Where Do You Rank Tannehill among the QBs Drafted Over the Past 2 Years? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where Do You Rank Tannehill among the QBs Drafted Over the Past 2 Years?

AdamD13

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
The days of developing a QB on the bench are long gone unless there is a proven vet (Manning, Brady, etc…). Both 2011 and 2012 there have been seven QBs taken in the first 3 rounds. Heading into week one 10 of those QBs will be starting (five from each draft). Of course, Ryan Tannehill is part of this year’s crop.

I know it is early in their careers, but if you were a GM and had to rank these 14 QBs taken in the first 3 rounds the past two years how would you rank them? How far up the ladder would you put Tannehill?

Cam Newton
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder
Andy Dalton
Colin Kaepernick
Ryan Mallet

Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin III
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden
Brock Osweiler
Russell Wilson
Nick Foles

1. Cam Newton (Undefeated and National Championship at Auburn…35 TDs produced as rookie…most physically gifted QB ever?)
2. Andrew Luck (A close second. Best NFL prospect since another Stanford QB named John Elway according to most experts.)
3. Robert Griffin III (Probably throws the deep ball best of entire group. Definitely the fastest.)
4. Russell Wilson (All he did at Wisconsin last year was learn a new offense, get voted a team captain before playing a down, lead the nation in passing, and lead Wisconsin to the Rose Bowl. His dynamic play in preseason has earned him the starting job in Seattle over Matt Flynn.)
5. Colin Kaepernick (Hey, I am a Wolfpack alumni so I may be biased. Cannon of an arm. Worked on quickening his release. Deceptively fast thanks to long legs. Has a habit of 50+ yard TD runs. Showed this preseason if Harbaugh wants a high powered offense in SF “the Kapper” is a better option than Smith.)
6. Andy Dalton (Led Cincy to playoffs, but soft schedule had a lot to do with it imo. Having AJ Green as a WR doesn’t hurt either. Regardless of context, leading a team to the playoffs as a rookie is quite an accomplishment.)
7. Ryan Tannehill (Should have a big advantage over other rookie QBs having played under Sherman past 5 years. Learning to look off DBs instead of locking on to WRs will go a long way to his success in NFL. Can he last long enough for Miami to get play makers around him?)
8. Nick Foles (Looked very good this preseason. Then again, it seems “all” backup QBs look good playing for Andy Reid. Given Vick's inability to stay healthy all year could easily get quite a bit of playing time this year.)
9. Christian Ponder (One of the three big reaches in last year’s 1[SUP]st[/SUP] round. Nothing special. May develop to a top 15-20 QB before Vikings choose another option a couple of years down the road.)
10. Jake Locker (Not a big fan. Physically gifted, but just not accurate as a passer. Best year in college he only completed 58.2% of passes junior year. As a rookie completed a mere 51.5%. Will make some highlight plays by scrambling around in the pocket. Poor man's Fran Tarkenton?)
11. Blaine Gabbert (Looked overwhelmed last year. Looks better this preseason and Blackmon will help, but until proven on the field during regular season I won’t get that lost puppy dog look out of mind when thinking about Gabbert.)
12. Brandon Weeden (Based on preseason McCoy should still be the starter. Browns are forced to play Weeden given age, 29, and spending 1[SUP]st[/SUP] round pick on him.)
13. Brock Osweiler (If ranking for developing a basketball team he would be up top of the list. May some nice plays in preseason. Should have stayed at ASU for another year imo. But who else better to watch and learn from than Peyton Manning?)
14. Ryan Mallet (Except maybe Tom Brady…hasn’t been overly impressive in preseason. Good chance Mallet will spend his entire career as a backup.)

Looking at that list, I would put him third behind Newton and Luck. Of course, he hasn't played yet so It's really anyone's guess.

He's probably ranked 5-6. Colin Kaepernick is not above him. Come on now. Dude isn't even starting and probably never will.

I'm putting Luck, Griffin, Newton and Dalton above him (Newton and Dalton both have one season under them). And I will rank Ryan even with Russell Wilson.

Surprised you have Wilson ranked so high. I would have Wilson up that high or higher. I said before the draft that he would end up being a special player and winner in this league if given the chance. Russel Wilson is going to be what the Redskins wanted RG3 to be. He is going to be a stud. Having said that I also thought Weeden would have shown more at this point, but as for RT I think he has a chance to really have a great 3rd year. This is going to be a nightmare, Blaine Gabbert type of year with no weapons, and next year will be more about learning how to take advantage of the way the league is going to play him. But by 2014 I think we will have the pieces around him to make RT a solid QB for the next decade.

Ask this question in about 3 years when careers have a strong direction. By then you will know who's a bust and who's franchise

He's probably ranked 5-6. Colin Kaepernick is not above him. Come on now. Dude isn't even starting and probably never will.

I'm putting Luck, Griffin, Newton and Dalton above him (Newton and Dalton both have one season under them). And I will rank Ryan even with Russell Wilson.

:lol: I admit I may be bias. I assure you Kap7 looked a whole lot better than Tannehill this preseason both passing and running: 25/39, 297 yards, 2 TD, 0 int, 104.33 QB rating, 7 rushes for 122 yards, 1 TD.

Similar to the things said about Kap in college. All he did was become the only player to ever throw for 2,000 yards and rush for 1,000 yards 3 times. Only QB to have passed for over 10,000 yards and rushed for 4,000 in college career. One of three players to have 20 TD passing and 20 rushing same season (Tebow, Newton). Tied with Eric Crouch for most rushing TDs (59) in career for QB.

Don't be surprised when given the opportunity...

The bad thing is that this year's QB's haven't really played yet so you have to go by draft rankings to an extent. I had them ranked as:

1) Luck
2) Weeden
3) Tannehill
4) Wilson
5) Griffin

I would probably just based on preseason move Weeden behind Tannehill and maybe Wilson. Then you throw in the guys who have actually played and it's a toss up.

I think Dalton has already hit his ceiling and may dip a bit as defenses figure him out more. Plus he is in a brutal division.

The bad thing is that this year's QB's haven't really played yet so you have to go by draft rankings to an extent. I had them ranked as:

1) Luck
2) Weeden
3) Tannehill
4) Wilson
5) Griffin

I would probably just based on preseason move Weeden behind Tannehill and maybe Wilson. Then you throw in the guys who have actually played and it's a toss up.

Why so low for Griffin?

Had...Luck, RG3, Wilson, Tannehill, Foles...nothing in preseason has really changed that, except Wilson may be better than Griffin. Still not sure the "special" everyone seems to have seen in Weeden.

This is a fun game. Not sure if you want us to rank them according to how they look to us now or at the time they were drafted. But I'll include what we know to this point.

1. Andrew Luck - Golden boy.
2. Cam Newton - Nothing but success.
3. Russell Wilson - Has only one negative. Big fan of his. Knew he'd end up starter sooner than later.
4. RG3 - So many skills, but there's a potential to bust. Has shown a lot of flaws in preseason.
5. Andy Dalton - Red Rifle is for real. Maybe limited ceiling, but definite starter.
6. Ryan Tannehill - Our golden boy. Wish he had more talent around him to speed development. Talent to move near top of this list.
7. Nick Foles - Philly's system makes every QB look good, but Foles had real talent coming in.
8. Colin Kaepernick - Liked him in the draft. If his throwing motion is straightened out only a matter of time till he starts in SF.
9. Christian Ponder - Meh.
10. Jake Locker - He's looked better than I expected, but accuracy still isn't there and may never be.
11. Ryan Mallett - That arm with the grooming he's getting. It would be hard for even him to **** it up.
12. Blaine Gabbert - A draftnik illusion.
13. Brandon Weeden - Never a believer. Doesn't have the luxury not to be good immediately.
14. Brock Osweiler- Straight garbage. Elway in the FO will sink that franchise.

Why so low for Griffin?

Had...Luck, RG3, Wilson, Tannehill, Foles...nothing in preseason has really changed that, except Wilson may be better than Griffin. Still not sure the "special" everyone seems to have seen in Weeden.

I've never been that high on Griffin. He bails out of the pocket way too easily, he doesn't play to his size, and other than his deep ball he still has a lot to work on mechanically. I feel like he got artificially pushed up as a prospect due to Cam Newton's success last year despite the fact that he is nowhere close to Newton as a prospect. He's more of a project than any of those guys. Russell Wilson, for example, would have been a top ten pick if he were three inches taller. Tannehill's only real knock was lack of experience (although he did start more games than Dirty Sanchez), and Weeden has elite physical tools but is more advanced age-wise than you would care for. Luck is the only QB in this that didn't have some sort of glaring flaw in his game.

Andrew Luck
Cam Newton
Ryan Mallet
Colin Kaepernick
Robert Griffin III
Jake Locker
Brandon Weeden
Ryan Tannehill
Brock Osweiler (this QB would have been my pick this season, I'd sit him at least a season without even discussing it and let Moore etc play caretaker while we build)

1) Luck. Absolutely nothing wrong with him, best prospect to hit the NFL since Elway.
2) Newton. Any concerns over him were off the field. Now that theyve been answered this guy is a champion, he will win a Superbowl.
3) Ponder. Extremely underrated. Great arm, great legs, and most importantly great football mind. If he doesnt get David Carr'd, he will be a top 10 quarterback. Very injury prone, but i usually give that a mulligan as quarterbacks shouldnt be hit.
4) Weeden. Can make all the throws and seems to have fairly good vision. Will get the crap kicked out of him this season, but next season should improve.
5) Griffen. Matched up with the perfect coach, Shanahan will build that offense around Griffen. Can make all the throws, really nice deep ball. Some of the off the field immaturity concerns me(not criminal or even Chad Johnson, but i recall discussions about him throwing teammates under the bus while at Baylor).
6) Tannehill. I had no opinion on him leading up to the draft, and in the preseason he has made a bunch of mistakes. But, his composure in the pocket and ability to seemlessly bounce back has impressed me alot. He will struggle, if not suck this year, but i love his mentality, which is the hardest part to being a NFL QB.
7) Dalton. Love this guys game, but i have real concerns over his ability to sustain success. Will probably jump higher up on the list next season.
8) Wilson. Have no opinion on him whatsoever and havent watched a Seahawks game. But by all accounts hes killing it. Will certainly jump higher during the season, just very neutral to him at this moment.
9) Mallet. Was the best pure thrower in last years draft. Played an acceptable preseason in Josh McDaniels "lets see how many qb's i can injury" scheme. Will be traded in the next season or two for picks.
10) Gabbert. Despised him leading up to the draft, havent seen much to improve that. Mularkey can make decent quarterbacks play well, and good quarterbacks play very good, but ive yet to see him make a bad quarterback great. Gabbert will improve measurably, but not nearly enough.
11) Locker. Have Gabbert ranked above him, that should be telling. Has never been consistent, playing him over Hasselbeck is a mistake.
12) Foles. Flawed prospect that will have decent success this season(after Vick is injured) in Reids qb friendly system. A year from now the Eagles will rip off some poor team in a trade for him and everyone will laugh.
13) Kaepernick. Just dont see it in any way, shape, or form. Always thought he had a slow wind-up and got away with alot because he can rocket the ball. Think alot will be exposed in the NFL.
14) Osweiler. Ha. That is all.

was not to impressed with last years crop except newton.dalton showed some flashes but we shall see when he faces better teams this year.
as far as this years draft i would really like to say rt is right after luck then rgiii

Back
Top Bottom