Where would we stand if... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where would we stand if...

dolfan87

The Human Bullet
Reaction score
Jay Fiedler, Brian Griese, James McKnight, Derrius Thompson, Tim Ruddy, and Sam Madison are cut?

Does that bring us under the cap? If it saves us more money to release guys after 6/1, then use that figure.

Originally posted by dolfan87
Jay Fiedler, Brian Griese, James McKnight, Derrius Thompson, Tim Ruddy, and Sam Madison are cut?

Does that bring us under the cap? If it saves us more money to release guys after 6/1, then use that figure.

if u read this thread - http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29724 - there is some info though nothing on Jay.

Madison w/kill us in 2004 for the cap, so if at all he w/have to be cut after 6/1

Hate to refer to another site but according to this:
http://www.thefinforum.com/SiteContent/Content/SalaryCap2.htm

We only have to cut Griese, Fiedler, & Ruddy to be slightly less than a million over the cap. Restructuring Zach & Madison's contracts should save us about $5M this year plus we have the option of cutting McKnight or Thompson, Perry, & David Bowens. Our cap situation looks good.

With the Top 51 filled, RW's salary increase of $1.1 million, and an approx. $1.25 million "cap adjustment", I have the Fins over by approx. $13 million. (This is different from the cap page because some of the bonuses listed do not count vs cap until exercised.....I will be correcting it this weekend).

You asked what the status was if the following players were released"

Fielder: saves approx. $1.8 million (the $2 million option does not presently count vs cap until exercised)

Griese: saves approx. $6.2 million

McKnight: saves approx. $1.2 million

Thompson: saves approx. $800,000

Ruddy: saves approx. $1.97 million

Madison: saves approx. $1.8 million

All above have been adjusted for top 51 rule

That totals $13.8 million and would result in about breaking even....however, you have no starting QB, no viable #2 WR, still need cap space to tender RFAs and EFAs, and for FA.

I will be finishing up my article about yer cap situation this weekend and I will explain in detail what some possible solutions are for the Fins. Hey, if Dan Marino can do it, why not me :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by SMadison29
Hate to refer to another site but according to this:
http://www.thefinforum.com/SiteContent/Content/SalaryCap2.htm

We only have to cut Griese, Fiedler, & Ruddy to be slightly less than a million over the cap. Restructuring Zach & Madison's contracts should save us about $5M this year plus we have the option of cutting McKnight or Thompson, Perry, & David Bowens. Our cap situation looks good.

The Bills, Ravens, Cards, etc......those teams that DO NOT need to release players, restructure, ask players for pay cuts AGAIN, have good cap situations. Miami does not have a good cap situation

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet

Fielder: saves approx. $1.8 million (the $2 million option does not presently count vs cap until exercised)

Care to explain that???

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
With the Top 51 filled,

Ruddy: saves approx. $1.97 million

Madison: saves approx. $1.8 million

All above have been adjusted for top 51 rule

Until just recently we didn't have 51 players signed. I just changed for that but the numbers are not up yet.

There are two differences. I have Ruddy getting a roster bonus of $500k. Madison we have discussed before and disagree on his prorated bonus amount. As for Fiedler I would like to hear why you think his option bonus is not part of team salary until it is exercised.

You have to account for the roster bonuses now because they count against our cap in 04 unless we release them.

That may not be entirely true. I have learned recently that some roster bonuses do not count unless exercised while others do, like Zach Thomas' in 2004. It's a new revelation that I've learned while exploring on how Drew Bledsoe's $7 million November bonus count vs Bills cap in 2004. BTW: His option bonus does not count vs cap at this time

Originally posted by SMadison29
You have to account for the roster bonuses now because they count against our cap in 04 unless we release them.

I do have all bonuses on the cap page counting. I'm reviewing whether a few of them count (Fielder, T. Bowens)

Back
Top Bottom