whats our backup plan at LT?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by allsilverdreams, May 19, 2013.

1. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

I hate to b a Debbie downer but what if Martin does not fit the bill at LT what will be the backup plan?i do think Martin did good in his first year when he was forced into the spot.there were times he was probably not the best answer but we had no one to step in.im not sure who on this roster could do the job:err:

2. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Yeatman? Thomas?

3. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

Use one of the backups.

4. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

hey bro he wasnt forced into the LT poss because he played LT in college , thats who blocked for Luck in college and Martin played LT (left tackle) so its not a poss that he is going to play that he hasnt played before because he has and he did a very good job at it Luck was the #1 pick in the draft last year , and he wouldnt have been if he hadnt had success ,and i think Martin will do a great job for us at LT.

5. Ruckus45

Ruckus45 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Do you mean if he goes down or doesn't perform? If he goes down - one of our backups. If he doesn't perform then we enter next offseason begrudgingly looking for a FA or draft pick to fill the need. Lets hope he plays well.

6. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

like I said I think he did a good job when Long went down.my question would be why all the talk about bringing in a FA LT via trade or FA if we already have Martin ready to take over.i know he played LT in school but this is not school.he did play darn good at times and held his own but there were times when I had to look the other way when he got bull rushed and nocked down by a blitzing CB.maybe he got flat footed or just missed judged but that was ugly

7. Lord Of Miami

Lord Of Miami A True Fan

This is why they drafted Dallas Thomas ...

8. Daman379

Daman379 Rookie

I have my money on John Jerry as our back up LT! I not a believer of Martin as our LT. He's too weak and is a Ivy league boy, that I could put on his butt with a bull rush! I need to go to Church and pray that Martin ate some magical foods to make him no a Pus!

9. Emanauguste

Emanauguste Active Member

The 2014 nfl draft

10. Patrick_Bateman

Patrick_Bateman Rookie

It would probably come down to a committee approach (with whomever fills in the best keeping the job for the rest of the season), and then probably another high round pick in next year's draft

11. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

Stanford is not a Ivey league school, but I get what you are saying and will agree Jerry is one of the options at LT. I think Thomas will get a shot before Jerry, but Jerry would not surprise me over there.

Personally I am more worried about injuries than Martin not working out, an injury at either tackle spot will hurts us bad. The thing we have to have a positive attitude about is that this is a different coaching staff. These guys can take average players and make them much better. I think what they saw in Martin, they will show us on the field this year. Or at least that is what I am hoping for.

12. Patrick_Bateman

Patrick_Bateman Rookie

The OVERWHELMING majority of the talk was by media "experts" and fans. Ireland kicked the tires on potential FA's, and even made an offer to Jake - but that was it. I'm sure his thinking was along the lines of, "if I can get A for this price I'll take it, if not we'll roll with what we've already got"

As it turns out, we couldn't get A (Long) or B (Albert) for what we were willing to pay, so we're rolling with what we've already got.

13. Always Next Year

Always Next Year Starter

I'm pretty sure Nate Garner would be the injury replacement for either tackle spot

14. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

errr Lane Johnson... oh I mean Dion Jordan...No Dallas thomas thats the ticket.

15. circumstances

circumstances Starter

ideally dallas thomas would be able to step in, but as a rookie he is an unknown quantity at this point. john jerry did a good job filling in for jake in 2011. he would likely be up first. after that, good luck. i've seen nate garner at left tackle and it was not nfl caliber (not that a player can't improve, i just haven't seen it out of him).

16. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

you would be a debbie downer if we had an all pro LT and u were saying that but its a fair question

17. SMadison29

SMadison29 What Sherman aspires to be

I'm sure Richmond Webb will still available once the season starts. I don't know if there's a clear cut answer. Certainly Garner, Yeatman, Jerry, & Thomas would all be in the mix. In the short term, say for the remainder of a game I'd go with Garner or Yeatman. If it was more long term I'd go with Jerry or Thomas given that we have a lot more depth at guard. Thomas played LT in college but is not an NFL LT while Jerry has never played LT.

18. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

Garner is a Jack of all trades he can play any poss he may not be the best at it ,BUT he isnt the worst at it he can hold down the fort until we do get something better.

19. Digital

Digital Starter

I think we're pretty locked in on having Jonathan Martin learn as he goes at LT. From the looks of things, there's no backup plan unless he gets hurt. In that case, I'd expect Dallas Thomas to be given the shot ... which scares me even more than Martin.

From the looks of it, Ireland is set on what he sees as building through the draft, so if he drafts a position, he's not looking to draft that position again. Success/failure will probably not be assessed until year 3 in most cases, so the coaches are going to have to really pound the table to get draft picks outside of Ireland's comfort zone. He believes on building along the trenches, so DL is his area of concern, followed by OL. Using his churn approach, he always has a need along the OL and usually along the DL as well, so he can justify continuing to draft them. He drafts Long, 5 years later, he lets him go. He drafts Martin in the 2nd, so he's going to get him at LT through his 4 year contract until he can let him go and churn that position again. He drafted Jerry, and he's looking for his replacement. He brought in Incognito, so he drafted his replacement in Dallas Thomas.

My guess would be that in the 2014 draft we will look for DL in round 1 and probably a RT to replace Clabo in round 2, and another acorn TE in round 4.

20. Mulverizer19

Mulverizer19 Scout Team

Trade a first round pick for Jake Long