When did Dolphins fans officially turn on Ireland? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

When did Dolphins fans officially turn on Ireland?

We are SOO much better now than we were just two years ago and are heading in the right direction if you ask me.

Actually we aren't much better talent wise - except at QB and coaching. Without T-hill its possible we would have a worse record than we had 2 years ago. This is the misconception that people have around here after winning a couple games IMO. You could argue that we had more talent 2 years ago, outside of QB.

You can take a look for yourselves....

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia/lineups.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Ireland so never...

i honestly cant stand when anyone points out draft picks and who we "could have drafed instead" its such utter and complete nonsense.

for any guy who is a star, you can look up where he got drafted, and then go down the line and find probably at least half the league "missing" on the pick. its so annoying.

I think guys stopped liking him really for no reason at all.

I think it is all about one person - CHAD HENNE. this was a parcells pick, and it did not work out, and when your QB is not a franchise QB, you sink.

Parcells catches a ton of CRAP around here because we only had one division title and one playoff appearance with his regime so far, but people forget he changed the culture here to an extent.

I dont think Ireland was ever bad at all - there is ONE REASON FOR THIS - JUST ONE, and it goes like this:

Look at the 2009 Offensive line. It was SOLID, we were leading the league in rushing. Then all the sudden, sparano decided to constantly shuffle the line every damn down, and i have no idea why. Several of those guys that were on that line are now starting elsewhere in the league, it makes no sense. Couple that with Henne, and that is why we could never get over the hump PERIOD. Ireland brought in Reggie Bush, Brandon Marshall, Cam Wake, OV, Hartline, Clay etc.

Philbin didnt want some of those guys and they are now gone, and really ireland was just building what parcells and sporano wanted - and they sucked in this day and age to an extent, but ONE YEAR after philbin wanted a diff breed of player, this man has brought in the right guys, and more importantly, Philbin has gotten production out of Irelands "groceries" .

Another thing to add - If we lose Ireland after this season its a str8 up SIN. That is b/c - watch this team, the reason we are strong in December is mostly due to DEPTH. we have FINALLY after years of anquish built DEPTH on this team, that allows us to compete all season. Ireland has had a huge hand in building up this depth. I'm sick of this "what have you done lately" mentality in the NFL. look around the league - the best, perennial contenders stick with the same management and usually the same coaches for years at a time. Trying to strike gold every 3 years is just dumb, it rarely works.

That is also why everyone with the "clean house you get everyone" mentality is also dead wrong. Ross had it right. its showing. keep ireland.

When Tony was canned it started and when dez cried to the media it snow balled.

I don't really have a problem with Ireland at least not based on the martin fiasco and any of those reasons above.

He could do a better job of spotting talent, but he is probably in the top 10 of GM's if you analyze intelligently how the team is budgeted and run.

No GM bats 1000, there are none that come close to batting 1000. There are many angles to that job that most Monday morning Qbs are not capable of understanding

I thought it was funny when they flew out to California and tried to replace the meatball. The talking heads in the NFL are all disgusted and they disgust me anyway so screw em. It's what I wanted the Dolphins to do. Boo hoo if Tony loses his multi million dollar job that he clearly doesn't deserve while people act like some middle class guy is about to get laid off and can't feed his family. The only thing that pissed me off was keeping him for 2011 but whatever I guess they couldn't find anybody better and the crappy season we had to put up with did land Tannehill. I'm not even completely sold on Tanny yet but he is starting to look almost elite, he has a good chance to be a pretty good QB. These last couple weeks he has really looked like he is starting to master this game!

The pass I'll give Ireland for now is that he has had to change gears and work with a Philbin team after trying to build a meatball team. This team has caused a lot of concern this year, it hasn't been pretty but a 10 win season and I can't complain if Ross wants to plow ahead next year with the combination of Philbin and Ireland.

The Dez thing was more embarrassment than anything. I really don't care about that. For me the turning point was the Pat White pick. A 2nd round pick for that dude was just pure stupidity. Also, he's just picked guys I wasn't very high on. In 2009 when we picked Vontae Davis it surprised me...when our pick came I was literally trying to decide if we were going to pick Hakeem Nicks or Clay Matthews...I was happy that we were going to get a serious need and playmaker and then we picked Vontae. Then in the 2nd round I thought Max Unger was a no-brainer and we took Pat White!! You want to know who was available between the Pat White and Sean Smith picks? How about Connor Barwin, Max Unger, Andy Levitre, LeSean McCoy, Paul Kruger, Sebastian Vollmer and William Beatty....and we took freakin PAT WHITE!!!

The next year we traded down because he wanted to recoup the 2nd round pick we lost in the Brandon Marshall trade...quantity over quality. We could have had Earl Thomas who I wanted but we instead got Jared Odrick...Odrick has been solid and a much better fit in the 4-3 which is not what he was drafted to play mind you, but we passed on a playmaker in Earl Thomas. Some people wanted Jason Pierre-Paul, some wanted Dez Bryant that year. I was also very high on Demaryius Thomas but we passed up playmakers for the safe pick...the D-line.

I'll just say that Tannehill was the first time he picked someone in the first round that I really wanted.

[h=1]Bill Parcells: Pat White selection 'was my mistake'[/h]http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...ake-long-042511_1_selection-pat-white-mistake

The next year we traded down because he wanted to recoup the 2nd round pick we lost in the Brandon Marshall trade...quantity over quality. We could have had Earl Thomas who I wanted but we instead got Jared Odrick...Odrick has been solid and a much better fit in the 4-3 which is not what he was drafted to play mind you, but we passed on a playmaker in Earl Thomas. Some people wanted Jason Pierre-Paul, some wanted Dez Bryant that year. I was also very high on Demaryius Thomas but we passed up playmakers for the safe pick...the D-line.

I'll just say that Tannehill was the first time he picked someone in the first round that I really wanted.

I lost my **** during that draft, in fact I got in such a huge fight with my gf at the time that we ended up breaking up shortly thereafter (but she was a bitch so I guess I should be happy with Jeffy for that one LOL)

When he flew out to California with Ross. It showed more than anything that he's just a Ross puppet and a yes man. He should've been fired along with Sparano. Also, Joe Rose has told some stories about him on the air that make him sound like a complete jerk.

The writing was on the wall for me in 2011 when we had just come off a losing season and he effectively stood pat in upgrading the team for the most part. There's an old adage that applies to the NFL: if you're standing still, you're going backwards. We stood still and started the season 0-7.

The writing was on the wall for me in 2011 when we had just come off a losing season and he effectively stood pat in upgrading the team for the most part. There's an old adage that applies to the NFL: if you're standing still, you're going backwards. We stood still and started the season 0-7.

I think a lot of that had to do with Sparano's lame duck status. That was the worst decision Ross made. It essentially kept us in limbo. Ireland had assurances he was safe, but Sparano did not. As such, what sense did it make to go after a QB for a coach who not be here in a year and the future coach may not want? 2011 was a wasted year all around...

And who knows, maybe it was a strategic move to get a high draft pick in a loaded QB draft...

He was the GM, if he wasn't making the picks then he should give his salary back to the Dolphins organization. If he wasn't making the picks, then what was he doing? Why was he getting paid?

My question is different. Why the hell were we paying Parsells 7 million a year only to be golfing? Then he pops in with Pat White and kept his eye on him in practice.....ay yi yi. he was watching his screwup screw the fins.

It is clear to me that when Parsells was gone, Ireland put his stamp on, but also gave into Sparano on Jerry and maybe others.

The difference here is Philbin and his big picture GB offense. If Philbin doesnt want Ireland around, Im cool with it, but they better have someone they can work with because thats asking for trouble.

I like Philbin. I think he is a much better coach than given cred for. It doesnt alway pan out due to players, injuries, ect. but this guy knows what he wants and its starting to show. Tannehill is tied to Philbin tied to Ireland.

I think a lot of that had to do with Sparano's lame duck status. That was the worst decision Ross made. It essentially kept us in limbo. Ireland had assurances he was safe, but Sparano did not. As such, what sense did it make to go after a QB for a coach who not be here in a year and the future coach may not want? 2011 was a wasted year all around...

And who knows, maybe it was a strategic move to get a high draft pick in a loaded QB draft...

This got me thinking about how Ireland said he had his eyes on Tannehill the year before. So Ross hires Philbin who hires Tannehills college HC who will run the same system. So I wonder if Ireland actually was in Philbins corner in the aspect of he could fit with what we may end up drafting. Its a little far out, but possible. I know ireland wanted the other guy, but Ireland's plans were what sold Ross IMO and he would agree with whatever else Ross wanted and they would act collaboratively.

Back
Top Bottom