Which free agent needs to stay?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by roy_miami, Jan 24, 2013.

?

Who do we need to re-sign?

1. Long

33 vote(s)
    18.9%
  2. Smith

40 vote(s)
    22.9%
  3. Bush

76 vote(s)
    43.4%
  4. Hartline

84 vote(s)
    48.0%
  5. Starks

103 vote(s)
    58.9%
  6. Fasano

33 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

With everything considered (price/need/character) who do you want to see back in a Dolphins uniform next season?

2. airmaxx28

airmaxx28 Member

Reggie Bush he is our only playmaker at this point and Jake Long at the right price.

3. kvado16

kvado16 A True Fan

Reggie, and Brian both quality players with great character.

4. ROADRUNNER

ROADRUNNER FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

It has to be Reggie, thank god no one picked Long.............

5. Mogwai

Mogwai Seasoned Veteran

Though I'd sign 4 or 5 of those because I see no need to weaken our team, I wouldn't consider any of those players irreplaceable foundational players, like Wake was last year or Reshad next year.

6. Buff

Buff From a galaxy far far away.... Finheaven VIP Donator

Long. Although his played declined this season due to injuries, a great left tackle is hard to find. He is still worth resigning, as our O line is not that deep. RB is OK if Bush leaves, and although I want Hartline to stay, and expect that he will, I think we will draft a couple of WR early anyways. His possible loss could be covered. Smith is another one thatn if he goes, could be hard to replace. Not great, but solid, and we need DB help, but Long would be the biggest loss IMHO.

7. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 The D will RushYa, Like Moscow Donator

Smith. Solid starting CB on a team that is weak at the position.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

8. number1fin

number1fin #onephin Donator

Long • Injury riddled

Smith • Too soft

Bush • Playmaker

Hartline • Zero redzone production

Starks • Disappears during stretches

Fasano • Non seam threat

9. chegui

chegui Rookie

Starks is the best DL in this team and Miami needs to sign him

10. KTDolphins

KTDolphins You have made me angry very angry indeed

Starks and Bush. Although invisible at times, Starks is solid and would only make another team's line that much better. I say Bush, because I believe they did not utilize him fully this season and only started to figure it out at the end. If we can get WR locked up, I believe Reggie just adds another dynamic to the offense that the defense has to prepare for. I see screens being very effective to Reggie if we get the downfield threat we need. The combo of Bush and Miller make for some interesting schemes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2013
  11. MrEd

MrEd A True Fan

Jake Long is #1. Then I'd say it's Reggie Bush. Smith and Clemons I think are also should re-signs, but the rest are replaceable. But I'd like Starks back, but Odrick and a 1st or 2nd round pick can replace Starks though. Hartline and Fasano will be told see ya.

12. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Smith is the main one for me.

Then Hartline and Bush.

13. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

I think this team needs to bring back Hartline and bush
    Smith and Starks are tossups. I wouldn't care either way if they were let go or brought back.
    i wouldn't even offer Long or Fasano a contract personally.

14. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

I would have to say Jake Long, then Randy Starks. Our DL is our strength and with another pass rusher when we get into our nickel defense (which we run 60-70%) of the game with Starks and Odrick getting push up the middle it really opens up things for Wake. And we will add another pass rusher to atleast play nickel and maybe start in base defense as well. LT is such a hard positional to fill. We can have 57 million in cap space if we Cut Marshall and Patterson and 52 if we only cut one. If we gave Jake Long 10 million a year we would still have 42-47 in cap space for a few of our own free agents (starks, fasano, bush) and a few big name free agents. I know everyone wants Long to go but who else are we gonna pick to fill his spot besides a first round pick on another offensive lineman. Martin is not a franchise LT otherwise he wouldn't have fell to the second round.

15. Ghetti17

Ghetti17 Active Member

Of those players...barring a willingness to come back at a discount...only Fasano.

16. bawein2001

bawein2001 Rookie

Long, bush, hart line and Starks......that's it. Free agent cb and draft 1 or 2.

17. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

Move Odrick to DT and sign a DE in FA. Why pay Starks. we need a DE/OLB who sacks QBs.

Long needs to be sign at the right price. If not then Hartline is second.

18. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

It is pretty hard to find decent cornerbacks. While $6M/yr seems a ridiculously high figure, Sean Smith has shown steady improvement and would be hard to replace. My inclination would be to resign him as the top priority and to save the money by letting Jake Long walk. I would like to resign Hartline but if he's asking for crazy money, ie upwards of $5M/yr, I'd let him walk too. While he makes a decent #3 WR, he can be replaced if we need to. Fasano would make a decent #2 TE, but it is more important to sign or draft a genuine playmaker as our prime TE than to resign Fasano.

19. joenhre

joenhre Starter Donator

Signing/Drafting a big time Defensive End should be a priority. However resigning Starks should also be a priority. Moving Odrick to DT to rotate with Starks and Soliai should be the plan. If both Starks and McDaniel leave who is your depth at DT? Do you want to rely on just Kheeston Randall and Chas Alecxih?
    I would rather keep the strength of the interior Defensive line intact. Lack of quality depth at Linebacker killed the Dolphins this year why create the same problem on the defensive line?

The Dolphins should make it a priority to resign the quality players that were already on the team such as Starks, Bush , Hartline, Smith, Fasano, and Clemons. I am not saying overpay these guys but the team needs to make sure that they have some decent depth. I would say resign Long as well but his salary demands factored in with his recent injuries along with the drop in the quality of his play lately , I would say the Dolphins just let him walk.

So the two guys who I would make my top priority to resign are Starks because he key to keeping the D-line strong. Followed by Bush because he is one of the few play makers the team has had the last couple years.

Next would be Smith. He may not be a top corner but he would be a quality #2 corner. I wouldn't pay him more than 6 mil a year but if they can get him at a that rate on maybe a 3 or 4 year deal then he should be resigned. If not then you look at another CB in free agency. They need to find a #1 corner either way. I would rather have the new Corner starting across from Smith then have to rely on Carroll, Marshall (who I believe should be cut because he was always a liability in coverage even before the injury), or Patterson who will most likely be cut as well.

I would also try to resign Hartline. He would be a good #3 receiver but I wouldn't pay him more than 5 mil per season. Also I would make a fair offer to Fasano. He is a good quality #2 tight end. I would also try to resign Clemons because I believe he provides quality depth to the secondary. This of course is contingent on the Dolphins drafting one of the top Safeties, resigning Smith or signing another CB (possibly 2) and/or drafting a top CB.

The Dolphins lack depth at many positions which is why they shouldn't let all of their own free agents walk. Of course most of us can see that they lack quality starters at WR, DE, TE, CB, S, OG & OT. I don't believe they will be able to fill all of those holes this offseason but if they make the right moves they should be able fill most of them.

20. electrolyte

electrolyte A True Fan

Reggie needs to stay. valuable weapon on offense.

21. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

I voted Bush, as he is the excitement of this teams offense. Maybe one day Miller and Thomas will be, maybe not.

I'd like to keeps Starks and Hartline 3rd. I see him as the middle man of our receivers. Bess in the slot, Hartline, and whoever we bring in as the no.1

22. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

thats funny, I could see the complete opposite happen.

Coaches love Fasano's versatility and he did score 5 TD's this year. We will get a young stud in draft. Not FA. Why spend more money on someone who's production is similar? They dont know the system.

Hartline's asking price is not breakiing the bank. They like that and they like Harltine. If we did not have Hartline this year our WR core would have netted us about 2 wins...to the enjoyment of many on this board.

23. phinschamp45

phinschamp45 Well-Known Member

Starks is a game changer keep starks... Then hartline and then fasano in that order.

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

the other 2 scrubs can walk..Sean Smith is an erratic mess and bush has fumble problems....He plays a gAME AT PRO BOWL LEVEL AND THEN PLAYS LIKE A CHUMP THE NEXT.

24. russianbear

russianbear A True Fan

I voted Hartline because of the chemistry him and Tannehill developed, his 1000 yard year, and the fact that it would free up our draft needs to allow us to pick up some DBs and DEs. I'd also like to keep Starks too.

Bush I feel like will not be worth any 3+ year deal and I doubt he'll settle for less, also feel like his style is similar to something we have much cheaper in Miller. I trust him enough to put some more responsibilities on his shoulders.

25. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

Smith was rated the worst CB in the league in MULTIPLE statistical categories...he is by far the worst player out of the 6.

26. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan Perennial All-Pro

Bush and Starks need to stay in Miami both very solid players

27. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

We need Starks for sure. Hartline as well.

28. MrEd

MrEd A True Fan

Long and Bush are "must bring backs" imo as they are two top level in their respective positions. The thing about Fasano is that he won't play for the veterans' minimum. And I disagree on the fact about "similar production" thing as Fasano does not stretch the middle of the field and isn't a seam threat. He's basically a blocking TE with above average hands. We can get that in a cheaper young guy.

Hartline as I've iterated many times makes no sense to bring back as we need to bring in "two" maybe three playmakers at WR and that leaves no spot for Hartline, who likewise will not play for the veterans' minimum. He's basically a #3 WR and we have Bess, Matthews, and a draft pick to man those spots. We need "two" quality starters at WR. So bringing Hartline back takes away that second starting WR spot we need to upgrade at.

Now, not going to say that Ireland won't entertain the idea if he agrees to return for cheap, but it just doesn't make sense because then you aren't "upgrading" the position.

Back to Long and Bush in order to hit this point down about Hartline. You need Long because it gives us "two" quality starting LTs along with Martin should one get injured. And you have one good backup with a developmental one. Same with Bush. He and Miller give us two quality starters should one go down to injury. You keep Hartline and Jennings gets injured and you basically have the same receiving corps that we had last year, that blew. No, you bring in Jennings "and" a 1st or 2nd round pick in order to have "two" quality starters should one go down to injury, you still have another #1 type to carry the torch. And you draft another speedy guy in the mid to late rounds to fill the role of #4 WR if the #4 moves up to #2 in the case of an injury.

Point is that you need "two" #1 types in an important position like LT, RB, and WR. This is also why I am of the school of thought that we should make Matt Moore the highest paid backup QB in the league. As insurance should Tannehill go down to injury.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2013
  29. MrEd

MrEd A True Fan

I don't feel Starks is a "must bring back" because we have Odrick to move inside where we can re-sign McDaniel at a much cheaper contract to be Odrick's backup. And McDaniel can start in the case of an injury. We "need" to bring in a pass rusher to start opposite Wake should Wake go down to injuru, the high draft pick can start and Vernon can step in to his spot and the high draft assumes Wakes pass rusher role with Vernon playing opposite him. Yes. Smith is a "must re-sign" too. And so is drafting "two" CBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. For the same reasons I gave above.

30. sirvmac

sirvmac Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm with the majority lol!
    But seriously, for me it's only Starks, at this point I don't want to see any of the other guys back.

31. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

What are these mythical stats he was last in?

32. Ed Norton

Ed Norton Scout Team

I hope they can keep:Bush - lack of playmakers as it is why make it worse? I like Miller but the running game could be all on him and I'm not sure that's a good thing.Hartline - One of the only WRs that has proven he can contribute somewhat significantly. Even bringing a playmaking WR or two Hartline probably still fits in.Starks - next thing you know somebody goes down and they have problems. Fasano - not the big time TE everyone wants to see but it's not like he's totally worthless. One of the only guys that can catch a TD right now.

33. WVDolphan

WVDolphan A True Fan

1. Starks
    2. Hartline
    3. Fasano

The other 3 can walk.

34. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Clemons