Which draft scenario is most appealing to you? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Which draft scenario is most appealing to you?

Which player of the 3 would you be most intrigued if drafted? If not, explain other.

• Trade up for CB Dee Milliner (Swap of 1sts and one 2nd rounder)

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • Trade up for OT Lane Johnson (Swap of 1sts and one 2nd rounder)

Votes: 14 13.0%
  • Draft WR Tavon Austin at 12

Votes: 32 29.6%
  • Other

Votes: 49 45.4%

• Total voters
In a perfect world we take Austin 12 and trade back up into the 1st round and grab Trufant. The rest of the draft would be gravy for me.

You're wrong when you say Austin doesn't address any of our needs. We are still in dire need of play makers, and we're in need of a guy who can dominate the middle of a football field. Austin is a perfect fit, because the combination of he and Wallace would give D's fits. Wallace stretches out a D as well as anyone, and Austin is as dynamic in space as anyone.

He doesn't address any of our NEEDS, although he could very well address WANTS. We brought in Wallace, Keller, and Gibson to fill much needed voids. Don't forget, those three guys had 4x as many TDs as our WRs last year. Sure, they could improve still but we still have other NEEDS. Also, a 5'7" 175lb guy will not dominate the middle of an NFL football field. Maybe college not nfl.

For example - OL. Ireland has never hit a home run on OL outside the first round. Pouncey is turning into a home run and Long was until injuries. Even injured he was still really good. Outside round 1 you have Jerry who is barely serviceable and Martin who is a question mark. So, with 5 plug and play starting OL players that will be taken in the first 15 why not address an area of need with a great player?

Don't like OL? What about TE? Eifert is looking like he'll be a really good pro. Trade down a couple and take him while picking up extra 2nd or 3rd rd picks. You then have the big seam target for Tanne and more picks in round two to add depth or starters. He could dominate the middle more than Austin.

Still don't like TE or OL? Well, could use a pass rusher opposite Wake. Lots of good options should fall to us at 12.

He about CB? We have two starters coming off injury. Might be a more prudent idea.

Look, I like the Austin kid but don't think he works for us at 12. My early mocks had him in rd 2 before his stock really rose. I just think we have bigger needs now than a luxury, and that should make sense. We won 7 games last year with Hartline as a 1 and Fasano as the pass catching TE. With Wallace in the mix as well as Keller and Gibson plus having Bess back and healthy I would say our WRs are much improved for this year and not a NEED

I agree. We have resigned hartline, picked up Wallace and Gibson. I do believe we add another WR in the draft but it won't be at 12. We need to fill bigger holes at 12. I believe it should be OT, CB or DE. no other position. We need to fill one of those needs at 12 and they need to be our starter.

He doesn't address any of our NEEDS, although he could very well address WANTS. We brought in Wallace, Keller, and Gibson to fill much needed voids. Don't forget, those three guys had 4x as many TDs as our WRs last year. Sure, they could improve still but we still have other NEEDS. Also, a 5'7" 175lb guy will not dominate the middle of an NFL football field. Maybe college not nfl.

For example - OL. Ireland has never hit a home run on OL outside the first round. Pouncey is turning into a home run and Long was until injuries. Even injured he was still really good. Outside round 1 you have Jerry who is barely serviceable and Martin who is a question mark. So, with 5 plug and play starting OL players that will be taken in the first 15 why not address an area of need with a great player?

Don't like OL? What about TE? Eifert is looking like he'll be a really good pro. Trade down a couple and take him while picking up extra 2nd or 3rd rd picks. You then have the big seam target for Tanne and more picks in round two to add depth or starters. He could dominate the middle more than Austin.

Still don't like TE or OL? Well, could use a pass rusher opposite Wake. Lots of good options should fall to us at 12.

He about CB? We have two starters coming off injury. Might be a more prudent idea.

Look, I like the Austin kid but don't think he works for us at 12. My early mocks had him in rd 2 before his stock really rose. I just think we have bigger needs now than a luxury, and that should make sense. We won 7 games last year with Hartline as a 1 and Fasano as the pass catching TE. With Wallace in the mix as well as Keller and Gibson plus having Bess back and healthy I would say our WRs are much improved for this year and not a NEED

Welker doesn't dominate the middle of the field? Is it because of that 1/2 inch he has on Austin? When we're talking about comparable players for Miami's offense, the closest example is R. Cobb. Cobb is an inch and a half taller and about 15 lbs heavier. In every other way, Austin blows him out of the water. Quicker, faster, more skilled as a WR, more dynamic as a runner, already has shown the knack for working the middle of the field (not too much projection there). When you're making a list of needs, the top one should be: We need to add players that make us more dynamic. The GM's job is not to have the roster with the fewest areas that need improvement; his job is to put together the team that will win the most games. You win games by fielding teams that can make dynamic plays. We still NEED more dynamic players on offense. Austin will help this Miami team win more games than will Lane Johnson. And I like Johnson a lot as a player.

Eifert is debatable. I had Eifert in front of Austin for most of this off season, but I think Austin is the more special talent. Because of his combination of intelligence, speed, quickness, and strength (don't sleep on his strength), he's able to do things from the slot that are unfair. He's the biggest match up problem in the draft (Patterson could eventually pass him).

Bottom line, I can empathize with people who are reluctant toward Austin. I was reluctant for a long time. At some point, though, he was just too good, and he made too much sense for us. Currently, I have Carradine and Patterson ahead of Austin (for my option at 12), but Austin is really on Patterson's heels. Safer pick.

Also, aside from Wallace all of our WR's are mediocre, and I don't think you can win anything significant with just one WR who isn't mediocre. So, again, he does address a major need. Also makes the Hartline signing not as bad, because he can give us the explosiveness in the slot that Hartline lacks opposite Wallace.

Mistake. Pick #12 should be "game changer". Tackles are not. tight ends seldom. Way to conservative. T. Austin one of a kind. We can fill our other needs with our 4 picks in next two rounds.

Mistake. Pick #12 should be "game changer". Tackles are not. tight ends seldom. Way to conservative. T. Austin one of a kind. We can fill our other needs with our 4 picks in next two rounds.

You only say that because it's been forever since the Dolphins have had a good tight end. In fact, the history of the past 20 or so years is crap at the position.

You don't even know what it feels like to have a great TE on your team. You only know how difficult it is to defend great TE's with them burning Miami's defense time and time again like it's going out of style.

Tyler Eifert would be the best & most talented TE in Dolphins history when all is said and done,, if Miami were lucky enough to land him. He would open up the offense quite a bit and be Tannehill's (a young developing QB's) best friend, making our young QB a lot better in the process

Welker doesn't dominate the middle of the field? Is it because of that 1/2 inch he has on Austin? When we're talking about comparable players for Miami's offense, the closest example is R. Cobb. Cobb is an inch and a half taller and about 15 lbs heavier. In every other way, Austin blows him out of the water. Quicker, faster, more skilled as a WR, more dynamic as a runner, already has shown the knack for working the middle of the field (not too much projection there). When you're making a list of needs, the top one should be: We need to add players that make us more dynamic. The GM's job is not to have the roster with the fewest areas that need improvement; his job is to put together the team that will win the most games. You win games by fielding teams that can make dynamic plays. We still NEED more dynamic players on offense. Austin will help this Miami team win more games than will Lane Johnson. And I like Johnson a lot as a player.

Eifert is debatable. I had Eifert in front of Austin for most of this off season, but I think Austin is the more special talent. Because of his combination of intelligence, speed, quickness, and strength (don't sleep on his strength), he's able to do things from the slot that are unfair. He's the biggest match up problem in the draft (Patterson could eventually pass him).

Bottom line, I can empathize with people who are reluctant toward Austin. I was reluctant for a long time. At some point, though, he was just too good, and he made too much sense for us. Currently, I have Carradine and Patterson ahead of Austin (for my option at 12), but Austin is really on Patterson's heels. Safer pick.

Also, aside from Wallace all of our WR's are mediocre, and I don't think you can win anything significant with just one WR who isn't mediocre. So, again, he does address a major need. Also makes the Hartline signing not as bad, because he can give us the explosiveness in the slot that Hartline lacks opposite Wallace.

At what number in the draft was Welkers number called? You cant assume because you bottled lightning once you can do it again? Besides, we didnt even draft Welker, we signed him from the Chargers.

This draft looks to be CRAZY loaded for depth.....i'd trade down if i could and load up on depth, esp at CB, OL, LB and DE

At what number in the draft was Welkers number called? You cant assume because you bottled lightning once you can do it again? Besides, we didnt even draft Welker, we signed him from the Chargers.

This draft looks to be CRAZY loaded for depth.....i'd trade down if i could and load up on depth, esp at CB, OL, LB and DE

That was in direct response to a poster stating that Austin would not dominate the middle of the field BECAUSE OF HIS SIZE.

That was in direct response to a poster stating that Austin would not dominate the middle of the field BECAUSE OF HIS SIZE.

It was your comparison.....just saying, maybe there is another welker if you dig a little deeper.

Percy Harvin is great...when he doesnt cause distractions, have a migraine or sand in his vajayjay. Tavon MIGHT be great, but why not load up on depth since this looks to be the draft to do it with. Tavon wont be Julio or AJ you can count on that.

It was your comparison.....just saying, maybe there is another welker if you dig a little deeper.

Percy Harvin is great...when he doesnt cause distractions, have a migraine or sand in his vajayjay. Tavon MIGHT be great, but why not load up on depth since this looks to be the draft to do it with. Tavon wont be Julio or AJ you can count on that.

It was not a comparison. It was an example. A guy that size can dominate the middle of the field. End of THAT discussion. You say Harvin is great - using him as a comparison point for Austin, I assume - and then list his drawbacks, none of which are shared by Austin. Essentially, YOU say that Austin can be a great player if he doesn't have the drawbacks he doesn't have.

You're wrong when you say Austin doesn't address any of our needs. We are still in dire need of play makers, and we're in need of a guy who can dominate the middle of a football field. Austin is a perfect fit, because the combination of he and Wallace would give D's fits. Wallace stretches out a D as well as anyone, and Austin is as dynamic in space as anyone.

This point seems to be lost on some people

Austin would be sick in this offense plain and simple.. You want playmakers for the Fins.. Then you take Austin or Eifert.. Austin added to what we have will be down right scary for defences to handle.. And Eifert would do wonders for Tannehill in the redzone and the seam.. Everyone wants D I get that but we need to score pionts to keep up with the better offences period.. Eifert and Austin give you that.. Take one of them with the 12 pick and go defences and oline the rest of the way..

I think we have a difference of opinion of where the playmaking begins. You see Austin as a playmaker which I could agree is true. I see Tanne as the most important playmaker on the field and he showed how much better he was when healthy. He can't make plays on his backside. Look at the good QBs in the game, they make their WRs better- rarely the other way around. Look at good qb/WR combos without a good line (see bears & lions). No playoffs. Drafting OL is not sexy, but 4000 yard Tanne is. 1000 yard Miller is. OL helps both of those happen. Austin doesn't - or at least not nearly as much impact.

Also, look at who you have drafting. If Al Davis were drafting we would have Austin. We have two guys with a big history of the OL and drafting OL. They also tied their job to Tanne. They brought in WRs in the offseason and now it's inevitable they draft OL to protect him.

So all this Austin talk is fan man-crush. Understandable man-crush. With our Coach and GMs history, team needs, offseason, and available players in rd 1 we will not be seeing Austin come our way. Prob round 3 though - feel like they will pick up a quick WR there.

Back
Top Bottom