When did Dolphins fans officially turn on Ireland? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

When did Dolphins fans officially turn on Ireland?

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
For the most part, I've always held a neutral position on Ireland. I felt he was an average GM who has made some good moves, and some bad moves, but for the most part performed OK in terms of talent evaluation, especially compared to previous Dolphins GMs. I did come to a turning point mid season where I wanted him fired along with Philbin for his handling of the OL which was a dumpster fire early on. I though the state of the OL was inexcusable and was tanking our season. That being said, I said at the start of the season that if this team got to the playoffs, Ireland is safe, and I still hold that position.

While I have been rather neutral on him, it seems like the vast majority have been fervently against him for several years. I am interested to know what was the turning point of public opinion on Ireland.

Was it Dez-gate? To me, that seems the most likely as I remember the backlash being strong and his rep never really returning. Or was it more gradual with the constant 7-9 seasons? Can you pinpoint the exact moment when you or the vast majority of fans became anti-Ireland? And how has that opinion changed over the years?

IMO it was ever since Sparano's lame duck renovation after Harbaugh turned us down.

They all should have been fired right there and then.

Not that I didn't like Ireland but if you clean house you bring out the bleach and the Lysol and every abrasive chemical at once.

I have also been neutral on Ireland but I started to feel some resentment towards him when he stab his friend (Tony Sparano) in the back with that trip to San Francisco. Even if Ireland was toeing the company line by going to California with Ross, he should have let Sparano know what was going on.

That didn't bother me nearly as much as the evidence that we had lost faith in the project but stuck with it when option A fell through... pathetic.

I have also been neutral on Ireland but I started to feel some resentment towards him when he stab his friend (Tony Sparano) in the back with that trip to San Francisco. Even if Ireland was toeing the company line by going to California with Ross, he should have let Sparano know what was going on.

I had forgotten about that. I agree, that was a true dick move. But I don't care if the GM is a dick as long as he is bringing in talent. Ireland has had his draft failures, specifically in 2nd and 3rd rounds, but he has also hit on every first rounder and a ton f late draft picks, so it's a bit of a wash, although I would absolutely love to see some 2nd round hits. His OL acquisitions have also been hit or miss.

I think a lot of his problems are personality based. He doesn't endear himself to players or media, and that has come back to haunt him on occasion. But it seems his talent acquisitions are starting to come together with the one essential ingredient (QB) in the mix.

The Dez thing was more embarrassment than anything. I really don't care about that. For me the turning point was the Pat White pick. A 2nd round pick for that dude was just pure stupidity. Also, he's just picked guys I wasn't very high on. In 2009 when we picked Vontae Davis it surprised me...when our pick came I was literally trying to decide if we were going to pick Hakeem Nicks or Clay Matthews...I was happy that we were going to get a serious need and playmaker and then we picked Vontae. Then in the 2nd round I thought Max Unger was a no-brainer and we took Pat White!! You want to know who was available between the Pat White and Sean Smith picks? How about Connor Barwin, Max Unger, Andy Levitre, LeSean McCoy, Paul Kruger, Sebastian Vollmer and William Beatty....and we took freakin PAT WHITE!!!

The next year we traded down because he wanted to recoup the 2nd round pick we lost in the Brandon Marshall trade...quantity over quality. We could have had Earl Thomas who I wanted but we instead got Jared Odrick...Odrick has been solid and a much better fit in the 4-3 which is not what he was drafted to play mind you, but we passed on a playmaker in Earl Thomas. Some people wanted Jason Pierre-Paul, some wanted Dez Bryant that year. I was also very high on Demaryius Thomas but we passed up playmakers for the safe pick...the D-line.

I'll just say that Tannehill was the first time he picked someone in the first round that I really wanted.

Pat White was all Tuna-Sparano-Henning...

They authored that monster called "The Wildcat".

Back then Ireland was hardly mentioned, it was all Tuna and Sparano on here and the news, Ireland was low profile.

Pat White was all Tuna-Sparano-Henning...

They authored that monster called "The Wildcat".

Back then Ireland was hardly mentioned, it was all Tuna and Sparano on here and the news, Ireland was low profile.

He was the GM, if he wasn't making the picks then he should give his salary back to the Dolphins organization. If he wasn't making the picks, then what was he doing? Why was he getting paid?

When he drafted Vontae and SS, and did not resign Goodman.

I had forgotten about that. I agree, that was a true dick move. But I don't care if the GM is a dick as long as he is bringing in talent. Ireland has had his draft failures, specifically in 2nd and 3rd rounds, but he has also hit on every first rounder and a ton f late draft picks, so it's a bit of a wash, although I would absolutely love to see some 2nd round hits. His OL acquisitions have also been hit or miss.

I think a lot of his problems are personality based. He doesn't endear himself to players or media, and that has come back to haunt him on occasion. But it seems his talent acquisitions are starting to come together with the one essential ingredient (QB) in the mix.

I think someone mentioned that awhile ago. Ireland was trying to come across as a mini-Parcells but didn't have the credentials to pull it off. Parcells because of his reputation could pull off being a butt-wipe to people but Ireland couldn't because he didn't have that reputation.

I think someone mentioned that awhile ago. Ireland was trying to come across as a mini-Parcells but didn't have the credentials to pull it off. Parcells because of his reputation could pull off being a butt-wipe to people but Ireland couldn't because he didn't have that reputation.

While I sure haven't enjoyed our team being his school he sure has developed and if things don't go "Rick Spielman" he might eventually...

That guy saw a talented Dolphins team inherited to him fall apart and did a marvelous job putting that Vikes team only to end up dismantling it...

I am happy with Ireland, and don't want to replace him unless there is a "can't miss" type to put in his place. There were several picks I didn't like, but I love the way he has handled the cap and don't reach for a lot of players that some here wanted. The team has a lot of young talent that once they are developed could turn into some great picks. Is he perfect, no. But changing GMs every year is a recipe for disaster. We are SOO much better now than we were just two years ago and are heading in the right direction if you ask me.

When he made the 2nd Brandon Marshall trade - got horrible value for him. Also, when someone posted his picture wearing shorts.

Back
Top Bottom