Who Will Re-structure | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Will Re-structure

danephin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Do you think Fiedler will want to re-structure his contract, so he'll have the upper hand in staying with the team next year? Obviously Griese won't re-structure, so if Fiedler lowers his cap number, he's pretty much guaranteeing his future in Miami. Unless of course he stinks up the joint.

Obviously Griese won't re-structure, so if Fiedler lowers his cap number, he's pretty much guaranteeing his future in Miami.

I don't see how it's obvious. If he becomes the starter or Fiedler is cut in the offseason, I'm sure Griese will sign an extension & restructure.

Cut Cut Cut

Perry
Ruddy
McKnight if he underperforms, Marion u.p., Bowens u.p.

We will have to restructure more than Fiedler/Griese next year!! One of them will not be with us next year but then you must look at our other players and positions. I read an article that as it stands we will be about 18 million over the cap next year. That is alot of resructuring!!!

Bowens has an option bonus of $1.8 million to activate 2004-2006. Option payments are both a roster and signing bonus. Why? Well, if not paid, player becomes FA and if paid, it can be amortized through the remaining years of the contract.

Hey Clump, remember last week I said that drafted rookies count towards the top 51 vs the cap & you said they didn't. Why else would this article(http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/6035145.htm) say:

The contract leaves the Dolphins approximately $1.8 million under the salary cap for next season, which is roughly the amount they will need to sign their rookies and any injury-prompted acquisitions and other moves during the regular season.

I also read somewhere last year that draft rookies count towards the cap.

They count towards the rookie cap. each draft choice, until officially signed, basically counts $225,000 (rookie minimum) towards the rookie cap. $225,000 is not among the top 51 salaries, so they don't count vs the overall cap until the final 53 man roster. ALL signing bonuses count vs both caps at all times.

The reference of $1.8 million under in the article is obviously an error and they meant the 2003 cap not the 2004 cap. I'll bet a year's salary on that :D Why can I say that? Well, what's the 2004 salary cap? It's not released until February 2004. I projected a cap of $77.5 million or 2004 based upon the average increases from previous years, which is a standard budgeting tool used in business

Originally posted by dolphindew
We will have to restructure more than Fiedler/Griese next year!! One of them will not be with us next year but then you must look at our other players and positions. I read an article that as it stands we will be about 18 million over the cap next year. That is alot of resructuring!!!

Where did you see this article?

i think if we cut feidler there will not be much money thrown at him. i think we could get him back for dirt cheap.

If you use 2002 draft choice signing bonuses, Miami will need about $1 million. Plus each team needs $340,000 for a full allocation to the practice squad.

$1.8 million available in 2003.......no way that means 2004

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
They count towards the rookie cap. each draft choice, until officially signed, basically counts $225,000 (rookie minimum) towards the rookie cap. $225,000 is not among the top 51 salaries, so they don't count vs the overall cap until the final 53 man roster. ALL signing bonuses count vs both caps at all times.

This is a little confusing but it is what is actually writen in the CBA. The rookie allocation pool, the calculation which is not made public, is calculated according to draft round and position. The Dolphins allocation this year is $2,782,469. So it would seem that the first and second pick calculation would qualify for the top 51 salaries but not per Compution of Team Salary rules.

What about Section 7 Valuation of Player Contracts: paragraph 5
(which is the 51 player rule)
(2) Any amount that exceeds twice the applicable Minimum Active/Inactive List Salary for all other players.???

This seems to imply if the rookie allocation is more that twice the minimum $225K * 2= $500K that portion would be included. ???? So if Eddie Moore"s rookie allocation is $533K then $33K should be included in the overall cap until he signs.

first off danephin :welcome: a-board

we have no cap room for any re-negotiation of Jay's contract nor would it be beneificial to the psyche of the team and the campaign to squach a QB contraversy. We will have to wait for Jan or Feb 2004 to find out the answer to this for our QB...

Perry and McK still are out there are needing to restructure, but at this point McK looks entrenched; however, Perry c/b in trouble if he does not look like he is going to win the starting job.

Back
Top Bottom