in place though. Seattle might be the most likely landing spot, considering the Pete Carrol connection...

7. jared81

jared81 Banned Hammered

this. After seeing my team waste a pick on aj feely I could never see giving more than a 5th rounder for Sanchez. He has regressed and is near the bottom of every major statistic this season. The only thing good he has going is that he is young and coachable.

8. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

This thread reminds me of that Taco Bell commercial.

"59, 79, 99."

$0.59

$0.79

$0.99

9. Vaark

kanye pls change ponder to Curtis Painter in the choices TIA

10. FinfanInBuffalo

FinfanInBuffalo Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

Why would any team want Sanchez unless they are sure that the Jets have totally screwed up his coaching or have him in the wrong system? It would be different if he had periods of consistent success but he has been bad poor more often than good. Perhaps a reclamation project like Carson Palmer or an injury risk like Brees. You don't bring in Sanchez planning for him to compete for a starting job, therefore you don't give up more than a 5th round pick.

There is not a single starter in the NFL who was previously a 4 year failure on another team.

11. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Gotta look at past trades to establish value, and exclude any fluke trades(basically anything the Raiders have done).

Hes not as "blockbuster" as Kevin Kolb or Daunte Culpepper. Kolb was a relative unknown who had potential and Culpepper was a former high performing starter.
    Hes not as bust as, say, Trent Green was for us, who we spent a conditional 5th on. Or even a Shaun Hill type situation who went for a 7th.

Steve McNair went for a 4th and id say that sounds about right. Though id have a hard time seeing anyone spend a 4th on a fourth year vet who hasnt lived up to expectations.

12. WVDolphan

WVDolphan Banned Hammered

[video=youtube;jsVRj7VvfWc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsVRj7VvfWc[/video]

13. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

5th. Matt Moore has more trade value then Sanchez.

14. Vaark

Ted, I would agree except for the perception (misplaced I think) that Sanchez has more upside than Moore.. although Moore would presently make any team a better one that Sanchez. Even though I started the poll, I'm still twixt and tween between "4th" and "5th" round value .. cause actually I'd be pissed if Moore, who an argument can be made that he's presently the 3rd best QB in the division, goes for anything less than a 4th.

So although as the 6th round option I meant "Painter" (whom the jest are so proud of beating in the second half of game 15 in 09), I will continue to "ponder" this myself. :up:

15. HarryBagpipe

His ridiculous contract makes him borderline untradeable. It's not just giving up the pick, it's taking on all that salary. No way.

16. MadDog 88

I took into account that the Chiefs may be in the market for a QB and I would be willing to bet they would rather take Moore. Call it a hunch if you want, but outside of them, neither will get more then a 5th IMHO.

17. MadDog 88

Good point. He is owed 12 mil next season and counts as 17 mil in dead money. That is fraud, waste and abuse if I have ever seen it.

18. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Jacksonville will be looking for a QB. Gabbert looks like he's the first of the young highly drafted QBs to be a bust. He looks so bad that it won't be too long before Henne gets tapped on the shoulder and they see what the Robot has to offer. The Jags may well be in the running for Barkley but a 4 playoff game winner like Sanchez could be given an opportunity in Jax.

19. HarryBagpipe

Shonn green has more playoff wind than mjd. Maybe they should pick him up to. Heck. Rex grossman made it to the Super Bowl. That's who Jax should really go after

20. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Pretty sure long term a different Jets QB will be their franchise QB. Isnt he a local? And dont they need to sell tickets? Makes sense to me.

21. Vaark

A Jets Fan From JI's objective analytical comparative graphic analysis of Sanchez

interesting work ups (and damning) Again, why JetsInsider has the lowest proportion of blind homers who are still avid fans:
    http://nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/sanchezpercentage.php
    http://nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/sanchezYPC.php

Haven't verified these numbers so take it for what it's worth, but this is from another JI poster:
    Sanchez has never gone 5 consecutive games where he completed more than
    52% of his passes.

Sanchez has never gone 5 consecutive games where he had 5 games with a
    QB rating above 60

Sanchez has never gone 5 consecutive games where he threw 200 yards

22. HarryBagpipe

good stuff. Jetsnation is pretty realistic too. Just about all of them there think Sanchez is awful

23. Vaark

Its's ironic isn't it that we're "blessed" with the full-court presence of the most homeristic poster from the most delusional jets forum of the 3, isn't it?

24. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

Sounds like Cypress Hill :chuckle:

[​IMG]

And Mark Sanchez

25. HarryBagpipe

I would be lying if I said there hasn't been more than one occasion where I've actually lol'd in real life with the stuff he's come up with. It's kinda like that nutty uncle who no one wants to sit next to at the family reunion but whose absurdness actually cuts through some of the monotony. Not sure if I'd miss the little guy if he left but I find it intriguing, amazing, baffling and downright hilarious at times to see what people can convince themselves of when their entire thought process is completely based on emotion rather than rational thought

26. Vaark

thanks fishy for my new sig

[​IMG]

27. Vaark

Okay, despite that Sanchez's biggest, most vacuum-visioned fluffer keeps maintaining I'm a non-objective homer, I'm gonna prove that ASSumption wrong by voting sincerely that I believe Taco could make a good, reliable back-up providing he can get his head on straight - so indeed he's worth a 5th round pick. I could have as easily said he's Curtis Painter-like or worthless at this point just to be arbitrary but that's not what I really believe. :idk:

Then again, for years I've been maintaining that the difference between Sanchez and Henne is the cast of characters, especially the OL that either had to deal with, and of course that no matter whatever else you may say about Chad, at least his testicles have dropped. So objectively speaking I think those two are worth about the same value with about the same upside, although IMO, neither one of them comes close to Matt Moore either from a fundamental nor intangible standpoint.

28. Mike8272

Mike8272 Active Member

Could be anything from a 3rd round pick to a 5th round pick. Depends how generous, or desperate, the other teams general manager is. The guy isn't a great QB, but he could be a dependable backup QB, and someone may want that. Unlikely though.

29. FinfanInBuffalo

FinfanInBuffalo Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

If he isn't a dependable starter, why would he be a dependable backup? That is the problem with Sanchez. He is too inconsistent. He also doesn't seem to have the mental makeup to be a backup.

30. randomname

randomname A True Fan

This. I think the Jets would have to give up a draft pick of their own just to get rid of him.

31. where's th'fish

where's th'fish Scout Team Donator

I'm pretty sure that, when the time comes, Sanchez will be released, not traded. That would put his trade value at zero. Whether he eventually turns into a capable backup, or even starter, years down the line, who knows.

But seriously, some of the posters saying Sanchez is worth something have me wondering. Would you actually prefer Sanchez starting on the Dolphins over, say, David Garrard? I don't get it. Why on earth would you?

32. Adam First

Adam First Don't Hate Miami Finheaven VIP Donator

Go the Joey Harrington route - he'll likely go for a late round draft choice (5th or later) to a team whose quarterback situation is questionable.

33. DisturbedShifty

DisturbedShifty Wort-wort-wort!!! Administrator Finheaven VIP

I already posted this in the Jets photoshop thread. But I figured it would work here too...

[​IMG]

Just found this one:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2012
  34. metalman32060

metalman32060 Misplaced PhinFan

I would give a moldy turkey sandwich and maybe a twix bar, provided I get a 6th back. I believe 4th year in the league and way to inconsistent. Don't think you can fix his acuracy problems if they haven't been fixed by now. Of course Sporano is probably blowing air raid sirens at him now a days so maybe there is hope for him :crazy:

35. DphinBillkiller

DphinBillkiller Touchdown

I went with the worthess option lol.

36. Quadfather

Quadfather FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

In all honesty this guy really perplexes me..He can go 0-8 and then rip off 4 passes of 20 yards in a row. I think he could have been a good QB, but hes lost all confidence, hes broken. Maybe hell have an Alex Smith path...I dont know. But seriously I would rather have Chad Henne than Sanchez..I thought henne got a bad rep. Hed never be on the same plane as Tannehill, but put some decent weapons around him and give him an O-coord who actually knows what hes doing, he could be a Jim Miller journyman qb. I think the wait for Tannehill will be worth it though..at least we didnt use the 6th overall pick on henne...

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

so 7th maybe for sanchiz,

37. Panino

Panino Member

Worthless, maybe some crumbs. Sanchez stinks.

38. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Why would anyone trade for him? He'll be cheaply available when the Jets cut ties with him after 2013.

39. jetsknicks1

jetsknicks1 Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I'm not sure if he'll ever be a "Very good" NFL QB but the Jets haven't really done him any favors. From constantly changing his WR corps to bringing in Tebow, our FO has really messed with his head.

40. Vaark