Which Undrafted Free Agents Are Turning Heads in OTAs? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Which Undrafted Free Agents Are Turning Heads in OTAs?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
57db012dadc57d84ee550d36ea2c664e_crop_exact.jpg

Miami Dolphins wide receiver Drew Morgan quickly developed into a star during the team's OTAs. According to the Miami Herald's Barry Jackson, the Arkansas product was the most impressive performer on the field beyond the team's top three wide receivers.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2713916-which-undrafted-free-agents-are-turning-heads-in-otas

Hopefully we don't end up having to cut him only to watch him go to New England and be a solid contributor like Hogan...

Chris Hogan is an excellent athlete and it is why he has excelled. Morgan doesn't come close to him in that respective category.

Hogan should never have been cut. There were not 5 WR's on the roster better than him at that time. Big screw up by the pre-Gase era Fins management...Hogan flashed from Day one, he had speed, size, and hands...ridiculous move letting him go.

NE did not make Hogan, he was already a solid WR...Buffalo, like Miami failed to see his value.

I like Drew, but not sure how he makes the team with Landry, Stills, DVP, Carroo, Scott, Grant, all ahead of him. Carroo is a baller, not sure why this site kills the kid for lack of production when he barely got on the field last year. Grant needs another year before we throw him to the scrap heap, too much speed/potential to let go right now.

I also like the Ole Miss WR if he can cure his case of the college dropsies.

While I am happy for Morgan I would much rather be reading about a player at any other position other than wide receiver and certainly on the interior offensive line, linebackers or defensive tackle.

If he makes the team, Drew Morgan would be our Wayne Chrebet. If he makes a movie, they'd call it Rudy. I know the media loves him at the moment, with no hitting or even pads, but to me, he seems like a long shot despite his good showings so far. Who knows though, maybe he will prove me wrong. I hope he does.

There are some UDFA's who I'm interested to see play. Not sure how much we can tell before the pads go on, but I'll be watching Praise Martin-Oguike, Chase Allen, Eric Smith and the DB candidates with much interest.

Hopefully we don't end up having to cut him only to watch him go to New England and be a solid contributor like Hogan...[/QUOTE

I believe it came down to either keeping Hogan or a late round pick named Rishard Matthews. I would say Matthews was the right choice. If we had the same two players fighting for a developmental role I would take Matthews 10 times out of 10.

Last edited:
Every season we have a guy who looks like a world beater in shorts during OTAs but when training camp starts and the pads go on, they disappear.

It's going to suck having Moore throwing to Grant, Carroo and Scott in preseason games and then trying to judge Morgan, Lewis, Ford, Owusu and Stringfellow with most of their time coming with Dougherty and Fales throwing the ball. I hope the third group of receivers gets some time with Moore throwing the ball. Maybe the weaker 3rd qb play will be evened out by the fact they'll be facing 3rd and 4th string db's.

It's going to suck having Moore throwing to Grant, Carroo and Scott in preseason games and then trying to judge Morgan, Lewis, Ford, Owusu and Stringfellow with most of their time coming with Dougherty and Fales throwing the ball. I hope the third group of receivers gets some time with Moore throwing the ball. Maybe the weaker 3rd qb play will be evened out by the fact they'll be facing 3rd and 4th string db's.

Though preseason defensive schemes are often bland (as well as those of the offense) coaches are much more adept at analyzing a player's skillset by the nuances of the position as opposed to mere statistics.

What I mean by this is that when they are evaluating a WR they are looking at his stance, his ability to read the coverage presnap, his ability to execute the proper route vs that coverage, etc. rather than just viewing what the common fan sees in box scores in terms of the amount of targets, catches, and TDs.

Relating again to the WR position those situations (preseason specifically) are not advantageous to critical factors such as the chemistry and camaraderie needed for proper QB/WR communication to execute plays at what is normally seen at a high level. Because of this, coaches are viewing players from a different lens than what typical fans may perceive as a productive or positive outing.

Last edited:
I'm sure the coaches will grade the receivers on a lot more than what kind of stats they put up in preseason. But seeing that a lot of us only get to see the players in a few preseason series I just hope they get a chance to make some plays.

Chris Hogan is an excellent athlete and it is why he has excelled. Morgan doesn't come close to him in that respective category.
And who know he is a lesser athlete how? His tape in college look a hell of a lot better then Hogans did. Plus Hogan has Brady throwing to him so any one with that situation wold look great just saying.

I believe it came down to either keeping Hogan or a late round pick named Rishard Matthews. I would say Matthews was the right choice. If we had the same two players fighting for a developmental role I would take Matthews 10 times out of 10.

We should have kept both.

And who know he is a lesser athlete how? His tape in college look a hell of a lot better then Hogans did. Plus Hogan has Brady throwing to him so any one with that situation wold look great just saying.

Morgan's college tape has nothing to do with the fact that Hogan is an elite athlete among elite athletes.

http://www.patriots.com/news/2016/05/25/gronk-chris-hogan-among-50-fittest-pro-athletes

http://www.stack.com/a/patriots-und...athletic-freak-here-are-the-stats-to-prove-it

https://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2016/10/new_england_patriots_wr_chris.html

Back
Top Bottom