When was the last time we had more talent than this year's team? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

When was the last time we had more talent than this year's team?

On paper yeah there seems to be talent. I'd say this team is closer to the teams of the mid-90's more so than the teams of the early 00's.

In the 2000's the team was lead by the defense and although today's D is improving I don't see it being that dominant yet. This team will win and lose by the offense and it's production much the same as the mid 90's.

Agree with this. Our best shot to be a bonafide SB contender is the defense improving to somewhere around or above average and offense turning into the powerhouse that it seems primed for.

I like the post OP. We have alot of guys in their prime or about to hit it, with a year already under the belt with both o and d systems....timing is right to be optimistic.

1994 - our defense got a slew of first round defectors in free agency.

Blew up in their face as they underestimated how long it would take to get on the same page defensively.

And yet New England seems to have gotten better as well. Did the Fins do enough to catch up to them??????????

And yet New England seems to have gotten better as well. Did the Fins do enough to catch up to them??????????

I don't think anybody has done enough to catch up to New England. I mean they traded for Cooks at WR, signed Mike Gillislee to be their bruiser at RB, traded for TE Dwayne Allen, resign Hightower at LB, Butler on tag is bound to ball out, signed CB Stephon Gilmore. On paper only spot they got weaker at was T and that was with the release of Sebastian Vollmer but then again, he didn't play last season and they won a superbowl. All that in one offseason after winning a championship is.. well it's simply amazing. Miami's offense may be able to compete with them but defense wise, I highly doubt ready to stop Brady and company on regular basis.

jr73Y.gif

I don't think anybody has done enough to catch up to New England. I mean they traded for Cooks at WR, signed Mike Gillislee to be their bruiser at RB, traded for TE Dwayne Allen, resign Hightower at LB, Butler on tag is bound to ball out, signed CB Stephon Gilmore. On paper only spot they got weaker at was T and that was with the release of Sebastian Vollmer but then again, he didn't play last season and they won a superbowl. All that in one offseason after winning a championship is.. well it's simply amazing. Miami's offense may be able to compete with them but defense wise, I highly doubt ready to stop Brady and company on regular basis.

Bennett produced huge for the Pats last year. Don't think Dwayne Allen will match.

Gillislee is just a back.

Cooks, I'll give you.

Gilmore, meh

It's not as impressive as the Randy Moss offensive. Yet, people are saying they're going after the perfect record.

We'll see. We played them off the ball too much last year. TJ McDonald could pay off in spades against them, same for Tankersly, but we have to be able to play press to even have a chance.

Bennett produced huge for the Pats last year. Don't think Dwayne Allen will match.

Gillislee is just a back.

Cooks, I'll give you.

Gilmore, meh

It's not as impressive as the Randy Moss offensive. Yet, people are saying they're going after the perfect record.

We'll see. We played them off the ball too much last year. TJ McDonald could pay off in spades against them, same for Tankersly, but we have to be able to play press to even have a chance.

Gillislee I am not impressed with but he will fill the role of the power back paired with their other backs catching passes out of backfield. Gilmore I was eh about at first with the signing but the more time that passed, the more remembered BB will put his defense in spots to shine. No way in hell does Allen replace what Bennett brought to the team but Allen & Cooks combined will fit the niche nicely.

Are people really comparing them to that Moss team? We'll see how we match up this year & if we can go blow for blow with them but no way in hell do I think they will be like that Moss/Brady era team

Potentially I think you go back to the early 90's with our situation on paper...perhaps Shula's last season where we seemed stacked but stumbled to 9-7.

If the if's come thru...it could be an interesting year.

What I like is the large number of players that should reach maturity this season...players like Parker, Landry, Tunsil, James, Drake, Phillips, Lippett and Howard.

If the guards and Pouncey hold up the offense looks ready.

Defensively the D-line looks improved...the additions at linebacker appear to solidfy that unit. A healthy Jones, 9th week addition of McDonald, the development of the young corners appear to make th
is a defense capable of vast improvement over last season.

There is going to be a mad feeding frenzy o' free agents this year. Every team this year has to go from 90 something, to 53 in one cut. This team could use a nice extra DT and OG. Maybe a TE.

It's the most complete Dolphins team I've seen in a while...on paper.

I dunno, Iii don't know... I just feel like Nacho Libre in this scene where he is lying to those orphans about how great his life is compared to wrestlers.

Living in the AFC East has been like living in that monastery, and the Patriots are the wrestlers.

Defensively the D-line looks improved...the additions at linebacker appear to solidfy that unit. A healthy Jones, 9th week addition of McDonald, the development of the young corners appear to make th
is a defense capable of vast improvement over last season.

While I agree with the depth added that you mentioned, two things I get hung up on with the defense. First D-Cord and he is going to run the blueprint that VJ ran(I am sure by now everybody has seen SoS' posts and talk about the scheme, so I won't bring that up). Now don't get me wrong, love what Gase did in his first year and the oomph vibe he has brought to the franchise, just really wish he would fully follow the blue print that he has been following.. He learned from Saban, Saban and BB do the same thing concept wise of they are really smart on one side of the ball and they focus their efforts there(both are great defensive minds, while BB does some talking with Brady here and there but Saban is hands off on offense). Thing is, they hire great people/minds for the side of the ball they won't do much with, so Gase is great offensive mind and gave VJ the lead way with defense and the adjustments just didn't seem to be there(perhaps they were from scheme standpoint maybe, but results ehh). If he does the same this year and allows the D-Cord to run his ship his way with no real adjustments, may be some of the same results. When going to do the BB/Saban approach to staff, really need somebody that can adjust on the fly and hammer home their scheme, hopefully new guy can do it but I still get left with the upset stomach feeling knowing somebody like Wade P. was out there, he would have been perfect for this type of thing of "run your side of the ball, I am hands off." I think people quickly forget how much of an impact Vance had on our DBs, that is where I feel our D is going to falter if it crumbles.

With that said, only year 2 of Gase, so I am sure he has learned from last year and will improve on what he felt he could have done better, he can only grow from here.

Joe Vitt may be the guy on the defensive side who complements Burke in the same was as Clyde does Gase on the O.

Vitt is a grizzled tough D expert who won a SB with Payton's Saints. He should add a new dimension, maybe be the aggressive Yin to Burke's cerebral Yang.

on paper we are pretty good, I do still worry ... especially about depth on D. DT in particular is not pretty

Last edited:
I read today that we are still looking to bring in a nickel corner to compete for the starting spot. I think we also bring in a DT once we get to camp and the pads come on.

Back
Top Bottom