Which Dolphin FA loss will hurt the most?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jetsh8r, Jun 29, 2014.

1. jetsh8r

jetsh8r A True Fan

I think Dimitri Patterson will be our biggest loss. I understand the argument that he was hurt last year, but if he is healthy this year then the Jets get a starting corner and a hell of a play maker. I'm hoping he doesn't see the field this year, especially against us.

2. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

probably Carroll or Patterson.

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

I could also say big paul but we have depth on the line

3. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

They don't play the Jets until December 1st, odds are he won't be healthy

4. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

As highly as I thought of Patterson, the honest truth with him is, he just could not stay healthy to help the team, I believe the biggest loss will be Soliai. Miami's defense I believe will be really good this year against the pass, unfortunatly the same can not be said against the run, which will be a huge question mark.

5. sharp

sharp Scout Team

Thought Patterson was awesome but he won't hurt the most for us because he didn't play often enough

6. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

I liked Pattersons play when he actually played. I know Finnegan is coming off of injury but Patterson seems to just get banged up constantly, Finnegan didn't have any injury issues previously so that gives me much more hope for him. Plus don't underestimate just how badly our defense needed an "injection of emotion" as coyle put it.

As for the biggest loss, soliai was the best player we lost but he has a good replacement. Clemons I think must be it, we know nothing about if delmas can stay healthy. Then after that it's a real crap shoot. There really wasn't many substantial losses to FA this year.

Sent from my *** using Tapatalk

7. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Hmm biggest free agent loss by far will be Solai. Although we do have three starting level Dt's still here. Not sure why we keep spending most of the money on DL and ignoring OL holes.
    I don't think its a devastating loss but not a huge fan of the guy we signed to replace him for that money. Clemons might be a guiy we miss.

8. eightyone81

eightyone81 Well-Known Member

Soliai by far! i already miss big paul

9. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Incognito?

10. KPDolfan24

KPDolfan24 Active Member

Carroll was solid and starting to play good and we let him go smh. As much as I liked big Paul randy Starks and earl Mitchell will be just fine which is why I feel we won't miss Paul that much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

Keller. I know he didn't play last year but with Clay and Keller on the field we could have so many options that Lazor could work with, that we would have been hard to stop. I would be happy to see them bring him back. Seems Lazor wants TEs that can block well and Keller doesn't fit the bill or isn't healthy one or the other.

12. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Soliai. Earl Mitchell has done nothing to date that says he can play at Soliai level. Nothing.

13. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I'm happy enough with all the FAs we let go, to be honest. I think we could have signed better FAs to fill some of the spots (corner and guard in particular), but I'm not unhappy with the decisions made to cut the guys we did.

14. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Nolan Carroll. He should never have got out of the building. He improved every year and was a big contributor, last season. Also interesting to note the report that he is impressing the coaches in Philadelphia with a great start.
    I'm rooting for Dennis Hickey to succeed, but I think he grossly underestimated Carroll.

15. Loui F Baby

Loui F Baby Active Member

Dimitri Patterson, even though he did not play much. With the luck that the Dolphins have, this would be the year that he stays healthy. When he played for us, I was all over YouTube trying to figure out who this guys was.

16. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

There was strong demand for Earl Mitchell's services. We were competing against a string of other teams and he got signed relatively early (and he got pretty well paid for limited game experience too). While he hasn't done much to date, it's a good sign when lots of teams are knocking his door down to sign him. About 5 years ago teams were knocking down the door to sign an undrafted DE from the CFL named Cam Wake and we got lucky. Market demand is a very good indicator.

17. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I'm gonna say Clemons. He played well but, just as importantly, was the QB of the DB's in getting them in the right positions. I don't see anyone else with that ability. Hope I'm wrong.

18. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

Would have loved to keep a healthy Patterson(which he wasn't) That one might come back to haunt us.

19. dobrasz54

dobrasz54 Scout Team Finheaven VIP Donator

You guys are all crazy. J-Mart by a long shot will hurt us the most!!

20. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Soliai ended up in a city that is no cupcake. He was also paid very nicely.

So I guess market demand for Paul is also a very good indicator of his worth.

21. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I really liked Solia but, his best value was playing NT on a 3-4 team. Mitchell did not look very good vs the run last year but that will happen to a 295 pound guy trying to play NT when he's 30 pounds too light. I expect him to play much better at DT, and surprise many Phans.

22. MikeO

MikeO Premium Member Donator

He was always hurt and never played. Can't miss something you never really had

23. Digital

Digital Starter

This.

Soliai was a monster that demanded a double team any time a team ran up the middle. In the pass rush he commanded a double team as well. Most people do not realize how vital that is for freeing up our gap penetrator DT's and fast DE's to rush the passer or stuff the run. It also kept our MLB clean to make tackles.

Mitchell is another gap penetrator DT. He is being lined up to take Starks' place. Without Soliai, OL can double any of those gap penetrators and neutralize their quickness and take them out of the play.

Some teams we could slow down last year will run it down our throats this year. No Disrespect to Mitchell, but we will miss Paul Soliai more than our other losses.

24. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I do get what you are saying but, Soliai was much worse vs the run in 2012, while the team was much better. IMO, it comes down to the LB play. IF Misi is a beast in the middle, and Ellerbe and Wheeler remember how to play, we will be much improved vs the run. IF not, we are in trouble.

25. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I don't think Ellerbee and Wheeler forgot how to play more a case of them being judged on the one good year as opposed to the rest of their career which was far from stellar

26. So Be

So Be A True Fan

IMO, if a player is able to play well one year he should be able to do the same again. We shall see.

27. jetsh8r

jetsh8r A True Fan

I agree Soliai's loss will be felt the most, but I think the player that leaves us and has a monster season is Patterson.

28. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

shouldn't a player be more judged on the sum of their body of work instead of the one season though.
    Ellerbee struggled to break the starting lineup over MclAin o any of the outside backers in Balt for years, Wheeler the previous year was passed over by us after a tryout but yet he was somehow good because he played solid one season.
    Its about consistency.

29. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

He stays injured and to this point has never had a monster season so I wouldn't bet on it. Anything is possible. I think he just fit in our scheme very well. He has played many plays where he did not fit in scheme or did not play well.

30. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Soliai will hurt this year

But carroll will be the biggest loss long term

31. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

If Patterson is healthy all year in 2014 then that isn't Miami's fault. He's never been 100% healthy all year. If the Jets luck out and he's not ever on the injury list, good for them.

32. Atila

Atila Atila - the freshmaker. Finheaven VIP

As much as I thought Chris Clemons was unspectacular, I thought he was above average for us last year and had his best year. He was definitely the better of our two safeties. I think we'll miss his conservative approach as Reshad Jones is frequently gambling and Delmas might not be the type of player to balance Jones' style. Hope I'm wrong!

33. crumpdaddy

crumpdaddy Scout Team Finheaven VIP

dunno if hayden was serious or not, but despite being a black eye for team, talent wise man ill miss cogs. but if I cant go for a player that somewhat hurt team ill go with. ummm, hmmm Nolan.

34. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Not sure how anyone can bemoan the loss of Patterson. He played good in a limited amount of games but overall throughout his career he has been the very definition of a journeyman player.
    He has now been cut from like 5 teams in the league including us. His cap number was not so bad we could not have kept him. They decided to move on since he is never healthy.

35. hoops

hoops exited stage left

solia...unless dion jordans impact as a pass rusher can offset

36. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Just put him in shorts and he will have an impact

37. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Soliai is clearly our biggest loss.

As far as FA regrets, losing Soliai and failing to sing a RT in FA are my top 2.

38. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

Soliai is a great player....in a 3-4 NT role. But as a 1 gap DT in a 4-3, he's been very average. He will be missed but I don't think his absence will be as noticeable as some here think. He only played in 45% of the snaps last year, and while that's a significant amount, I feel that loss can be negated by giving Starks and Odrick a few more snaps - who I feel are better in Coyle's defense anyway.

I think out biggest loss will be at CB, where we let a few vets get away in Patterson and Carroll, who signed cheap contracts with other teams. I think we can count on one of our current CB locks to be injured at some point - Grimes, Finnegan, Taylor have all had serious injuries in the last 2 years. When that injury happens, we are looking at Will Davis or Jimmy Wilson playing the nickle CB.

39. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

It's a mistake to dismiss the importance of a run-stuffing NT/DT in a 4-3. Looking at the best 4-3 D in the league, Seattle has a few wide-bodied guys they can play at NT in the Under. After them, you have D's like the Bengals (Peko), St. Louis (Brockers), Carolina (struggled until they drafted Lotulelei), and Buffalo (Dareus).

I'm including St. Louis because their defensive woes can be attributed to the secondary.

40. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

I'm not sure any will be greatly missed...Soliai is the number 1 candidate.

Patterson?...Its like I told a Jets friend of mine.....if he stays healthy for once, you got a very good player. But, I wouldn't bet on that happening.