When was the last time we had more talent than this year's team? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

When was the last time we had more talent than this year's team?

Dolfan23

Active Roster
Reaction score
Seriously we are loaded across the board. We have some guys with prior serious injuries and some guys who are up there in age but overall I can't recall a team with this much talent spread across all areas of the game.

We should be able to throw the ball anywhere on the field.

We should be able to run the ball with power or speed.

We should be able to protect the QB as well as any point since Webb and Sims hung em up.

Our QB should be the most comfortable he's ever been in an offense.

Our front 7 should be able to get after the QB and at least get by in stopping the run.

Our defensive backfield has playmakers and length all over the field and most of the guys tackle well.

We have at least 3 guys in the return game who can hit a HR.

We have a terrific punter and a kicker who's gotta be feeling great after the way he closed the season.

Without question we have one of the best head coaches in the league and he's only going to be better going into his 2nd year.

The team has never sounded more like a family from the top of the organization on down.

The stadium is as nice as it's ever been.

Okay so maybe stretching it there towards the end but good grief how anyone could think we are in line to fall off from last season is beyond me. Yeah we had some lucky breaks but we also showed how tough we are winning close games and we still won 10 games even after that miserable start.

Maybe I just have my aqua colored glasses on but I see this as the deepest and most balanced team that I can recall in my 33 years as a fins fan. Even if we can't throw like the Marino teams or defend like the Zach and JT teams we can do things in ALL areas unlike any of those teams could do.

On paper yeah there seems to be talent. I'd say this team is closer to the teams of the mid-90's more so than the teams of the early 00's.

In the 2000's the team was lead by the defense and although today's D is improving I don't see it being that dominant yet. This team will win and lose by the offense and it's production much the same as the mid 90's.

Last edited:
The window is definitely wide open for this team.

Miami has serious talent at wide receiver, especially if DaVante Parker can lift his game up a notch. Honestly, this has a chance to be the best group of wide receivers the Dolphins have ever had and that's saying something since Mark Clayton and Mark Duper were pretty good.

The front seven is still a question mark until proven otherwise, but looks a lot better on paper than last year.

The problem (?) with the team, as I see it, is that there is too much reliance on "potential". I think there needs to be one more year of Gase brewing the team, and for the potential to manifest.

Quite a change from just a short time ago. The only real problems could come from injuries.

Team is very talented on paper and has a really good year of experience under its belt. All those ST players that had to play regular D - our depth will be better for it. I think we are approaching that point of "it doesn't matter who you play" on sunday vs obsessing about matchups etc. We aren't there yet but getting there. I expect us to be competitive w a chance to win every week this year.

The problem (?) with the team, as I see it, is that there is too much reliance on "potential". I think there needs to be one more year of Gase brewing the team, and for the potential to manifest.
In my opinion the only problem is injuries. Pouncy is very prone for example

It's like the reverse of the 2003 era teams except our offense isn't s dominate and our defense is worse relative to how bad our offense was.

Offensive line is a huge question mark still. E refused to address the gapping holes at guard and while I think he might banking on a 5th round rookie to plug and play doesn't seem likely.

I would say the last time would be 1995.
This team should be very solid in all aspects with above average players in many positions. Also the coaching staff is putting the players in position to win.
That is a Shula hallmark.

I think this is the most talented team we've fielded in many years but we still have holes on both sides. This is the best offense we've had in as long as I can remember, but it also has a huge question mark on the entire interior of the OL as well as "potential" alpha in DVP.

On the defensive side, we're hoping Phillips has it together this year and that Howard and Lippett are going to continue to grow - and we still don't know whats going to happen in the slot.

So while I'm excited about our general direction and agree that this is the most talented squad we've had in over a decade, we're still not going into the season looking like a championship contender or a lock for the playoffs... overall, I'm quietly optimistic about our direction.

You ask this question after a few weeks of ball being played.

The Simm-Webb thing was silly. Neither interior guard spot was improved, it may actually be worse.

The WRs and TE, has question marks. And will Tannehill look opposite of Landry? Will Thomas inability to be available or lack of run blocking matter? Any consistency from Parker?
Defense. Will the back end be any better? Will the front four produce?

Last but not least, will Tannehill pick up where he left off? This team in JUNE has potential, the whole talent thing is abit silly, imo.

Back
Top Bottom