Which Dolphin FA loss will hurt the most? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Which Dolphin FA loss will hurt the most?

Soliai. Earl Mitchell has done nothing to date that says he can play at Soliai level. Nothing.
There was strong demand for Earl Mitchell's services. We were competing against a string of other teams and he got signed relatively early (and he got pretty well paid for limited game experience too). While he hasn't done much to date, it's a good sign when lots of teams are knocking his door down to sign him. About 5 years ago teams were knocking down the door to sign an undrafted DE from the CFL named Cam Wake and we got lucky. Market demand is a very good indicator.

I'm gonna say Clemons. He played well but, just as importantly, was the QB of the DB's in getting them in the right positions. I don't see anyone else with that ability. Hope I'm wrong.

Would have loved to keep a healthy Patterson(which he wasn't) That one might come back to haunt us.

There was strong demand for Earl Mitchell's services. We were competing against a string of other teams and he got signed relatively early (and he got pretty well paid for limited game experience too). While he hasn't done much to date, it's a good sign when lots of teams are knocking his door down to sign him. About 5 years ago teams were knocking down the door to sign an undrafted DE from the CFL named Cam Wake and we got lucky. Market demand is a very good indicator.

Soliai ended up in a city that is no cupcake. He was also paid very nicely.

So I guess market demand for Paul is also a very good indicator of his worth.

Soliai ended up in a city that is no cupcake. He was also paid very nicely.

So I guess market demand for Paul is also a very good indicator of his worth.

I really liked Solia but, his best value was playing NT on a 3-4 team. Mitchell did not look very good vs the run last year but that will happen to a 295 pound guy trying to play NT when he's 30 pounds too light. I expect him to play much better at DT, and surprise many Phans.

I think Dimitri Patterson will be our biggest loss. I understand the argument that he was hurt last year, but if he is healthy this year then the Jets get a starting corner and a hell of a play maker. I'm hoping he doesn't see the field this year, especially against us.

He was always hurt and never played. Can't miss something you never really had

Soliai. Earl Mitchell has done nothing to date that says he can play at Soliai level. Nothing.
This.

Soliai was a monster that demanded a double team any time a team ran up the middle. In the pass rush he commanded a double team as well. Most people do not realize how vital that is for freeing up our gap penetrator DT's and fast DE's to rush the passer or stuff the run. It also kept our MLB clean to make tackles.

Mitchell is another gap penetrator DT. He is being lined up to take Starks' place. Without Soliai, OL can double any of those gap penetrators and neutralize their quickness and take them out of the play.

Some teams we could slow down last year will run it down our throats this year. No Disrespect to Mitchell, but we will miss Paul Soliai more than our other losses.

This.

Soliai was a monster that demanded a double team any time a team ran up the middle. In the pass rush he commanded a double team as well. Most people do not realize how vital that is for freeing up our gap penetrator DT's and fast DE's to rush the passer or stuff the run. It also kept our MLB clean to make tackles.

Mitchell is another gap penetrator DT. He is being lined up to take Starks' place. Without Soliai, OL can double any of those gap penetrators and neutralize their quickness and take them out of the play.

Some teams we could slow down last year will run it down our throats this year. No Disrespect to Mitchell, but we will miss Paul Soliai more than our other losses.

I do get what you are saying but, Soliai was much worse vs the run in 2012, while the team was much better. IMO, it comes down to the LB play. IF Misi is a beast in the middle, and Ellerbe and Wheeler remember how to play, we will be much improved vs the run. IF not, we are in trouble.

I do get what you are saying but, Soliai was much worse vs the run in 2012, while the team was much better. IMO, it comes down to the LB play. IF Misi is a beast in the middle, and Ellerbe and Wheeler remember how to play, we will be much improved vs the run. IF not, we are in trouble.

I don't think Ellerbee and Wheeler forgot how to play more a case of them being judged on the one good year as opposed to the rest of their career which was far from stellar

I don't think Ellerbee and Wheeler forgot how to play more a case of them being judged on the one good year as opposed to the rest of their career which was far from stellar

IMO, if a player is able to play well one year he should be able to do the same again. We shall see.

I agree Soliai's loss will be felt the most, but I think the player that leaves us and has a monster season is Patterson.

IMO, if a player is able to play well one year he should be able to do the same again. We shall see.

shouldn't a player be more judged on the sum of their body of work instead of the one season though.
Ellerbee struggled to break the starting lineup over MclAin o any of the outside backers in Balt for years, Wheeler the previous year was passed over by us after a tryout but yet he was somehow good because he played solid one season.
Its about consistency.

I agree Soliai's loss will be felt the most, but I think the player that leaves us and has a monster season is Patterson.

He stays injured and to this point has never had a monster season so I wouldn't bet on it. Anything is possible. I think he just fit in our scheme very well. He has played many plays where he did not fit in scheme or did not play well.

Soliai will hurt this year

But carroll will be the biggest loss long term

Back
Top Bottom