Who the Dolphins will pick at 12, and why?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by BlueFin, Apr 8, 2013.

1. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

I do believe the Dolphins are hoping one of the top 3 LT's falls to 12, which I believe explains the dragging of the feet by them on Eric Winston and Branden Albert.

I don't believe any of these 3 will fall, which leaves the Dolphins looking at Corners that are not that much better, if any, than corners that can be had in round 2.

Wide receivers are the same, deep draft and quality can be had later at this position as well. Same for the tight end position.

I don't believe any of these end pass rushers are exciting enough for pick 12 either.

That leaves me with the position where I believe the best player available plays and where I believe the Dolphins will go.

Randy Starks is franchised, Soliai is on the final year of his deal....so.....BlueFin predicts the number one overall pick of the Miami Dolphins will be:

Star Lotulelei...DT Utah...Will disrupt the QB and provide pass rush from inside.

2. jimthefin

jimthefin Well-Known Member

I think they will take a big guy at 12.

One of the LT's if they drop or maybe Shelden Richardson who would be an excellent replacement for Starks after next year.

But Vacarro is an interesting prospect though maybe a bit of a reach at 12.

3. TXFinFan

TXFinFan Pro Bowler

I think we will take the highest rated IMPACT player. Either Austin, Eifert, Patterson, or a pass rusher

4. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2013
  5. Phinsfan93

Phinsfan93 A True Fan

A 1st rounder is supposed to be an immediate impact guy, how is he going to impact the game if he's behind 2 other DTs and probably a 3rd with Odrick?

6. BlueFin

I believe Lotulelei would have a huge impact on this team, he has been compared to Ngata by many. Again, Starks is franchised for one year, Soliai has one year left on his deal.

That screams the need for a DT for the future to me, with of course the other holes on this team getting filled in the draft this year.

I see this as the best player available scenario.

7. Dogbone34

Dogbone34 cowboy surfer

I still take the blue chip TE from Notre Dame - Tyler Eifert

8. BlueFin

I would not have a problem with Eifert, however, I don't think they will see the great difference between Eifert and some of the guys that are expected to still be there later in the draft(Travis Kelce for example).

I see Star Lotulelei as an impact player that will change games, I think when the Dolphins actually draft you will see Ireland does as well. You can't get players of his caliber at his position later in the draft, you can at other positions.

9. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

If Lane Johnson is still on the board at #10, I would offer the Titans our 12th pick and 3B pick for us to move up two spots to get him. I think this would be a fair trade. But if not, take Tavon Austin at #12, and we can get our LT later.

10. BlueFin

No way I give up 38 to move up 2 spots....never, at best maybe the 2nd 3rd rounder.

11. ahmilli

ahmilli Rookie Finheaven VIP

I like Star, Werner, Trufant, Eifert, or Carradine because they'll be impact players... No to Ziggy..

12. Pinkboy

Pinkboy Banned Hammered

He said 3B as in 3b...... not thirty-eighth overall

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2013
  13. Ruckus45

Ruckus45 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Here is one more interesting tidbit on why I think we need to draft Cooper or Warmack. Last year we ran 51% (about league average) of our running plays between the guards. 51% is pretty crazy especially to think that John Jerry was one of those guards who was pretty subpar. By bringing in Cooper or Warmack we instantly have one of the best interior lines in the NFL to which we run over half of our running plays. Then we just bump out Jerry to compete with Yeatman and Garner at RT with Martin at LT. Most pass rushes are 4 man so Guards, TE, and RB can help if needed. Doesn't really fix the OL but at least fixes it where we use it.

14. BlueFin

My bad...sorry Roman, and I agree!

15. normaniii

normaniii A True Fan

I agree 100% ...... You would also improve 2 spots as incognito is a better player at RG than LG.

In addition, everyone is mentioning the fact that Soliai & Starks are FA next year, but incognito & jerry are too. Next year I'm sure Odrick slides inside, but neither Cog or Jerry fit the ZBS.

I know it's not the sexy pick, but Warmack or Cooper will turn into what we now have with mike pouncey. The idea if having a left side of Martin-Cooper-Pouncey, for the next 6-8 years is very appealing

16. Slainte

Slainte High Five

The more I think about it, the more I think its going to be a tackle. OT or DT. We will sit at 12 and wait and see which of the 6 top tackles fall to us.

3 OTs
    Joeckel
    Fisher
    Johnson

3 DTs
    Floyd
    Lotulelei
    Richardson

17. TruePoizon

TruePoizon Well-Known Member

all it would take to move up to spot #4 is our 1st, 2nd and 4th...thats not bad to get Luke Joeckel or Eric Fisher.

But if we stay at 12, I think playmaker is the need. Bjoern Werner. Someone to go after the QB; I think Star is a good DL, but doesnt he have heart issues? Id be kind of worried.

A good RT and OG can be had in the 2nd round: Pugh, Armstead, Long. We have two 2nd round picks, we can easily get 2 of them. As much as Id like Tyler Eifert, we already have Dustin Keller whos a good TE...sures hes only one year deal, but a TE is someone who doesnt need grooming. If we get Tyler Eifert, he better start right away. And we dont really need two starting TEs.

So, i think a DE like Bjoern Werner is the best pick IF we stay at 12.

18. Morey161

Morey161 Banned Hammered

1) Lane Johnson
    2) Jonathon Cooper
    3) Tyler Eifert
    4) Star

19. MexDolfan

MexDolfan Seasoned Veteran

I have pointed that's the best option if we can't trade up for Johnson.

20. MexDolfan

In fact it's a pretty short draft board.

Mr Pinocchio, I mean Mr. Ireland said they have more love for Joeckel and Fisher than for Johnson, but after understanding zone-blocking O-line, it's clear that Philbin and Sherman will claim for Johnson as primary target.

So drafting at #12 you need at least 12 players on a draft board:
    01) OT Lane Johnson
    02) OT Eric Fisher
    03) OT Luke Joeckel
    04) CB Dee Milliner
    05) DT Sharrif Floyd
    06) DT Star Lotulelei
    07) OLB/DE Ezekiel Ansah
    08) OLB Dion Jordan
    09) OLB/DE Bjoern Werner
    10) G Chance Warmack
    11) OLB/DE Barkevious Mingo
    12) TE Tyler Eifert
    13) OLB/DE Damontre Moore

21. JamesBW43

JamesBW43 You're standing on my neck Finheaven VIP

Sheldon Richardson. Soliai and Starks are aging and at the end of their contracts. Richardson seems to be good value at the pick as well as a hard working, reliable player.

I might've said Lotelulei as well if I thought he would be there at 12, but I just don't think there's any chance.

22. MexDolfan

That has been my argument for Lotulelei, but Sheldon is worth using 12th pick overall on him. Sheldon would require the same time to adjust that other 2nd round options.
    I would look someone else.

23. JamesBW43

JamesBW43 You're standing on my neck Finheaven VIP

On second thought, I take it back, I can see how Lotulelei can fall to the phins. But I think I'm sticking with Richardson. I don't know why he would need time to adjust, but if so, he wouldn't be an immediate need anyway.

24. Dolphin39

Dolphin39 Pro Bowler

25. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

Dolphins will not pick at 12. They will pick somewhere between 3 and 6. And the pick will be one of Fisher, Joeckel, or Johnson.

26. Dolphin39

Dolphin39 Pro Bowler

If you are correct, I'd lean it this way...

Fisher
    Johnson
    Joeckel

27. JERSEYFINFAN23

JERSEYFINFAN23 Starter

I don't understand what people mean by a reach at 12 --
    too trade down you have too have a partner. who knows if your player will be there at your later pick. most of the time u have 1 ea 1st round pick.
    so if they want Eifert or who ever who will be the starter for the next 10 yrs, and a Pro bowler for the next 8 yrs, who cares! get your Player!!
    the team gets better drafting for talent vs drafting for need. can never have enough pass rushers, DB's and WR's that can do it all
    so I hope Ireland and Philbin select the player with the most talent, and desire too win vs what expects think