Which draft scenario is most appealing to you?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by AFCMiamiEast, Apr 7, 2013.

?

Which player of the 3 would you be most intrigued if drafted? If not, explain other.

1. Trade up for CB Dee Milliner (Swap of 1sts and one 2nd rounder)

13 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. Trade up for OT Lane Johnson (Swap of 1sts and one 2nd rounder)

14 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. Draft WR Tavon Austin at 12

32 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. Other

49 vote(s)
    45.4%
  1. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

Teams picking inside the top 8 are not going to be interested in finding a trade partner picking outside the top 15. The Miami Dolphins are sitting pretty with the 12 selection, and have an enticing pick that teams inside the top 8 would be intrigued to swap for in a situation where Miami would trade up for a BPA. I can see us drafting one of two exceptional players in a situation where we trade up. Let's get to the three draft options that sound the most appealing to me:

1) Trade up and swap our 12th pick for a top 7 pick, as well as trading one of our 2nds and possibly a 4th to gain CB Dee Milliner.

2) Trade up and swap our 12 pick for a top 7 pick, as well as trading one of our 2nds and possibly a 4th to gain OT Lane Johnson.

3) Last, and definitely not least, stay put at the 12th selection and draft Tavon Austin.

The LT position is arguably this team's biggest need going into the draft, but there is a troublesome statistic that may deter the average fan from being on board with yet another 1st round OL selection. This team is currently recovering from a franchise worst, 4 consecutive losing seasons. Under these four seasons, the team has drafted an offensive linemen 1st overall, 15th overall, 42nd overall, and in the 3rd round. You can blame past coaching staffs for the lack of success on the line after such high investments, or you can devalue the offensive line has a whole, and make the argument that the team is more devoid of play making talent at WR and CB.

However, here is what Mike Mayock had to say of Lane Johnson while at the combine:
    Lane Johnson is an exact fit for the athletic linemen that coach Phlibin is looking for to fit in his ZBS. With the new talent at receiver and tight end brought in through free agency, Tannehill will possibly be facing even more of a set back from his offensive linemen this year than last, and will need a capable OL to have plays downfield develop. OT Lane Johnson is a viable option for Miami to trade up for.

Alabama's Dee Milliner is also a very intriguing option. The popular consensus seems to have Miami drafting FSU's Xavier Rhodes at 12. I would be far from pleased if that plan materialized, and believe trading up for the more explosive player in Milliner is a much more thorough strategy. Pairing him up with one of the best DBs in the league in Brent Grimes (hoping he sees a 100% recovery), could prove deadly for opposing offenses. The Miami Dolphins secondary would feature a very exceptional group of players in Dee Milliner, Brent Grimes, Reshad Jones, and Chris Clemons.

Most corners in this draft would not be expected to become the shutdown corner teams are looking for year 1, but Dee Milliner is as NFL ready as they come. Any pick taken inside the top 10 should be expected to make big contributions as a starter in his rookie season. There is nothing about Dee Milliner that leads me to believe otherwise.

Last, but certainly not least is the option of sitting still at pick #12 and drafting Tavon Austin, arguably the most explosive, and athletic player in this draft. Period. It's widely accepted around the league that Mike Wallace is the most elite, burner WR in the game today. Tavon Austin proved that he can be just as fast, if not even faster than Mike Wallace throughout his collegiate career and the NFL combine. He ran the best 40 yard dash out of any receiver in the draft, and by significant margin. Adding world class speed to the offense would benefit 2nd year QB Ryan Tannehill tremendously in deep ball situations, as he was already one of the league's best last season with Brian Hartline, who has 4.60 speed.

He is not the mismatch teams are looking for in a player inside the red zone, but standing at 5'8, Austin's speed and body control will separate him from any other receiver in the draft. With the Miami Dolphins signing the fastest receiver in the NFL in Mike Wallace, having the option to draft potentially the same caliber player in Tavon Austin in the same off season could be epic.

2. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

Trade down.

3. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

Trade down for who...?

4. madridfinfan

madridfinfan Rookie

I'd trade down for eifert, trufant, possibly carredine.

5. Ruckus45

Ruckus45 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Wow, Id rather go with neither. Trading up in a deep draft isn't wise. It means you lose out on guys in the 2nd round who are really just about as good on paper as guys in the mid/later first round. Trading down gives you more picks in the 2nd which will give us more opportunities for successful players and hedge our bets. If I had to trade up for either Milliner or Johnson id be equally ok with that.

Staying put for Tavon Austin is just a fins fan man crush. Im not going to start up all the reasons why Austin is not worth a #12 pick for our team again because I am sure there will be dozens after who will do that also. If we traded down and picked up Austin 20+ so we could address the other positions we need in the 2nd then Id be more ok with him. Other than that, he is a waste of a 12 for the Fins.

6. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

How often have we traded down? How often has it yielded us viable players? How often has it cost us?

7. Pinkboy

Pinkboy A True Fan

Didn't even look, because...

The option with the most playmakers

wins games

PERIOD

8. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

The options were trade up for 2 specific players or stand for a specific player. None of those are what I'd do. Players from 10-20 are very similar, so I'd trade down and target someone like Eifert, Werner, or Trufant/Rhodes if they were to drop, maybe a WR like Allen. How much our habits in the past have been successful is a completely moot point. Just because you draft a star in one draft doesn't mean anything next draft, same for failure. So what Miami did dropping back in the past doesn't mean anything if they did the same in this one.

Let's be clear here, there are no standout, superstar quality players in this draft, no Julio Jones, no Joe Thomas, no Matt Stafford. The entire top 10 is good but anyone could go anywhere.

9. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

Don't just bash a player without any reasoning behind it. Why is Austin not worth the 12th overall pick?

10. Ruckus45

Austin is not worth the 12 pick TO US because he is undersized, doesnt address any of our needs, and not a consistent 3 down player. Out of a 12 you at very minimum want a guy who plays 3 downs almost every series. At most you want a guy who will start for you for 5 years with a few pro bowl appearances. You also don't address him at 12 TO US because we just resigned Hartline, and signed Gibson and Wallace to address the WR position. We also still have positions of need we tried to resign but didn't get done that can be addressed by guys at 12 who will come in and start 3 downs with a potential for elite status over time.

This pick isn't about emotion, it's about our needs being met by some really good players at 12. Tavon Austin isn't that guy.

11. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Carradine, Patterson, Austin, Eifert . . .

12. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

We need a great player. I would take Austin. That's my best guess. I don't want to get cute, taking some lineman in the first round in hopes that a guy who somewhat resembles Austin will still be available in the second or third. Get him in camp and the resemblance will be mostly make believe.

Austin is going to run past people, and around them. I place great value in that. There's not a lot of guesswork. With plenty of other guys it's a projection whether they can cover, or block, at the same level of effectiveness in the NFL. The hits are touted and the misses ignored.

I don't like the way the NFL has evolved but I accept it. Austin fits.

13. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I'm just iffy on Jonathan Martin at LT. I loved Martin at Stanford, but was somewhat disappointed by his play at RT last season for the Dolphins. I realize he was a rookie and can improve, but if he can't play at a high enough level all the gains made on the offensive side of the football won't matter much. I guess the team can still trade for Albert and put him at LT, but I don't know where Miami is in those negotiations.

So while I would love to stay put and get Eifert, Austin, Carradine etc., I think it makes sense to move up for Lane Johnson. It might be hard to do, though, because so many teams ahead of Miami have needs at tackle.

14. j-off-her-doll

You're wrong when you say Austin doesn't address any of our needs. We are still in dire need of play makers, and we're in need of a guy who can dominate the middle of a football field. Austin is a perfect fit, because the combination of he and Wallace would give D's fits. Wallace stretches out a D as well as anyone, and Austin is as dynamic in space as anyone.

15. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

I don't understand how people neglect the fact that even though we bolstered the receiving corps through free agency, it's far from exceptional. We need more explosiveness outside Wallace, and we would have TWO world class speedsters/burners on the same squad if we drafted Austin. Wallace is widely regarded as the NFL's best elite deep threat, and fastest receiver. Tavon Austin may be even faster.

16. BigNastyDB13

BigNastyDB13 A True Fan

In a perfect world we take Austin 12 and trade back up into the 1st round and grab Trufant. The rest of the draft would be gravy for me.

17. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

Do not want to trade up and I think Austin is overvalued.

18. Ruckus45

He doesn't address any of our NEEDS, although he could very well address WANTS. We brought in Wallace, Keller, and Gibson to fill much needed voids. Don't forget, those three guys had 4x as many TDs as our WRs last year. Sure, they could improve still but we still have other NEEDS. Also, a 5'7" 175lb guy will not dominate the middle of an NFL football field. Maybe college not nfl.

For example - OL. Ireland has never hit a home run on OL outside the first round. Pouncey is turning into a home run and Long was until injuries. Even injured he was still really good. Outside round 1 you have Jerry who is barely serviceable and Martin who is a question mark. So, with 5 plug and play starting OL players that will be taken in the first 15 why not address an area of need with a great player?

Don't like OL? What about TE? Eifert is looking like he'll be a really good pro. Trade down a couple and take him while picking up extra 2nd or 3rd rd picks. You then have the big seam target for Tanne and more picks in round two to add depth or starters. He could dominate the middle more than Austin.

Still don't like TE or OL? Well, could use a pass rusher opposite Wake. Lots of good options should fall to us at 12.

He about CB? We have two starters coming off injury. Might be a more prudent idea.

Look, I like the Austin kid but don't think he works for us at 12. My early mocks had him in rd 2 before his stock really rose. I just think we have bigger needs now than a luxury, and that should make sense. We won 7 games last year with Hartline as a 1 and Fasano as the pass catching TE. With Wallace in the mix as well as Keller and Gibson plus having Bess back and healthy I would say our WRs are much improved for this year and not a NEED

19. Finfan13154

Finfan13154 Active Member

I agree. We have resigned hartline, picked up Wallace and Gibson. I do believe we add another WR in the draft but it won't be at 12. We need to fill bigger holes at 12. I believe it should be OT, CB or DE. no other position. We need to fill one of those needs at 12 and they need to be our starter.

20. j-off-her-doll

Welker doesn't dominate the middle of the field? Is it because of that 1/2 inch he has on Austin? When we're talking about comparable players for Miami's offense, the closest example is R. Cobb. Cobb is an inch and a half taller and about 15 lbs heavier. In every other way, Austin blows him out of the water. Quicker, faster, more skilled as a WR, more dynamic as a runner, already has shown the knack for working the middle of the field (not too much projection there). When you're making a list of needs, the top one should be: We need to add players that make us more dynamic. The GM's job is not to have the roster with the fewest areas that need improvement; his job is to put together the team that will win the most games. You win games by fielding teams that can make dynamic plays. We still NEED more dynamic players on offense. Austin will help this Miami team win more games than will Lane Johnson. And I like Johnson a lot as a player.

Eifert is debatable. I had Eifert in front of Austin for most of this off season, but I think Austin is the more special talent. Because of his combination of intelligence, speed, quickness, and strength (don't sleep on his strength), he's able to do things from the slot that are unfair. He's the biggest match up problem in the draft (Patterson could eventually pass him).

Bottom line, I can empathize with people who are reluctant toward Austin. I was reluctant for a long time. At some point, though, he was just too good, and he made too much sense for us. Currently, I have Carradine and Patterson ahead of Austin (for my option at 12), but Austin is really on Patterson's heels. Safer pick.

Also, aside from Wallace all of our WR's are mediocre, and I don't think you can win anything significant with just one WR who isn't mediocre. So, again, he does address a major need. Also makes the Hartline signing not as bad, because he can give us the explosiveness in the slot that Hartline lacks opposite Wallace.

21. fast ed

fast ed Member

Mistake. Pick #12 should be "game changer". Tackles are not. tight ends seldom. Way to conservative. T. Austin one of a kind. We can fill our other needs with our 4 picks in next two rounds.

22. Pinkboy

Pinkboy A True Fan

You only say that because it's been forever since the Dolphins have had a good tight end. In fact, the history of the past 20 or so years is crap at the position.

You don't even know what it feels like to have a great TE on your team. You only know how difficult it is to defend great TE's with them burning Miami's defense time and time again like it's going out of style.

Tyler Eifert would be the best & most talented TE in Dolphins history when all is said and done,, if Miami were lucky enough to land him. He would open up the offense quite a bit and be Tannehill's (a young developing QB's) best friend, making our young QB a lot better in the process

23. MoFinz

MoFinz Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

At what number in the draft was Welkers number called? You cant assume because you bottled lightning once you can do it again? Besides, we didnt even draft Welker, we signed him from the Chargers.

This draft looks to be CRAZY loaded for depth.....i'd trade down if i could and load up on depth, esp at CB, OL, LB and DE

24. j-off-her-doll

That was in direct response to a poster stating that Austin would not dominate the middle of the field BECAUSE OF HIS SIZE.

25. MoFinz

It was your comparison.....just saying, maybe there is another welker if you dig a little deeper.

Percy Harvin is great...when he doesnt cause distractions, have a migraine or sand in his vajayjay. Tavon MIGHT be great, but why not load up on depth since this looks to be the draft to do it with. Tavon wont be Julio or AJ you can count on that.

26. j-off-her-doll

It was not a comparison. It was an example. A guy that size can dominate the middle of the field. End of THAT discussion. You say Harvin is great - using him as a comparison point for Austin, I assume - and then list his drawbacks, none of which are shared by Austin. Essentially, YOU say that Austin can be a great player if he doesn't have the drawbacks he doesn't have.

27. Patrick_Bateman

Patrick_Bateman Rookie

This point seems to be lost on some people

28. dolphinsbshaw72

dolphinsbshaw72 Well-Known Member

Austin or Eifert.. Either one would make me smile..

29. dolphinsbshaw72

dolphinsbshaw72 Well-Known Member

Austin would be sick in this offense plain and simple.. You want playmakers for the Fins.. Then you take Austin or Eifert.. Austin added to what we have will be down right scary for defences to handle.. And Eifert would do wonders for Tannehill in the redzone and the seam.. Everyone wants D I get that but we need to score pionts to keep up with the better offences period.. Eifert and Austin give you that.. Take one of them with the 12 pick and go defences and oline the rest of the way..

30. Ruckus45

I think we have a difference of opinion of where the playmaking begins. You see Austin as a playmaker which I could agree is true. I see Tanne as the most important playmaker on the field and he showed how much better he was when healthy. He can't make plays on his backside. Look at the good QBs in the game, they make their WRs better- rarely the other way around. Look at good qb/WR combos without a good line (see bears & lions). No playoffs. Drafting OL is not sexy, but 4000 yard Tanne is. 1000 yard Miller is. OL helps both of those happen. Austin doesn't - or at least not nearly as much impact.

Also, look at who you have drafting. If Al Davis were drafting we would have Austin. We have two guys with a big history of the OL and drafting OL. They also tied their job to Tanne. They brought in WRs in the offseason and now it's inevitable they draft OL to protect him.

So all this Austin talk is fan man-crush. Understandable man-crush. With our Coach and GMs history, team needs, offseason, and available players in rd 1 we will not be seeing Austin come our way. Prob round 3 though - feel like they will pick up a quick WR there.

31. j-off-her-doll

I have a real problem with the idea that SB Competing QB's consistently make their WR's better - as opposed to the opposite. And if we're not talking about QB's who are competing for SB's, what are we talking about? Look at the WR groups on the last three SB Winners: Smith/Boldin/Jones (with a LT who appeared to be done as a player); Nicks/Cruz/Manningham (with major issues on the O-line); Jennings/Nelson/Driver/Jones (again, with an average-at-best O-line).

32. Ruckus45

According Football Outsider the Ravens were ranked 6th in run blocking and 14th at the pass blocking last year, NYG were 28 in run blocking but 6 in pass blocking in 2011, and GB was horrible. Of the top 10 teams in run blocking last year 8 made the playoffs and of the top 10 teams in pass blocking last year 7 made the playoffs. Of the bottom 10 in run blocking only 3 made the playoffs while in the bottom 10 in pass blocking only 4 made the playoffs. That's pretty telling. Im not saying we need to have an elite line - but our line ranked 21st in run and 17 in pass blocking and we lost Jake Long. Its pretty important to get the quality of out line play up.

I don't see how you have a problem with good QBs making players better. Good QBs throw their WRs open, put the ball in places for the WR to make plays - or sometimes even a catch. Sure, sometimes the WR helps out the QB by making some crazy catch, but you have to also realize that ball was thrown there usually because it is the only place either can make a play. If WRs could make QBs better I would expect more out of the QB carousel in Arizona.

33. SMadison29

SMadison29 What Sherman aspires to be

The best scenario is to hope Detroit takes Ansah at 5, Cleveland takes Milliner at 6, & Fisher is still on the board for Arizona to take at 7 allowing us to trade up with Buffalo or the Jets to take Lane Johnson without giving up either one of our second rounders. I'm not in favor of any scenario where we trade one of our second rounders for anyone in this draft. It's not too often we have multiple premium picks & with obvious long term holes at OT, CB, DE, DT, TE, & FS we're going to need those picks.

34. MoFinz

No, i'm saying using 12 on Austin seems a little silly when we have bigger holes to fill...like a CB to start opposite Grimes....or a LT to protect our franchise QB, or a DE to take some pressure off of Wake.....and speedy little playmakers can be found in the later rounds of this draft (like Welker was)

And what kind of weaknesses does Austin bring to the table....you're drooling all over his jock, but you havent listed any shortcomings in his game. Did you lavish all your praise on Ginn as well...we had bigger holes, went with the speedy playmaker who could bust open games and look where that went.

Just sayings all......

35. j-off-her-doll

So the only way WR's make a QB look better is by making some crazy catch? Obviously I was wasting my time entering into this discussion.

36. hunt4luck000

hunt4luck000 Active Member

I agree with that , Te is a must . maybe later with one of our 2nds we get hunter wr. i see red zone tds here...

37. j-off-her-doll

I was never a fan of Ginn. If you mean to compare Austin to Ginn, you've either never seen Austin play, or you don't know what you're looking at.

38. Scotty P

Scotty P Well-Known Member Donator

Agreed. He would be a luxury pick that would leave us with just as many holes.

Now if someone said draft Eifert in the first (at 12 or potential trade down).......then draft a guy like Swope in the 3rd, that would make sense. Swope is pretty fast too, and would be an upgrade of Bess (he could be used as trade bait). This would make our team pretty untouchable from a speed and talent standpoint.

Then we could use our 2A pick for a CB and 2B for LT, or vice versa.

39. PolitePolite

PolitePolite Well-Known Member

Giving up only a 2nd for Milliner is a no brainer.

40. Ruckus45

If that is all you got out of what I wrote maybe you are right - you shouldn't have entered into this discussion.

41. j-off-her-doll

Here's a way to make this simple.

Recent history has shown that you can make a SB and even win a SB with an average-to-below-average O-line.

Recent history has also shown that you have no chance of making the SB with average-to-below-average skill players on offense.

So what do we take away from that? Well, if you understand that 1+1=2, guys like T. Austin (who don't satisfy needs in some of our minds) are going to give you a better shot at competing for a SB than guys like L. Johnson. If you have a chance to add an explosive player, you do it. You don't have the luxury of bypassing explosive players for guys who will make your roster look more complete on paper.

42. Ruckus45

Well, you might try to make it simple but your still not correct. Like I said before, 8 of the top 10 OL in Run Blocking and 7 of the top 10 OL in Pass Blocking made the playoffs last year while only 3 and 4 of the bottom teams respectively did. The trend clearly shows that the better your OL is the better the chance you have of making the playoffs. Of the top 10 WRs with a min of 50 receptions only 5 of their teams made the playoffs. Of the Super Bowl teams SF had Crabtree rated 9th and Baltimore didn't a receiver ranked until Bolden at 29th.

Furthermore 3 out of the last 4 Super Bowl teams ranked in the top 6 of Run Blocking with the only exception being the Giants which were an anomaly in most categories that year anyway. New England has been in the top 10 in Run Blocking since 2007 and top 10 in pass blocking since 2007 except in 08. Interestingly 2008 was our best average OL and the year we made the playoffs.

So what do you take away from that? I take away that stats show that you are more likely to be in the playoffs with a top 10 OL. Stats show me an elite Run Blocking OL gives you a better shot at the Super Bowl. WRs are important but do not have any statistical gauge on your ability to make the playoffs.

Why do I think that is? A top 10 OL lets your playmakers do whats best - make plays. The number 1 playmaker on the field is the QB. They have the most TDs at the end of a season by and individual and the most yards. The OL keeps him up. The top 10 Run Blocking OLs extend plays with 3rd and 1 and goal line stands to punch in the ball. So for our team the stats show that L Johnson, Cooper, Warmack, Fisher, or Joekel will give us a better chance at getting into the playoffs than Austin.

43. j-off-her-doll

If you don't have playmakers, who is the offensive line allowing to do what? Two of the last three SB Champions had sub-par run-blocking O-lines. The Steelers and Colts also had sub-par run-blocking O-lines (two recent SB challengers). But all of the teams in question did have great skill players on offense. The Giants/Patriots game is a good example. The Patriots had the better QB and the better O-line. The Giants had the better WR's and the better pass rush. The talent at WR and pass rush allowed the team with the lesser QB to win.

How many of the bottom receiving units made the playoffs?

44. Ruckus45

We brought in playmakers this year. This isn't Madden where you can bring in everybody you want so we will prob look to bring in more next year. This year we still need Tanne on his feet. You're right, the NYG and GB and sub par run blocking OL but the majority of teams in the playoffs and Super Bowl didn't. I just proved that.

We are not a SB team this year but we could be a playoff team. Fix the OL this year, make the playoffs, and I'll be right with you next year screaming for guys like Austin. Heck, I still wouldn't mind taking a risk on one in later rounds as long as OL is first. Welker, Cruz, Amendola, and Bess were all UDFA. Might get a gem. If not, address next year.

Don't know about bottom receiving units - doesn't have that as a category. My guess is they are with a subpar QB though.

45. Morey161

Morey161 Well-Known Member

Other. I don't want to trade up for anyone. I want to use our extra picks for get more solid players.

46. RichmondWeb

RichmondWeb Greetings from Portlandia Finheaven VIP

"No brainer" as in making a decision without using a brain? I would hesitate to draft Milliner at #12 let alone waste draft picks to move up. Nothing against the guy, but good corners are a dime/doz in this draft and that's what he is: good...he ain't no Revis. I just drafted Amerson in our VIP mock in round 4 and he's as fast as, and bigger than Milliner; they all have some issues. Using a 1st round pick on a CB in this draft is an airhead move and trading up for one is just Ginnsane.

RW

47. j-off-her-doll

We brought in playmakers? We brought in a playmaker. Put Austin inside of Wallace, and that is a lethal combination. The D stretches because of Wallace, and Austin has the ability to make a D pay for giving that space. None of our current WR's are going to make a D pay for giving Wallace extra attention. You can get an OT in the 2nd or 3rd. If you have the opportunity to give your offense a piece that can take it to the next level, you do it.

48. Ruckus45

Well, Keller ranked 3rd in DVOA of all TEs showing he provides exceptional upgrade over Fasano- makes plays. Our current WRs will do more than you might think when opened up. I think they'll surprise this year.

I'm just saying the smart move now is protect the franchise qb using stats to back it up. Sure, it's safe but works. Just check this out: http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftoffensivetackles.php

49. j-off-her-doll

Would you rather have Joe Thomas and some average WR or Wes Welker with turbo boosters and some average OT?

50. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

Sign Winston for 3 million, trade down and acquire a third 2nd round pick or a third. Draft BPA.