Who Is Adam Gase (opinion) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Is Adam Gase (opinion)

I haven't seen anything to date that tells me Adam Gase's success as a head coach will have more to do with anything but how well he gets his quarterback to play.

Last year his quarterback played poorly to start the season, and so did the team. When his quarterback played much better, so did the team.

This year his quarterbacks have played very poorly, and so has his team.

That tells me the jury should still be out on whether he's truly head coach material, or simply someone who should be viewed as an offensive coordinator who may have the ability to maximize his quarterback's play.

What indicators would tell you the coach is responsible for wins any more or less than QB play? IE: what type of correlations with wins would identify the head coach is moving the needle?

As for the OP...I think people typically have a grass is greener take when coaches either speak honestly and openly or don't say anything at all. I remember when Joe Philbin used to keep his lips tight at the pressers after a loss...typical lines "whole team let us down" "we let the team down" "everyone needs to do better" "work on it and try to get better" etc etc...we were roasting him for the coach speak. Now we have a firemouth speaking bluntly and with emotion and certain people don't like it....

To me Gase has done very well considering what he's had at QB. Yes, he brought in Cutler, but I liked the risk at the time and thought it was a good chance to take. Our alternative was Moore or relying on another one of the mediocre FA agents to come in and get comfort and absorb the offense. With his options, Cutler was the obvious choice, he just looks like absolute crap.

He's had some bad signings, but I take that with Tannenbaum as well and Gase trying to compensate for what was a handicapped season LOSING OUR STARTING QB. That's the biggest emphasis to me, so those giving him shade after this year....not justified IMO.

We get 5-15 minute Q and A a few times a week during the season. We know nothing about him. Everything we do not know is a vacuum that people fill with their confirmation bias and persona disposition. It’s quite a thing to read stories after stories which people make-up by projecting their own failures and proclivities.

We get 5-15 minute Q and A a few times a week during the season. We know nothing about him. Everything we do not know is a vacuum that people fill with their confirmation bias and persona disposition. It’s quite a thing to read stories after stories which people make-up by projecting their own failures and proclivities.

Bahahahaha, now that was funny, thanks man, that was a great pick me up. After sitting through the fine offensive and defensive showing by this team against Carolina, freezing my Butt off, and having listen to sweet Caroline for three hours, it's nice to have fellow fans around who have enough sense of humor left to joke about the way things are headed.

The Ever Lovin Gallows Humor VIPER

Bahahahaha, now that was funny, thanks man, that was a great pick me up. After sitting through the fine offensive and defensive showing by this team against Carolina, freezing my Butt off, and having listen to sweet Caroline for three hours, it's nice to have fellow fans around who have enough sense of humor left to joke about the way things are headed.

The Ever Lovin Gallows Humor VIPER

Sorry you had such a bad time. Carolina girls...

He'll be fired within 3 years.
Something tells me that he won't end up like your hearthrob Joe, de facto demoted 2 levels, coaching one of the worst OLs in the league,getting a franchise QB killed, closing in on or setting the record for most QB sacks in a season and with the new GM is probably a dead coach walking. What's next for him? Strength and conditioning coach???

Honestly, your assessment of coaches needs some work!

So, I would like to present the following for your entertainment. I have no inside information, don't know Adam Gase, or any of the detailed circumstances that have led the Dolphins to this "juncture". However I do believe there is enough cumulative data to begin to understand him and this teams circumstances a bit more clearly. It's obvious that one of the issues irritating fans the most is his "management style", which includes personnel decisions, of course lack of winning does not help, but this "style" seems to make it worse.

The Ever Thoughtful VIPER

I think there are a couple of problems with your conclusion:
1) Lets compare Gase in the context of your thesis to Belichick. He doesn't yell and scream. Of course, players who are late, fight with his coaches, don't play up to expectations, freelance, don't know the playbook better than they know the names of their kids and wives, etc, with the lone exception of Tom Brady just disappear into the night like in a bad mobster movie.

What's the difference between the two situations? BB has a nucleus of a team and system humming along and everyone other than Brady is replaceable. He's proven he can win, so, he can get away with a straight up, no room for any deviations, 'My way the the highway' team. No one says a word other than 'Wow, he got rid of X and the team hardly missed a beat'. If you look at all the other high performing coaches throughout the years -- including Shula -- that is a consistent pattern. One or two stars get some leeway and the rest of the team is on a very, very short rope.

Gase doesn't have the luxury here to put his foot down. He knows he has to find ways to win NOW. He doesn't have a track record to fallback on (yet, we hope). This team isn't stocked with talent and some of our #2 are a big drop-off in play, so how quick can he afford to be with just quietly firing players? I would guess that it had to take a ton of crap to push him to make the JA trade.

2) You contend that his style is making things worse, yet the team came from nowhere last year and made it to the playoffs. We can see from the play this year, just how balanced on a razors edge we were, and now are, in talent. That would suggest that while he's not in BB's league (and let's face it, that's a lonely place), he's not incompetent.

3) The NFL is a complicated place. The players are slowly gaining more and more power. 40+ years ago, if a player screwed up, they would be out of the game -- no second chances. Since free agency, there are almost always second and third chances so the coaches power has diminished. All too many of these kids come from a middle class or less life and suddenly find themselves millionaires over night. That means many of them have FU money day one and they know if it doesn't work with team A with a little contrition they get to play with team B.

Finally, with the WIN NOW mentality that permeates the league, the better players have even more power over their teams as the drop off from a #1 to a backup can be huge and when you combine that with the number of players that will go out with injuries, most coaches (rightfully?) can't afford to play hardball during the season.

Probably could make that statement about alot of coaches honeslty..

True but they all have the same things in common. Either they are average coaches and/or they have average QBs.

Which brings us to the crux of the problem; we need some longevity, but at the same time we probably won't regret starting over now.

Your opinion is duly noted however I see valid reasons for his tirades and decisions. The NFL players get paid too much money "not to get it". It's the coach's way or the highway. Enough is enough with this team. Do we want the Dolphins to be perennial cellar dwellars? NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey NY, whats up.
Since I've been laid up for the past few days, I was watching some past Mike Francesa stuff on the Jets, and hilarity ensued.
Anyway, I agree, the coaches way, or the street. Also NFL players make wayyy too much money to be wandering around in a daze, not caring, or just plain acting like idiots. However, and this is a personal opinion obviously, I just do not believe that calling out players in public will change anything. My point being, if someone really doesn't fit, you shake hands, and wish them well, and get someone else. This team is so bad at this point, I mean seriously bad, bringing out this stuff just seems to be counter productive, and brings attention to the dysfunction. The fact that I am critical of A. Gases "Style" doesn't mean i want him to fail, it just means I STRONGLY disagree with the way he manages people. Anyway, I look forward to the day the team is not a bottom dweller, and maybe, juuuuuust maybe, a SuperBowl.

The Ever Fins Up VIPER

I think there are a couple of problems with your conclusion:
1) Lets compare Gase in the context of your thesis to Belichick. He doesn't yell and scream. Of course, players who are late, fight with his coaches, don't play up to expectations, freelance, don't know the playbook better than they know the names of their kids and wives, etc, with the lone exception of Tom Brady just disappear into the night like in a bad mobster movie.

What's the difference between the two situations? BB has a nucleus of a team and system humming along and everyone other than Brady is replaceable. He's proven he can win, so, he can get away with a straight up, no room for any deviations, 'My way the the highway' team. No one says a word other than 'Wow, he got rid of X and the team hardly missed a beat'. If you look at all the other high performing coaches throughout the years -- including Shula -- that is a consistent pattern. One or two stars get some leeway and the rest of the team is on a very, very short rope.

Gase doesn't have the luxury here to put his foot down. He knows he has to find ways to win NOW. He doesn't have a track record to fallback on (yet, we hope). This team isn't stocked with talent and some of our #2 are a big drop-off in play, so how quick can he afford to be with just quietly firing players? I would guess that it had to take a ton of crap to push him to make the JA trade.

2) You contend that his style is making things worse, yet the team came from nowhere last year and made it to the playoffs. We can see from the play this year, just how balanced on a razors edge we were, and now are, in talent. That would suggest that while he's not in BB's league (and let's face it, that's a lonely place), he's not incompetent.

3) The NFL is a complicated place. The players are slowly gaining more and more power. 40+ years ago, if a player screwed up, they would be out of the game -- no second chances. Since free agency, there are almost always second and third chances so the coaches power has diminished. All too many of these kids come from a middle class or less life and suddenly find themselves millionaires over night. That means many of them have FU money day one and they know if it doesn't work with team A with a little contrition they get to play with team B.

Finally, with the WIN NOW mentality that permeates the league, the better players have even more power over their teams as the drop off from a #1 to a backup can be huge and when you combine that with the number of players that will go out with injuries, most coaches (rightfully?) can't afford to play hardball during the season.

Excellent post...thanks.

I loved Gase after last season, and had a lot of faith in him this season, so much so I drank the kool-aid on questionable personal choices. I would still feel that way even with 5 wins if we saw a prepared football team that played hard and smart, but that isn’t the case. We have so many stupid penalties, we constantly are unprepared and do t show up till after half time, he has said these guys still don’t know the offense 1.5 years in to his tenure, and so much drama off the field, all point to the fact we are poor leadership at the top.

That being said it’s year two. Coaches who have a long tenure are so much more consistent because the majority of the players know the system and can teach the new players. Next year will define Gase. I just hope he gets to be free of Tannebaum before his story is written.

Gase is a guy that calls one hell of a game as a play caller

The London Philharmonic Orchestra has the best musicians in the world in it. Top of their game... But if I got up there to conduct it, well they could play the notes on the chart but it wouldn't be the same - no emotion, no creativity. Cutler/Moore they are just not good conductors.

Ask Gamling, he's helping him with his armor.

Hey NY, whats up.
Since I've been laid up for the past few days, I was watching some past Mike Francesa stuff on the Jets, and hilarity ensued.
Anyway, I agree, the coaches way, or the street. Also NFL players make wayyy too much money to be wandering around in a daze, not caring, or just plain acting like idiots. However, and this is a personal opinion obviously, I just do not believe that calling out players in public will change anything. My point being, if someone really doesn't fit, you shake hands, and wish them well, and get someone else. This team is so bad at this point, I mean seriously bad, bringing out this stuff just seems to be counter productive, and brings attention to the dysfunction. The fact that I am critical of A. Gases "Style" doesn't mean i want him to fail, it just means I STRONGLY disagree with the way he manages people. Anyway, I look forward to the day the team is not a bottom dweller, and maybe, juuuuuust maybe, a SuperBowl.

The Ever Fins Up VIPER

I'm good, representing the Fins up here as always. My friends think I'm crazy anyway. I can't listen to Francessa he's a clown. Anyway I hope your doing okay and ultimately we have the same endgame in mind, Fins to be relevant once again. A toast to that......Fins Up!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom