Who will be the steal of the draft?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Dolphinator530, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Dolphinator530

Dolphinator530 Well-Known Member

So come draft time every year there are players that are risky or overlooked due to injury history, character issues, poor testing/measurables or lack of playing time and even if the tape says they can ball they get passed over (ala Zach Thomas, Jake Scott and Donald Driver ).

So with the draft fast approaching who in your opinion will be the steal of the draft and why?

Mine....
    Cornellius "Tank" Carradine - Big body, talent is there but is overlooked for good reason the other two ends on FSU were Werner and Jenkins not to mention the ACL injury. I think he was starting to round into form before the injury and says he will be 100% by April meaning he can get some workouts in before the draft. I like his burst and his ability to play with leverage and you can never question his motor as this dude goes for it every play. With the injury he may not be a 3 down guy to start but honestly I think this guy can be a very good player.

I want to note if you think the draft steal is a 1st round guy but will go later than you think he should GO FOR IT.

2. Canadi-Phin

Canadi-Phin I hate everyone else in the AFC East

Honestly a guy like Lattimore who is going to get drafted later on and produce big numbers down the road. Another is Christine Micheals guy has all the ability in the world especially in the right system if he can grow up. It may be only for a two year stretch but he's going to do well for someone.

3. Dolphinator530

I didnt even think of Lattimore that guy is a BEAST as a UGA fan i have seen him in big games and dude can ball. Someone taking him in the 6th might get a very Terrell Davis kinda player.

Another is Justin Hunter, Patterson is putting up big numbers at the combine and has a great highlight reel but Hunter is a stud was fast becoming a top 5 pick till he hurt his knee. This past year was his first year back that 2nd year is typically the one where most (YES NOT YOU AP) come back into form he is a legit 6'4 and can run and attacks the ball in the air could be a HUGE steal.

4. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

I completely agree with you on Carradine. He's the #1 DE on my board.

It's usually a good bet to find some RB that has the skills you're looking for at that position, but will be available late because he runs a 4.6 in the 40-yard dash. The Arian Foster/Alfred Morris type back...

5. silverfin

silverfin FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Stedman Bailey

6. Dolphinator530

I want Carradine on the Dolphins, I have no idea where you would have to draft him especially if he can work out before the draft and shows even flashes of what he is capable of. I love when a guy plays as hard and with as much heart as that guy does, other stuff can come and more than likely will come when you work as hard and have the intensity to do so.

7. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

Carradine would be a great addition, but the word is out. He is going higher, his stock is rising.

8. BringBackDan13

BringBackDan13 Well-Known Member

I have to probably go with a guy like Marcus Lattimore who, because of that injury, could go into the 5th or 6th rounds. If he can overcome that injury he's gonna be a beast. I've seen a bit of tape on him and that guy is just an absolute animal.

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Tank Carradine is going to rise to where he's no longer really a steal. He's a great player, but I think there are indications he's going to be correctly valued.

Right now Marquess Wilson looks like one of the most underrated players in the Draft. To hear the media tell it, he'll get all the way into the 6th or 7th round. He's WAY better than that. He belongs in the top group of wide receivers, more so than a few guys that are considered in that group.

10. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

If he is on the straight and narrow then Honey badger in the mid rounds could be a steal.

11. ckparrothead

Joseph Fauria is going to be another steal. His red zone work in particular is going to translate to the NFL and when he catches touchdowns at the next level suddenly people will be thinking, why did we allow this guy to get into the 5th round?

Dennis Johnson is so underrated it's criminal. Impossible to watch any Arkansas tape, no matter who you are trying to focus on, and not notice #33 making plays all over the place. To not even be invited to the Combine is ludicrous. Either he's got military graveyard's worth of skeletons in his closet (possible) or there are a lot of people that just don't "get it" with him.

Quanterus Smith is another guy that is injured and forgotten. He's shaping up to be a classic Yeremiah Bell or Adewale Ogunleye type steal. Everyone's seen his Alabama game. But nobody has the cojones to translate it into a high grade despite his injury. Tank Carradine is finally getting the traction he should. Quanterus Smith is not. Not saying he's a 1st rounder or anything, but relative to what his real value is, the 7th round/UDFA status you see out there makes him severely undervalued.

Shamarko Thomas another one. Don't overthink it. A well muscled, good tackling, instinctive safety with experience and true 4.3 speed. He might not be so undervalued after tomorrow, come to think on it.

12. Dogbone34

Dogbone34 cowboy surfer

Matt Barkley

13. ckparrothead

The problem with the honey badger is even if he had no off field issues I think he'd max out at about a Javier Arenas 3rd round pick. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I view him.

14. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Perhaps, I agree physically he doesnt stand out, in terms of speed etc. But as a nickle/slot corner I think he can bring value to a team. Eg. I view him as an upgrade over Marshall, a long term CB starter in say round 4 sounds like good value to me.

15. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

well word on Tank Carradine is way ahead of schedule for his rehab and he may be able to do a private workout or 2 before the draft.

As a Big 10 fan, my choice is Michael Mauti if he can overcome another knee injury. Hard to over look his intangibles.

16. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Carridine is a great choice.

I'm rolling with Rambo, though.

17. PSUFAN

PSUFAN Active Member

Marques Wilson wr

18. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

I'm gonna go with the two FSU DE's who unfortunately ended their seasons with injuries, Jenkins with foot, Carradine with an ACL. I am HUGE on Ansah from BYU but I like those 2 more than their teamate Werner or Mingo or Montgomery.....etc. Could also go with Lattimore, if anyone is gonna come back from that gruesome injury it is him.

19. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Hey Slimm. Do you think Carradine makes it to Miami's pick in R2?

20. Buddy

Buddy Right Wing Nut Job Moderator Finheaven VIP

I pretty well agree with except that they are outright better than Werner...better values definitely yes but not better. Werner is a stud as are Jenkins and Carradine.

21. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

There are a few that come to mind. If he gets his head on straight, Da'Rick Rogers could be a steal as a guy with 1st round talent that may go in the 3rd or 4th. I think Chase Thomas will be a steal if he makes it to R3. Devin Taylor could also be a steal as a late round guy. Hardly anyone's talking about him, but he's been pretty productive and has monster size at 6-8 270. Quinton Patton could be a "relative" steal, but I could also see him drafted late R1 which is where his value falls IMO.

22. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

2 WR's I think could turn out to be the ultimate steals. 1) Robert Woods - He has flown under the radar all season long in spite of his abilities. Before the season started almost all of the pre-season mock drafts had him as a high 1st round pick. He got lost in the shuffle at USC and played with a bum ankle most of the season and it caused him to lose his cutting abilities he was so famous for. He's looked healthy again while performing drills at the combine and seems to be back to his old self. I know a late 1st round pick or high second round pick aren't usually considered steals but in Woods case I think you can say it. He is the best route runner in the draft and will make someone very happy in the late 1st round (GB,NE,Bal). 2) Marquise Wilson - He suffered through a coaching change and a bad attitude throughout the season and eventually quit on his team. He is going to fall in the draft and will make a true steal on day 3 of the draft. He looked very good in the combine drills, catching the ball really well. IF he can get his head screwed on straight, this kid could turn out to be a real weapon for someone looking for a WR. I have been hoping for Robert Woods to fall to Miami at #42, but am not as hopeful anymore due to his great combine showing. He truly looks like a 1st round steal. Wilson is an enigma who's going to make or break a teams heart. He has all the talent in the world, but it gets lost in his off field issues. Too bad for this kid he's lost alot of money, because, of is short comings off the field. I'm rooting for him to turn it around and really take the bull by the horns once he gets into the NFL.

23. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

It's hard to say, because we don't know where these guys will go, but I'd say Duke Williams and Robert Alford are two guys that stand out in very deep classes of Safety and CB.

Can't pass Carradine if he's there at #42. I'd consider him at #12.

24. NUGap

NUGap Well-Known Member

Can't disagree with your sentinments on Carradine. I've recently seen the light, so to speak, regarding Tank. Worked up some numbers/ charting on him and they tell a tale of an excellent pass rusher. Love that athleticism at his size. So long and a variety of pass rush moves too. Haven't checked him out in the run game yet, but good stuff so far. I'd run the card up at 42 if he was there.

25. ckparrothead

Oh hai, other Cornelius! Thanks for showing everyone a little early why I created this video for an upcoming Draft Winds featurette on you.

[video=youtube;HFqf-avlERs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFqf-avlERs[/video]

Just broke off a 4.53 in the 40 yard dash at 6'4" and 265 lbs, after doing 36 bench reps.

26. j-off-her-doll

That dude is a freak athlete. Kind of felt like Al Davis watching him run the 40. After I saw him get off the line, I didn't feel like I needed to see the time.

27. ckparrothead

For that matter, another draft steal in the making.

[video=youtube;TSr5VelnWgU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSr5VelnWgU[/video]

Also ripping it up out there in Indy.

The way Cornelius Washington and Devin Taylor tore up the Senior Bowl and Shrine Game, respectively, reminds me so much of how Marques Colston and Brandon Marshall tore up the Shrine Game and Hula Bowl, respectively.

28. TdownRbrown

TdownRbrown Rookie

With WR being deep in this draft, I'd think there will be a steal out of that group. Robert Woods looked great at the combine and great on the field if it weren't for the fact he was overshadowed by marquise Lee and poor play calling.

Also think Johnathon Cyprien could be a pleasant surprise at Safety as well as Kiko Alonso at ILB. Alonso is an ILB which doesn't normally hold the highest value, but as A dolphin fan for myself at least, the position always holds a special place in my
    heart thanks to #54

29. j-off-her-doll

Speaking of freak athletes, I forgot that Gooden had a pick at the Senior Bowl. As far as the LB's running, Washington and Gooden looked like the best athletes - regardless of time.

30. NUGap

NUGap Well-Known Member

Awesome athlete, like what little I've seen of him. My rudimentary system while watching the Senior Bowl practices was to put check marks next to a prospects name whenever I saw something positive during a rep. At the end, Washington had by far the most check marks out of any prospect I had seen during the practices. I looked around after that for information on him, didn't see a whole lot, and just kind of thought I was crazy. What's his range of where he could go as of now?

31. ckparrothead

Gooden had nearly the exact same pick return for touchdown uncer nearly the exact same circumstances during the week of practice, too.

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

Among the real linebackers though, Sio Moore continues to hold my attention.

Which is why I also included him in this little featurette for an upcoming Draft Winds.

[video=youtube;ul91__cokpw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul91__cokpw[/video]

32. TedSlimmJr

As I've mentioned before, I'd put Lonnie Pryor as one of my leading candidates to be the type of back I'm referrencing. I think some team is going to convert him to tailback and appear to be a genius.

I believe he can be the kind of back Raymont Harris was for the Bears back in the 1990's when he was healthy. Harris was a guy that the Bears converted to tailback because he was essentially a tailback playing fullback. I remember watching Harris run for 230+ yards against BYU in the '93 Holiday Bowl... which is still an Ohio St. record for rushing yards in a bowl game.

Zac Stacy, Lonnie Pryor, Michael Ford, Latavius Murray, D.J. Harper, Rex Burkhead are some of the value picks at RB in this draft in my opinion.

33. ckparrothead

He did next to nothing at Georgia although he was a starter. Watching how they played him, it's because they played him in such a multiple role with so many responsibilities. He couldn't play fast.

He needs to be a defensive end. I don't like that they invited him to the Combine as a linebacker. He's the spitting image of Mark Anderson.

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Cooled on Dennis Johnson?

34. j-off-her-doll

Washington just ran an unofficial 4.50.

I'm really curious to see what teams make of him. He looks like a better football player - and athlete - to me than Ansah. Don't know how much his lack of production - speaking of sacks, etc - will make teams eh-ish about him. But he looks like a 1st Round player. From the Senior Bowl to this point, he's a 1st Round player all day. Of course, that's where people get in trouble.

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

That makes a lot of sense to me - for why his production doesn't look better.

35. TedSlimmJr

Not so much cooled on Dennis Johnson, I still think he's undervalued by the league. I certainly felt like he should've been at the combine, particularly over a handful of these 5'6"-5'7", 190 pound "scatbacks" running 4.8's that they invited. Just a complete waste of invitations here. Johnson deserved to be there.

I have his value similar to that of D.J. Harper, although Harper's age dings him a little in my book.

Zac Stacy is the kid I really like as a value pick at the position.

36. SMadison29

SMadison29 What Sherman aspires to be

I know you've been a big fan of his since the beginning of the year but the guy quit on his team & not in the traditional sense of not playing hard but actually quit. Not that I'm a fan of Mike Leach but he's a puss compared the the coaches & the locker rooms of the NFL. He's demonstrated that he doesn't have the pyschological make-up to last in the league & then lied about abuse by the Washington St staff. To me that's a bigger red flag than a drug user. He's just someone you can't trust & would become that weasel in the locker room going to the media behind the team's back. That's why he's a 5th-7th rounder.

37. ckparrothead

I think you're overstating things quite a bit.

For one thing I would rather have a player that actually quit the team literally because of unreconcileable differences between himself and the coaching staff, than a guy that quit metaphorically like you said at the beginning.

For another, Mike Williams of Syracuse quit on Doug Marrone and his staff too. You know what he's done since he joined the NFL? How about catch 192 balls for 2728 yards and 23 touchdowns in 3 years. Hasn't been a problem in the locker room. In fact this year the Bucs were coached by a coach that most consider to be among the most strict and overbearing taskmasters in the entire NFL. Mike Williams has been fine. Caught for 1000 yards and 9 TDs, and is now in talks for a contract extension.

So you might want to revise your claims on what Marquess Wilson has or hasn't shown.

As for the allegations of abuse against the staff, I think you should really read up on the whole thing before you (poorly) recollect what was actually said, what was actually alleged, and what actually happened. Because you don't have your facts straight.

38. Pat-London

Pat-London A True Fan

Thanks for sharing... what round would you target him in. Seems like an interesting player, and me thinks we will double up on DE's... and considering in the first few plays of this you had Ansah [who I like at 12] opposite him, I'd certainly get excited about the future of DE with those 2 on the roster learning from Wake [I'd like to see Vernon switch to OLB]

And on a more humourous note - for a moment I had a flash back to Ted Hendricks...

39. ckparrothead

Prior to the Combine, I'd have said the 3rd round is where he's sure to end up going. But he's really blowing the doors out of Lucas Oil Stadium so the 2nd round wouldn't be shocking.

What I just have to say is...don't make the same mistake Georgia did. He's incredibly athletic and so naturally you want him out in space and doing all these things. But all you're doing is slowing him down, giving him too much to think about, asking him to move around when he's really at his best going straight ahead. Just have him focus on one thing...rushing the passer. He has so much natural ability that if you let him do that from right end I don't think you'll regret it.

He's so much like Mark Anderson, IMO.

40. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

My two steals of the draft......

Darius Slay, CB, Mississippi State, and

Joseph Randle, RB, Oklahoma State

Neither guy has blazing speed...they both are probably in the 4.55-4.65 range, so they may drop to the late third or 4th round.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2013
  41. TedSlimmJr

I think the difference with Mike Williams was that he was facing a suspension by the University. He might as well have quit.

There's no question that Wilson belongs in the top 2 or 3 underclassman WR's in this draft in terms of talent, but I have questions regarding his coachability and attitude.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle in my opinion.

I believe that Wilson was lazy and had terrible practice habits. I also know that Coach Leach is a little...... different, shall we say... and doesn't always treat his kids in a fair manner. But the bottom line is, Wilson is the only kid that quit. He was trying to make an example out of the most talented player he had in order to get everyone to turn around their poor practice habits, because the team wasn't going to quit losing until it happened.

Coaches will try different methods to get their point across, and perhaps Leach went too far. Then again, perhaps he didn't. Perhaps the majority of the blame falls squarely on Wilson.

Joe Namath was the most hard to handle, wreckless, difficult to deal with player Bear Bryant ever had. All he wanted to do was stay out all night partying and drinking. He was the worst. Bear even kicked him off the team once because of it. Bear turned the tables on Joe...

Instead of everyone else trying to be responsible for Joe and making sure he was in the hotel room at curfew and doing what he was supposed to be doing, Bear put his biggest problem child in charge of the entire team... Joe had to make sure they were the one's in their room at curfew and doing what they were supposed to be doing.

If everyone quit everytime they felt like were treated "unfairly", it would require nothing to persevere. I don't believe for a second that Marquess Wilson couldn't have gotten on Mike Leach's good side if he wanted to be. He just didn't want to have to earn it. He wanted it automatically while expecting the coaching staff to coddle him and deal with his poor practice habits and entitled attitude.

42. Buddy

I like Lonnie Pryor quite a bit but didn't know how the transition to RB would work. The only negative I can say about him is he seems to fumble a bit though not horribly. I need to look up that stat to ensure I am not mistaken.

43. j-off-her-doll

D. Rodgers is a guy whose talent I like a lot. Take away the Red Flags, and I don't think K. Allen is a better prospect. Potential steal there.

44. Pat-London

Pat-London A True Fan

Oh, I agree... what I meant was I'd like to see Olivier Vernon at OLB... not Washington.. he's clearly an end, let him get after people.

45. TedSlimmJr

He's only fumbled once in his entire career, in the 4th quarter against USF. He's had 175 total touches (carries, receiving, kickoffs) and that one is the lone fumble.... recovered by Florida St.

46. SMadison29

SMadison29 What Sherman aspires to be

I don't want neither type of quitter on the team. Unreconcilable differences? The kid was afraid of hard work. I'm 100% sure I have recollected the story correctly. He was suspended for walking out on a workout, quit, lied about coach abuse, recanted the lie with another lie saying he didn't intend it to be construed that way.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...se-mike-leach-washington-state_n_2111238.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...t-mike-leach-washington-172000214--ncaaf.html

Although you bring up a good point with Mike Williams quitting their circumstances were quite a bit different. Williams had academic problems then the car accident which put him on the verge of being suspended again. Wilson had no prior history of bad behavior. It just shows bad character.

47. Buddy

I must have got my RB confused, Pryor apparently only had 1 fumble in 41games and averaged 8.0 YPC and had 8 TD this season. He split carries with a lot of good backs and can catch. I would like to have him for sure.

48. Buddy

My bad, you are correct. I got my guys confused...hate it when that happens.

49. ckparrothead

I think the Mike Williams situation was just as bad if not worse. Academic cheating, to which he NEVER confessed to, other issues during practices, finally screwing up by getting caught partying late at night on the way back from a local casino. His suspension wasn't necessarily going to be a year, as I recall. But rather than face it he just quit. Then he tried to come back. Then Marrone made it clear he's better off not doing so.

But I share your opinion that this is a situation where bad meets bad and creates really bad. I don't think Marquess Wilson is a diligent worker that does everything right.

But at the same time, everything I've read, heard and seen about Mike Leach over the last couple of years makes me not respect him. At all. He seems to regard his players like you would an animal. And that's with the press. That's one difference between himself and Nick Saban. Saban can be as much of a hard-@ss as anyone off the field, but in the press he will defend every kid. Mike Leach will openly call out their manhood with the press, and then treat them that way in practice.

And in this you're exactly right, he took the most talented player on the team and targeted him, as a means of getting the ship turned around. Don't be surprised when that player, who is a grown man, decides he really doesn't need to take that kind of crap.

But the most important thing in all this is not some romanticized concept of justice, whose fault it is, who is to blame, etc. The most important thing is determining whether a player can be a valuable asset to an NFL organization or not.

There are very few coaches even in the NFL that would treat their players like Mike Leach treats his, IMO. And Miami's are not among them. Seeing Mike Williams become a valuable asset in the NFL, I would be emboldened to give him a chance and let his talent shine. He's not going to quit on a coach like Joe Philbin, that's for sure.

50. j-off-her-doll

The three guys who are - at this point - infamous for having tremendous athletic ability, but who require a lot of projection, are Mingo, Ansah, and Jordan. Washington should probably lumped into that group. I'd draft him before I draft Asah or Jordan - if I'm looking for a 4-3 DE.