whats the hype surrounding the texans all about? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

whats the hype surrounding the texans all about?

thefranchisedef

Active Roster
Reaction score
Mario Williams, Demeco Ryans, Jason Allen (yes, Jason Allen was AMAZING last year) all gone from that defense. Vickers, Eric Winston, Jacoby Jones are gone from their offense. How has this team gotten any better? Last year they played the COLTS, JAGS, and TITANS twice.. the best team they beat was the Steelers. They dominated them on the ground that day. I don't see them dominating the best run defense in the second half of the season last year (your miami dolphins). Their o-line has more questions than ours and their receiving core isn't any better. I don't see how this team is seen as such a great one. They have middle of the pack roster. Great receiver and great running back but most of arian fosters runs come because of that line. We actually ran more yards than them last year and our running game is better than it was last year.

I'm not saying we are going to win. They are still the best team in their division but, thats not saying much. If we get blown out by this team then we are going to be the worst team in the NFL. If we keep it close or even win it doesn't mean we are playoff bound. Fact is, The Texans are not a super-bowl caliber team. Don't believe me then compare them to Kansas City, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Dallas, New York Giants, Philly, Chicago, Greenbay, SanFran, New Orleans, Carolina, Detroit Lions. Those are the best teams in the NFL. Oh, and I'll take the jets defense over that overrated defense any day. Wade Phillips made that defense, check how bad they were before and even the last few games of the season.

Mario Williams, Demeco Ryans, Jason Allen (yes, Jason Allen was AMAZING last year) all gone from that defense. Vickers, Eric Winston, Jacoby Jones are gone from their offense. How has this team gotten any better? Last year they played the COLTS, JAGS, and TITANS twice.. the best team they beat was the Steelers. They dominated them on the ground that day. I don't see them dominating the best run defense in the second half of the season last year (your miami dolphins). Their o-line has more questions than ours and their receiving core isn't any better. I don't see how this team is seen as such a great one. They have middle of the pack roster. Great receiver and great running back but most of arian fosters runs come because of that line. We actually ran more yards than them last year and our running game is better than it was last year.

I'm not saying we are going to win. They are still the best team in their division but, thats not saying much. If we get blown out by this team then we are going to be the worst team in the NFL. If we keep it close or even win it doesn't mean we are playoff bound. Fact is, The Texans are not a super-bowl caliber team. Don't believe me then compare them to Kansas City, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Dallas, New York Giants, Philly, Chicago, Greenbay, SanFran, New Orleans, Carolina, Detroit Lions. Those are the best teams in the NFL. Oh, and I'll take the jets defense over that overrated defense any day. Wade Phillips made that defense, check how bad they were before and even the last few games of the season.

Gotta also factor in how well they played as a team last year when Matt Schaub went down and had to win games (including a playoff game) and staying with Baltimore in the 2nd round with rookie TJ Yates under center.

And KC and Carolina are far from being lumped in with the best teams in the NFL.
Houston belongs in the conversation for being in the top of the AFC.

I think JJ Watt made Mario Williams expendable (i'm pretty sure Mario missed the whole year last year). They still have their main playmakers (AJ +Foster) on offense although those two are battling injury issues. As for the oline, i'm not sure what they did to address winston leaving but i dont think it's going to be that much disparity unless they signed who we had at RT last year. They're still a pretty good team and took the ravens down the wire last year with a rookie qb.

look at KC's roster. they are getting back Eric Berry, Jamaal Charles. They have the best 4-3 pass rusher in the league. Their defense is stacked! Their receiving core is top 10. They added Peyton Hillis for goal line. Special Teams is top 10.. They have one of the best ROSTERS in the league. Carolina has Cam Newton and GREAT running game. Steve Smith? yea, they are in the equation. Don't forget about denver and sandiego hell even the raiders who beat them last year. I'm not sold! They have alot of holes on that team.

Jason Allen was not amazing last year, Mario Williams was IR'd by week 5 and Demeco Ryans was not a scheme fit and was not on the field for roughly 50% of the snaps on defense. Eric Winston is a hard loss (As well as Mike Briesel) but Lawrence Vickers was not anything special last year and neither was Jacoby Jones. Steelers were a 12-4 team last year, Falcons were a playoff team, Cinci was a playoff team that we beat twice. How on earth is the Texans receiving core with just Andre Johnson not as good as the Miami Dolphins who are going to have Davone Bess as the #1 WR? Kevin Walters is still decent, still have Owen Daniels at TE and we have two new WR's that both made good plays in the preseason (KeShawn Martin, LeStar Jean). You are wrong about Arian Foster he is actually a decent back, if the line was the only thing that mattered Steve Slaton (Yes that one that is on your team now) would still be the #1 back on the offense, but he couldn't get it done because he was not good enough. The Texans have had that line put together for almost 4 years now and there was not one good running back on the team until Arian Foster and Ben Tate showed up.

So the 6-10 Panthers and the 6-10 Chiefs are some of the best teams in the NFL but the Texans aren't? Because the Texans roster is middle of the road? I'd love to see you go down the roster position by position and tell me what makes that roster middle of the road.

look at KC's roster. they are getting back Eric Berry, Jamaal Charles. They have the best 4-3 pass rusher in the league. Their defense is stacked! Their receiving core is top 10. They added Peyton Hillis for goal line. Special Teams is top 10.. They have one of the best ROSTERS in the league. Carolina has Cam Newton and GREAT running game. Steve Smith? yea, they are in the equation. Don't forget about denver and sandiego hell even the raiders who beat them last year. I'm not sold! They have alot of holes on that team.

6 starting defensive players are already injured on KC's roster... and Matt Cassell is their quarterback, just having him behind the helm pretty much disqualifies any shot at being one of the "best teams in the NFL".

And yes Carolina has Cam Newton. They also had a terrible second half to the year.... and the worst defense in the league last year. It's unfathomable to put a 6 win team last year and call them one of the best in the league.

Coming from a guy who thinks Matt Moore is a top five quarterback in the AFC... That opinion alone negates anything you have to say. Dude you can be a hater all you like but you're nothing in the way of evaluating talent.

Last edited by a moderator:
6 starting defensive players are already injured on KC's roster... and Matt Cassell is their quarterback, just having him behind the helm pretty much disqualifies any shot at being one of the "best teams in the NFL".

And yes Carolina has Cam Newton. They also had a terrible second half to the year.... and the worst defense in the league last year. It's unfathomable to put a 6 win team last year and call them one of the best in the league.

Um, they finished 4-2, winning by 8, 19, 15, and 32 points. 3 of the 4 wins were against bad teams, and the other win came against a Texans team starting a rookie QB (but that team with that QB won a playoff game and played the Ravens tough). Any way you look at it, though, they most certainly did not have a terrible 2nd half.

Um, they finished 4-2, winning by 8, 19, 15, and 32 points. 3 of the 4 wins were against bad teams, and the other win came against a Texans team starting a rookie QB (but that team with that QB won a playoff game and played the Ravens tough). Any way you look at it, though, they most certainly did not have a terrible 2nd half.

yeah i don't know where my thoughts on their second half came from... you are totally correct. total mental lapse.

still not one of the best teams in the NFL though lol

If Jason Allen was AMAZING as you say, I think that speaks volumes about their coaching.

They can replace those guys. Ryans and Williams spent a good portion of the season with injuries. And Mario Williams is a guy that many of you say, "isn't that good" when you mention that Buffalo picked him up.

Houston is going to skull drag us tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be as bad as what the Hurricanes are dealing with right now.

yeah i don't know where my thoughts on their second half came from... you are totally correct. total mental lapse.

still not one of the best teams in the NFL though lol

Would take a performance even more shocking from Newton to make the one of the best teams. I agree. And, no worries; it happens to the best of us.

Would take a performance even more shocking from Newton to make the one of the best teams. I agree. And, no worries; it happens to the best of us.

i think it has more to do with their defense. If their defense goes from being a walk over, to somewhat competent... That team has a shot at 9 wins.

Cam merely just has to not regress like many other QB's do in their sophomore year.... that and having the team avoid the injury bug of course.

Im trying to follow you through this whole thing whether you are talking last year or right now. First, KC defense sucks. they get blown out alot. talking last year. I agree wholeheartedly about Houston being overhyped. But there are guys ready to step in to replace guys lost I believe. They are a well rounded team who play well together albeit they are starting a rookie at RT.

I do think if we play up to our competition, and our defense shines bringing tons of pressure, we can win this game. If we cannot run a game plan or score TD's we lose simply put.

There is alot to be said for starting out fast here as last year we just were out of shape not ready. This year we do not have that problem but one of getting the game plan and executing with some new guys playing on the fly this week. I think the fact that this game is our first is a good thing. No one but god and Philbin and co. knows what kind of offensive gameplan/setups we will run. They have no tape on us other than preseason, which is why its so wrong to judge a team on preseason. Surprise surprise surprise. If REggie Bush has a big game with a TD or two vis the pass, we have a very good chance of winning.

Whats funny about all this is that I never said we would win, lol. I said that the texans are overhyped and if they blow us out then we are in real trouble. I expect it to be a close game because we MATCHUP well vs them.

To the guy who said I think Matt Moore is a top afc quarterback, I'm pretty sure I implied that he was RATED top 6 afc quarterback last year. I have never been a believer in Matt Moore. I like ACCURATE QUARTERBACKS! I have been a believer in TANNEHILL since day 1. I never really liked Matt Flynn. I said Aaron Rodgers would be a top 5 quarterback after just watching him fill in for an injured favre vs the cowboys. I never really liked Henne. I was a bit of a homer but its because I was hoping it would work. I said Stafford would be a top 10 quarterback. I don't think Bradford is a good quarterback. I never liked Sanchez. Man, I haven't been wrong picking the winner of the two teams represented in the superbowl in 12 years. Say what you want but the TEXANS aren't special. They lost ALOT.

If you want to go by last year and not by looking at the grand scheme of things then thats on you. Kansas City Chiefs are WAY more talented than the TEXANS. better recieving core, better Defense.. They lost eric berry the first game. How did their defense play after they fired that **** of a coach? That team is extremely talented and maybe because they have one of the best GM's in the biz in pioli? They lost their two best players early in the season. at one point had battle as their runningback. That team beat the PACKERS with defense and KYLE ORTON at quarterback. I don't really care for cassel but as a roster they are a very talented squad.

If they come out and blow us out then I'll jump on the bus.

Back
Top Bottom