Who do our new rookies compare to in the NFL?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who do our new rookies compare to in the NFL??

WISfinfan13

Enter at your own risk...
Reaction score
After reading scouting reports on these guys and watching videos here is what I think...

Vontae Davis-Cross between Pat Surtain and Champ Bailey.
(His college coach Ron Zook compared him to Rod Woodson)

Vontae has the ball skills of a younger Pat Surtain. And like Surtain, Vontae has a tendancy to peek at the QB, and play the ball which can hurt him. Vontae isnt nearly the shutdown corner Champ Bailey is, but he has the all around skill set that he could become that good. But like Champ, Vontae is a strong tackler who isnt afraid to come up and make a hit.

Pat White- Cross between Micheal Vick, and Antaan Randel El.

First off he is twice the QB Seneca Wallace and Kordell Stewart. He doesnt quiet have the quickness and elusiveness of Micheal Vick (its kid of close, but White is "tuffer") . His arm isnt as strong as Micheal Vick, but Ron Jawarski says his arm strength is good enough to be a successful NFL QB. Jawarski also says his accuracy is way above Vick's. Jawarski also said in terms of pure passing he was the best at the combine and is good at hitting WR in stride. He will probably have a learning curve in terms of his decision making and the wildcat adds a new wrinkle. If it doesnt work out at QB, he is athletic enough to deveolpe as a WR (ala Randel El).

Sean Smith- Cross between Antrel Rolle and Al Harris.

The trifecta says he is going to be a corner. At 6'4 214, I cant find any corners currently in the NFL with that kind of size. For a big guy he is fast, and is good in vertical coverage. Like Harris he has had the most success playing bump coverage, but needs to work on his tackling (especially with his size). He has only been playing corner for one year. Like Antrel Rolle a change to safety might be nessisary. Having played WR in the past he has very good ball skills, and once he makes an INT has a nac for the big return. Should match up well in the redzone with Randy Moss and TO.

Patrick Turner- Cross between Every USC WR, and Ernest Wilford

He has the size the Dolphins are lacking at WR. He was the number one recruit coming out of highschool and never really lived up to expectations. But IMO it has more to do with the amount of talent at USC, so he got lost in the shuffle. Not afraid to go over the middle and has good hands. Like Wilford he is on the slow side and his work ethic has been questioned. He needs to work on getting off the line and using his body to sheild the defenders (similar to Wilford). USC has a poor track record with WRs. But hopefully he can model his game after Keyshawn.

Brain Hartline-Anthony Gonzolaz.

Decided to come out early only because Prior had problems getting him the ball. Before Prior took over and Hartline got injured many people at OU thought he was better than Gonzolaz (who was a first round pick by the Colts). Great hands and good speed. At, 6'2 he has the size. Film on him shows he isnt afraid to go over the middle and is quick in space (after the catch). He could be a real steal and I think he will have an immediate impact for the Dolphins (before Turner).

What do you guys think???

THink if you put that much effort into it you could be pretty close. I really hope hartline sticks seems to be an interesting player.

Turner is going to be better then Ernest Wilford and All the other WR from USC that is the only one i have a problem with

Idk, i'm not a huge of comparing any rookie to other players this early on.

only one that comes to mind right now for me is Nnamdi Asomugha at 6'2''

Thats the only one I could find and Sean is even bigger. After reading about their skill sets they are very similar. But I couldnt justify comparing him to the best CB in the NFL.

You'd think if you put that much time and effort into it, you'd have spelled at least a few names right. And can we please not start comparing our rookies to proven veterans and future HOFers? Right now there is nothing to compare to besides physical size and tendencies. I'm sure we could find a hundred similar players to each of these guys if we tried hard enough (except maybe Pat White), and only a few would be decent players. Here's hoping these guys pan out and play well in our system, we don't need them to mimic careers.

You'd think if you put that much time and effort into it, you'd have spelled at least a few names right. And can we please not start comparing our rookies to proven veterans and future HOFers? Right now there is nothing to compare to besides physical size and tendencies. I'm sure we could find a hundred similar players to each of these guys if we tried hard enough (except maybe Pat White), and only a few would be decent players. Here's hoping these guys pan out and play well in our system, we don't need them to mimic careers.
i'm not even trying to mimic careers,i'm just mentioning similar sizes...

First off sorry about the spelling I was at work, and had to keep going back and forth. Please forgive me.

Second, I didnt compare our draft picks to any of the players "carrers" rather their skill sets. If you took the time to read my post you should figure that out.

This is just like people trying to give players nicknames. Let them play and establish themselves before trying to do that. What if they turn out to be busts.

Mike Mayock compared Vontae to Ron Bartell which is a decent comparison, I think a best case scenario is Antoine Winfield.

Pat White will be Antwan Randle El, I don't care what is said, White will not be a QB for the Fins, but he screams ARE circa Pittsburgh Steelers.

Sean Smith is a hard comparison, maybe Bobby Taylor?

Patrick Turner has a skill set similar to Keyshawn Johnson, but is not the playmaker Keyshawn was at the same time. Is what we thought Ernest Wilford was.

Brian Hartline is a taller Anthong Gonzalas

Dunno about the rest

I would say Vontae Davis is similar to Sheldon Brown, but I don't know everything about Sheldon Brown, just that he's very physical and is a great hitter, so please don't attack me for it :lol:

Back
Top Bottom