Where Do Our Coordinators Rank? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where Do Our Coordinators Rank?

BahamaFinFan78

Active Roster
Reaction score
In the NFL overall, how high do you think they rank?

Bonus question, who are the best offensive, defensive and special teams coordinators in the NFL?

Gase is really our O-coordinator right? I think he ranks high. He calls a good game and maximizes his talent / exploits mismatches well.

Burke hasn't coached a game yet so can't say yet.

I was never that impressed with Clyde Christensen at Indianapolis. I'd put him somewhere in the middle of the pack, but he obviously benefits by having Adam Gase in Miami. Christensen's best attribute seems to be his work in the passing game.

Darren Rizzi is probably in the top half of the league in terms of special teams. He is described as driven, much like Gase.

The question mark is Matt Burke as a new coordinator taking over for Vance Joseph. I'm hopeful that he's smart enough to make some changes from last years' scheme, especially in terms of the much discussed Wide 9 format.

Miami's defense was at its best last year in crucial spots, a tribute to Joseph who honestly didn't have much to work with at linebacker and a lot of new faces in the secondary.

I was never that impressed with Clyde Christensen at Indianapolis. I'd put him somewhere in the middle of the pack, but he obviously benefits by having Adam Gase in Miami. Christensen's best attribute seems to be his work in the passing game.

Darren Rizzi is probably in the top half of the league in terms of special teams. He is described as driven, much like Gase.

The question mark is Matt Burke as a new coordinator taking over for Vance Joseph. I'm hopeful that he's smart enough to make some changes from last years' scheme, especially in terms of the much discussed Wide 9 format.

Miami's defense was at its best last year in crucial spots, a tribute to Joseph who honestly didn't have much to work with at linebacker and a lot of new faces in the secondary.

Pretty much agree but I have a hunch Gase was, is, will continue to be the O-Cord, just allows somebody to sort through his mind of plays.

Didn't want to sidetrack but I am going to watch Denver play and see what VJ does with that defense now that Wade is gone(I mean damn, what Wade did for Rams defense in one game.. I drooled)

For a Philbin(no playcalling) style OC I think Christensen is a great choice.
I think he synergizes well with Gase. Adding veteran leadership, Manningisms..
If you want to be strict about it I would say top third but that only works in our specific situation.

I am not as sold on Burke though he has a wealth of experience for a young guy.
I think they did not anticipate Vance getting hired away this past year and likely expected a two year gig, but it had always been built in for Burke to take over.

I definitely like the model that Gase has brought in which is to develop your own guys instead of bringing in the best mercenary money can hire. Though in the short run we may suffer.

Pretty much agree but I have a hunch Gase was, is, will continue to be the O-Cord, just allows somebody to sort through his mind of plays.

Didn't want to sidetrack but I am going to watch Denver play and see what VJ does with that defense now that Wade is gone(I mean damn, what Wade did for Rams defense in one game.. I drooled)

Joseph did a pretty good job overall in Miami IMO considering the lack of talent on the defense. He got the team to play it's best when it counted the most. That said, I wasn't a huge fan of his scheme and, like you, am interested to see what he does with Denver's defense.

As far as Burke goes, if he doesn't deliver, I hope Gase is quick to go in another direction and put his mark on the defense. As much as Bellichick is considered a defensive guru, he has his imprint on all parts of the football team. Maybe that's a lot for any coach to live up to, but I hope Gase does the same.

This concept that Miami doesn't really have an Offensive Coordinator is total BS. Clyde Christensen is our OC and he appears to work well with Coach Gase. Believe it or not there is more to the job than just the game day play-calling. Besides, lots of other NFL teams that have their Head Coaches doing the play-calling - e.g. Sean Payton in New Orleans, Sean McVay at the LA Rams, Mike McCarthy in Green Bay, Andy Reid in KC, Jay Gruden in Washington, Bruce Arians with Arizona and on the Defensive side, Mike Zimmer for the Vikings.
I'm totally comfortable with Gase calling the plays because he's really good at it. I'm also totally comfortable with Christensen as his OC. He's heavily involved with all the planning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom