Who the Dolphins should really be targeting in FA | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who the Dolphins should really be targeting in FA

PHANTASTIC13

Active Roster
Reaction score
This off season is looking terrible so far with Landry gone and Suh departure looming. Worst thing about it is the players they are adding just don't make sense. If I were the GM, I would go after a guard like the Giants Justin Pugh who can play both G spots and fill a need. Next I would try and sign Carlos Hyde who can boost the running game and be a compliment to Kenyan Drake. After that, go hard after A.J. McCarron QB to be the back up to Tannehill and a good insurance policy if Ryan is injured again. Maybe add another player to the secondary if a good one is available who is also young and good all round player. They can fill other holes in the draft like LB, TE and QB.

Those are all good fits but the cost would be prohibitive.

You mean the off season that really hasn't started yet?

I said before the offseason started that I rather get a participation ribbon over a 1st place trophy when it comes to the offseason. I'd much rather build through the draft and get bargains in free agency. Maybe spend 8 million on a decent guard or something but I wouldn't over do it. You can draft an Albert Wilson type of player every year in the draft which is why it's better to draft. The cost is significantly less.

This off season is looking terrible so far with Landry gone and Suh departure looming. Worst thing about it is the players they are adding just don't make sense. If I were the GM, I would go after a guard like the Giants Justin Pugh who can play both G spots and fill a need. Next I would try and sign Carlos Hyde who can boost the running game and be a compliment to Kenyan Drake. After that, go hard after A.J. McCarron QB to be the back up to Tannehill and a good insurance policy if Ryan is injured again. Maybe add another player to the secondary if a good one is available who is also young and good all round player. They can fill other holes in the draft like LB, TE and QB.

Pugh has been on a slow downward trend. He's played in 16, 14, 11, and 8 games the last few years. Too risky I think.
I like Hyde but he wants to be paid like a starter.
McCarron will be getting starter money somewhere. He's not affordable to us if we keep Tannehill.

They are better options than an unproven 25 yr old WR with only one big game on his resume and a 33 yr old WR who is on the downside of his career. No wonder the Patriots weren't in any big hurry to extend him. The GM's job is to identify the weak spots in the roster and fill it with talent that the very least is an upgrade. It is early and plenty of time to land some talent. the question is...are the Dolphins committed to winning or are they just trying to save money? There is no problem spending money if a player produces on the field, but throwing it foolishly to players who hardly deserve a huge contract is poor management.

Back
Top Bottom